It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP blocks efforts to deny guns to those on terrorist watch lists

page: 18
<< 15  16  17   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
a reply to: ~Lucidity

And????? SO, you are in favor of stripping the citizen of their constitutionally protected rights as a side-effect because it might take too long to process? So, expediency over rights? That is acceptable to you?

No thanks. You might be willing to give up your rights that fast, I, however am not.

Of course not. And I am not giving up a single one. No one is giving up any rights.

And even if there is some inconvenience, which will be rare and would see if you ever bothered reading the numbers, and which, in fact, I have had twice on this very issue, I don't view that as too high a price to pay.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

"Inconvenience"??? Stripping a citizen of their rights without a trial is just an inconvenience. Incredible. Simply incredible. If even ONE person has their rights stripped without due process, it affect all of us citizens. We are (or should be) all in this together. Due process must be full, no 1/2 a** attempts and "well it won't happen often" results are unacceptable IMO. This is non-negotiable. Implement true due process or nothing....for EVERYONE.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: Xcathdra

Do they not keep saying that there is a process for clearing errors up and that this might at most delay a person from obtaining a weapon FOR A FEW DAYS?

Are people really in that much of a hurry, if by some slim chance they got on some list, that they can't sacrifice or wait a FEW DAYS?

You are missing the larger point. The mechanisms for being removed from the no fly list are nonexistent. You have to badger them and even then there is no guarantee you will make headway. Its why I pointed out in my last post that the no fly list is arbitrary, no one knows the requirements to get on the list, the government doesnt have to tell you if you are on the list and they dont have to tell you why if you find out you are on it and ask. The government lawyer told the judge the court has no jurisdiction.

The only reason they get away with a no fly list is travel within and across state lines is constitutionally protected however the method of travel is not.

The terrorist watch list is a bit different although I still fail to understand why Obama had the list purged a few years back.

Being denied a constitutional right for having your name on a list smacks of McCarthyism and Nazism. There is no due process to dispute your name being on a list and the people on that list are presumed guilty until proven innocent, and thus far its impossible to prove your innocence.

I refuse to sacrifice constitutional rights for an illusion of government protection.

As I stated this is a slippery cliff argument. All it takes is for the federal government to get their foot in the door of the 2nd amendment to open pandoras box ad its over with.

Especially when the President we have was caught on mic saying Americans were stupid and that we should just shut up and obey.

I believe the Nazi's used the same mantra.
edit on 17-6-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

"Inconvenience"??? Stripping a citizen of their rights without a trial is just an inconvenience. Incredible. Simply incredible. If even ONE person has their rights stripped without due process, it affect all of us citizens. We are (or should be) all in this together. Due process must be full, no 1/2 a** attempts and "well it won't happen often" results are unacceptable IMO. This is non-negotiable. Implement true due process or nothing....for EVERYONE.

What rights are being stripped from what citizens? There is due process.

Man, the drama over this astounds.

No wonder the do-nothing Congress gets away with it with it's do-nothing supporters backing them all the way.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

The mechanisms are not non-existant, though by its very nature finding out if you are on it is.

Make a Venn diagram in your head as to how many people, from the published numbers, this will actually really affect...people mistakenly on the list who shouldn't be vs the damage it could do to allow people who are on the list who should be to procure weapons.

posted on Jun, 17 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

And if any in the overlapping regions are U.S. citizens, then they should being the judicial process to have their 2nd Amendment right stripped. Otherwise, they cannot legally do that. Even if it is inconvenient to hold back. People, please keep in mind these are constitutionally protected rights, yours, mine, every citizen. To strip anyone of those rights without due process is wrong....period, end of story, close the book and head to the nearest gender neutral bathroom to relive yourself.

top topics

<< 15  16  17   >>

join