It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Event Horizon Telescope reveals magnetic fields at Milky Way's central black hole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Event Horizon Telescope reveals magnetic fields at Milky Way's central black hole

The Event Horizon Telescope has measured those magnetic fields for the first time with a resolution six times the size of the event horizon, It found the fields in the disk to be disorderly, with jumbled loops and whorls resembling intertwined spaghetti.

"Understanding these magnetic fields is critical. Nobody has been able to resolve magnetic fields near the event horizon until now," says lead author Michael Johnson of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA). The results appear in the Dec. 4th issue of the journal Science.

"These magnetic fields have been predicted to exist, but no one has seen them before. Our data puts decades of theoretical work on solid observational ground," adds principal investigator Shep Doeleman (CfA/MIT), who is assistant director of MIT's Haystack Observatory

I'm no expert, far from it actually, but just a couple of weeks ago as a matter of fact while having a weekly attended Friday morning breakfast the topic of magnetic fields and black holes came up. We were discussing Hawking: Black holes store information and exactly how that information may, if true, be stored, or rather, by what possible mechanism in nature? We have stored DATA magnetically for years. If the fields aren't part of "Storing" information then what role, if any, could the fields possibly play if at all?

In any case I think we are getting a bit closer.

Yay....

edit on 8-12-2015 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Can you envision a day when black holes could be used to store data...

Then everyone has little black holes in their personal devices?

What could go wrong? Eh?

Interesting times we live in...

Cool find though.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Nice find OP.

Something more for me to explore when i'm forced to sit and watch everything the wife has recorded each evening.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
This is interesting news

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Im pretty sure this is what the electric universe model predicts. Look up the you tube series "Primer Fields" . Basicall it states that all matter, from atoms, to galaxies are created by two opposing bowl shaped magnetic fields, which kind of look like what they are portraying in this article.

new topics

top topics

join