It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two way Radio troubles.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Hi fellow Atsers.
I wasnt sure which forum to put this in so i thought i would take a shot at general chit chat as i am asking for some help.
At work today one of the guys while making a radio call became disorientated and verbaly incoherent for a few seconds,
he was a new guy and one of the older crew had stood behind him and turned his radio up loud enough to stun him with the effect.
i remeber getting stunned with this effect a few times, once even on the phone to base while answering a call, so with two degress of seperation of my surroundings i still got stuned by hearing my own voice over the radio.
I remember reading,on ATS a few years ago about a device had created using somthing similar to this but i couldnt find it.
Any my point is any other ATSers out there had this stunt pulled on them and if so does this reaction have a name. I googled but i guess my keywords were off.
Happy and a safe newyears to you all.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: PLAYERONE01

NOTE: Please use headphones.
With SpeechJammer, you can literally "jam" someone's voice. Through the Delayed Auditory Feedback effect, the speaker will have trouble articulating while speaking, effectively inhibiting his or her speech!

To put it briefly, the effect occurs when you hear your own voice at a slight delay. Many people tend to start mumbling, and therefore "jamming" speech. Works best if you try to read something!

play.google.com...

I'm not sure if the effect has a name or not.

I would call it "audio-cognitive-dissonance"

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs
awesome thank you

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: PLAYERONE01

Thanks to the recent UK weather (and Obama!), there's been some interference on the mobile phone network. I've had a few calls where my voice has been echoing just a split second or so behind me. Yes! It's really disconcerting and puts you off speaking. It's a case of talk, wait for echo to stop, talk again etc.

I never knew it was a thing.

I can totally relate to it being a huge issue through two-way radios. I'll have to give it a go at work sometime.

@ Reverbs - thanks for that. Very helpful.

top topics

join