It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amnesty: Turkey deports refugees to warzones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

A new Amnesty International report charges Turkey with abusing refugees before deporting them back to Syria. This comes on the heels of a multi-billion dollar aid deal with the EU.

The government of Turkey is apprehending refugees and pressuring them to return to conflict zones, claimed an Amnesty International report released on Tuesday. The paper, titled "Europe's Gatekeeper," also alleges that Turkey regularly brings asylum seekers to remote detention centers, where they receive appalling treatment before being deported to Iraq and Syria.

Amnesty criticizes that European Union funds seem to be, at least in part, funding the construction of the "isolated detention centers where [refugees] have been held incommunicado."

Amnesty: Turkey deports refugees to warzones

The European Union funds Turkey to assist with stemming the flow of migrants to EU, little did the EU know that Turkey had been using parts of the funds in funding the construction of the "isolated detention centers where [refugees] have been held incommunicado."

The Amnesty report also reported, "appalling treatment" by Turkish forces to the refugees, which has also raised concerns about the rights of refugees.

"It is shocking that EU money is being used to fund an unlawful detention and return programme. The EU must ensure that its funding and migration cooperation with Turkey promotes rather than undermines the rights of refugees and migrants," the report reads.

However, a spokesmen for the Turkish government slammed the reports.

A member of the Turkish government slammed the report, saying saying less that one percent of Syrians faced any kind of heightened restrictions.

About 2.2 million Syrian refugees have been accepted by Turkey since their country's civil war broke out in 2011 - more than any other outside nation, even considering the great number who have moved on to Europe.

Since there were 2.2 million Syrian accepted by Turkey since their Countries civil war, 1% of that is 22,000 lives having gone through appalling treatment before sent back to the war torn countries.

Erdogan is surely leading Turkey in to disarray , and how long will this kind of behavior be tolerated till someone apart from Russia points out the obvious Elephant in the room, about Turkey been run by a dictator who's running the Turkish regime.

I authored this Thread here some time back as I started seeing something wasn't right about, how Erdogan was running the show. I think it's time for a government change in Turkey, Erdogan has been proven time and time again to be nothing more than a lunatic that has done everything wrong so far, the Turkish people deserve better.

Your thoughts on this?
edit on 16-12-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
It's either send them back or they make their way into Europe, and not all of them are the harmless refugees they want us to think they are.

In my opinion this is the one thing Turkey has got right.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
See my comment below because I botched the edit

edit on 16-12-2015 by Shamrock6 because: Cocked that one right up

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Don't worry. Obama is helping his buddy Erdogan to seal Turkey's border with Syria as he proudly stated in his speech lecturing Americans to blindly accept Muslim refugees, particularly Syrians.
edit on 16-12-2015 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Not picking sides here but what exactly is Turkey supposed to do with the ones they suspect or confirm are "bad guys?" Let them stay in Turkey? Send them on in to Europe?

Kinda seems like "haha they made it to your country now they're your problem lulz" to me.

ETA - Amnesty documented 100 individuals. Out of over 2 million. They "believe" it's higher than that but apparently can't prove it. The Turkish official said "less than one percent." Not "one percent." So doing the math pegged at one percent is a bit misleading. 100 people out of over 2 million is also less than one percent.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Not picking sides here but what exactly is Turkey supposed to do with the ones they suspect or confirm are "bad guys?" Let them stay in Turkey? Send them on in to Europe?

Kinda seems like "haha they made it to your country now they're your problem lulz" to me.

ETA - Amnesty documented 100 individuals. Out of over 2 million. They "believe" it's higher than that but apparently can't prove it. The Turkish official said "less than one percent." Not "one percent." So doing the math pegged at one percent is a bit misleading. 100 people out of over 2 million is also less than one percent.

These numbers are at best just guesstimates, but one things for certain, there are some appalling treatment happening that somewhat involves money provided by the EU to only stem the flow of migrants, and not be used to aid Turkeys human rights violations.

That's where am pinning this back to Erdogan.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Uh huh. And how many of these "refugees" are young, healthy, unattached males in their twenties? And how many young mothers with several children in dirty, ragged clothing have been "mistreated?" Amnesty International is about as unbiased as Greenpeace.
edit on 12/16/2015 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Uh huh. And how many of these "refugees" are young, healthy, unattached males in their twenties? And how many young mothers with several children in dirty, ragged clothing have been "mistreated?" Amnesty International is about as unbiased as Greenpeace.

So are you saying that any "unattached young males" in their twenties "mistreated" have no rights?

That's like saying any "black young males mistreated" in the States have no rights either.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
This could if true answer the question as to why so many are choosing to flee to Europe and not a neighbouring country.... I would imagine the rumors run freely through the ranks of the refugees.....
edit on 16-12-2015 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: if this iPad was made of paper I would wipe my ass with it

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: InnerPeace2012

Amnesty: Turkey deports refugees to warzones - Perhaps this piece explains why

Link

new topics

top topics

join