It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Device That Plugs Gunshot Wounds in 20 Seconds Just Got FDA Approval

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
You heard right, ATS. Another society changing product brought too us by the US military. A new blood clotting device is on the market and it's called XStat 30. XStat 30 works by injecting small, super-absorbent sponges into the wound; each mini sponge contains X-ray-detectable markers so they can be located once a patient reaches the hospital. It was originally developed by the military to treat soldiers on the battlefield for their wounds. Now, this product comes to the civilian sector.

The product, XStat 30, is a syringe-like applicator that injects a cluster of small, superabsorbent sponges into an open wound. Within 20 seconds of contact with blood, the sponges expand to fill the cavity and temporarily halt blood flow, according to the website of RevMedx, the Oregon-based company behind XStat 30. The sponges contain X-ray-detectable markers so they can be located once a patient reaches the hospital.

XStat 30 was first funded through a grant from the U.S. Army to develop a solution to address junctional hemorrhaging: severe traumatic bleeding in parts of the body where you can't use a tourniquet, such as the groin or shoulder areas. In April 2014, it was granted FDA approval for military use on the battlefield.

XStat 30 was first funded through a grant from the U.S. Army to develop a solution to address junctional hemorrhaging: severe traumatic bleeding in parts of the body where you can't use a tourniquet, such as the groin or shoulder areas. In April 2014, it was granted FDA approval for military use on the battlefield.

I think his will save many lives! What says ATS?

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I saw this yesterday. It's pretty cool news. Looks like it would work and I think they've been using it (testing it) already. Kind of like plugging a hole in a tire so it will once again hold air. My only question is what happens if they don't get all those tiny sponges removed when cleaning the wound. Infection? Absorption?

ETA:

Okay, the image I saw on the tele yesterday was a drawing, it looked to me to be a syringe of teeny sponges. So I look it up to post a pic for everyone to see and see this monstrosity.

I guess that horse syringe would plug a hole alright. And those sponges aren't too small to miss.
edit on 11-12-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
And why oh why do you think soldiers had to carry tampons in the first aide kits?

This would be the evolution of that principle.

Never mind the Avon Skin so Soft for keeping the Mosquitoes away

edit on 11-12-2015 by CoBaZ because: Added the Avon line

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: CoBaZ

Biggest cause of illness in hot humid jungle warfare conditions.... human sweat.
Solution? Talcum powder...

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Is this like Quick Clot? I know that stuff comes in a pouch that tear open and dump into a wound to seal it up temporarily until you can get to a hospital...

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Is this like Quick Clot? I know that stuff comes in a pouch that tear open and dump into a wound to seal it up temporarily until you can get to a hospital...

Yes, the article mentions Quick Clot as the forerunner to this product.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Last year a law was passed that made it illegal to purchase a bullet proof vest in my area. I wonder how long it will be until these can only be legally purchased by police departments.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
These can be useful for other injuries too that are hard to get at and or tourniquet. Wonder if they will be available, which instruction of course or other, to the public as well for survival emergencies to pet injuries in out the way places for example.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Kind of the same solution on the sponges i imagine as a styptic pencil or the sponges you use to stop a bad nose bleed that wont clot on its own....Excellent that this is now available to the public!! Hopefully, it won't be too expensive and easily added to most hard core first aid kits! You never know when this will come in handy!

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

iflscience . com / superfast clotting agent could save many lives

This is also in development.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

No Quick Clot is ground up shrimp shells...

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

That's what I thought I remember hearing...speaking of shrimp I have one of those rings of shrimp cocktail thawing. Why? Because I'm an adult and I've always wanted to buy one just to eat all by myself ... and it was on a killer sale. lol

I've been using super glue and duct tape forever...and keeping tampons in my fist aid kits too for puncture wounds. This stuff looks amazing, I wonder if it will be available to the public at a cost that's even remotely affordable?

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Because I'm an adult and I've always wanted to buy one just to eat all by myself ... and it was on a killer sale. lol

Don't go to Costco you might spend 200 bucks on shrimp.

I've been using super glue and duct tape forever...and keeping tampons in my fist aid kits too for puncture wounds. This stuff looks amazing, I wonder if it will be available to the public at a cost that's even remotely affordable?

All that is also good, but my personal opinion is Quick Clot is really, really, really ,really good. Get you some at a gun show. I get a med kit every time I go over seas and so I think I have about 10 now.

edit on 11-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Right on man, glad to hear it from someone that knows about it. I was kind of on the fence considering the cost and whatnot. Is it pretty shelf-stable if stored properly? I've heard that it's saved lives overseas for our men in uniform. If it's good enough for them, it's totally good enough for me. That's how I see things...that's why I have a pair of Wiley-X shades and Oakley carbon-fiber knuckle tactical gloves.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Right on man, glad to hear it from someone that knows about it. I was kind of on the fence considering the cost and whatnot. Is it pretty shelf-stable if stored properly? I've heard that it's saved lives overseas for our men in uniform. If it's good enough for them, it's totally good enough for me. That's how I see things...that's why I have a pair of Wiley-X shades and Oakley carbon-fiber knuckle tactical gloves.

This one is expiring this year so I'm guessing 2 years, but I think it's good for a long time. Very light and small. It's basically gauze you stuff in the wound.

edit on 12-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   
It's already been done.I saw it in Blade Trinity the other day.

top topics

join