It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Landslide buckles Vasquez Canyon Road; 2-mile stretch closed indefinitely

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I've got a bad feeling about this. I don't know if this means a big quake is on the way or if this is something else. I would appreciate anyone's input. I didn't know if I should post it in the Quake Watch thread, so here it is.

A portion of Vasquez Canyon Road remained closed indefinitely Friday after a landslide prompted buckling and significant damage along a 2-mile stretch in the Canyon Country area."This isn’t just the road; it’s the mountain itself that’s moving and it’s pushing the road up," said Paul Funk with L.A. County Department of Public Works.

The roadway was closed Thursday between Lost Creek Road and Vasquez Way after public works officials first noticed the shift around 10:30 that morning.

The closure was said to be indefinite and would likely last for "a long time," Funk said.

KTLA

There are several clips at the above link. They don't know what is causing this, and if it's so close to Los Angeles I'm wondering if the "Big One" that has been overdue for years is about to come? I'm no geologist, but this doesn't look good. Thoughts, anyone?

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I believe, that would be the San Gabriel Fault zone.

scedc.caltech.edu...

According to the report they say USGS is checking it out, so I would think that if there was real danger they would alert the area.

The fact that it is still moving, and folks are skate boarding on it amazes me. I wonder why they arn't keeping people away until they figure out whats up with this.

Thanks for posting

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

I forgot to add that the closest earthquake that I can see is here.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

There seems to be abit of activity just south of this.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
That's wild!! And kinda scary. Wonder if the mountain would be moving if the road wasn't cut through it?

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: crappiekat

scedc.caltech.edu...

According to the report they say USGS is checking it out, so I would think that if there was real danger they would alert the area.

The fact that it is still moving, and folks are skate boarding on it amazes me. I wonder why they arn't keeping people away until they figure out whats up with this.

Thanks for posting

According to the site you linked for the San Gabriel Fault, the fault is: primarily right-lateral strike-slip

This means

In a strike-slip fault, the movement of blocks along a fault is horizontal. If the block on the far side of the fault moves to the left, as shown in this animation, the fault is called left-lateral. If the block on the far side moves to the right, the fault is called right-lateral. The fault motion of a strike-slip fault is caused by shearing forces. Examples: San Andreas Fault, California; Anatolian Fault, Turkey [Other names: transcurrent fault, lateral fault, tear fault or wrench fault.]
IRIS.edu Fault types

Not necessarily a type of fault expected to set off the big one (those are typically dip slips, which are the mountain building faults that drop.) but a fault similar to San Andreas, where the land is moving in opposite directions side-by-side, like cogs.

The landslide might not be on the San Gabriel fault, but another one or on a newly or about to be discovered smaller fault. Years ago I read that the city of Seattle discovered a small fault running through downtown.

It will be interesting to see what the experts have to say.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

This happens all the time. Just a normal natural process, nothing to see here. Lol, yeah right!

In all seriousness, there are some massive earth changes going on. Sure, these are normal natural earth changes that occur but over the span of hundreds of thousands of years. We have been witness to them in just several years. It's time we wake up and get educated on what's happening and why. We see these stories everyday....massive sinkholes, landslides, land cracks and slips. Earthquakes and volcanoes have increased year after year since 2009 in great numbers. And take a look around at the extreme weather changes. It's hard to deny.

Skeptics claim it's common, we just have better communications now. Really? We've been tracking quakes and volcanoes for decades, so how does the internet play its part? Sure sinkholes have happened in the past, especially places like Florida, but not in the numbers we see today, swallowing vehicles, highways, buildings and people every day! Since when have pockets of gas exploded from the sand below beach goers?

I've been on ATS for three years now arguing my case and slowly but surely, stories like this California highway buckle make it harder to deny. They will come up with their explanation of what happened and spoon feed it to the public and we'll accept and go on about our day with heads buried in the sand. Too bad.

It's not water running below! The earth's crust below us is shifting and tearing! Massive earth changes folks...buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride!

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

scedc.caltech.edu...

Thanks for posting

You're welcome!

What puzzles me is when things like this happen, the USGS is usually quick to say "all is well, nothing to see here....move along, folks." At least that is the impression I get. That USGS did not do so is significant. Maybe it's just me???l

I looked for an update and could find none. I'd be interested to know if the mountain is still moving. What could be the cause? Could the drought have something to do with it? Liquefaction? Something else?

When I hear an update I will post it.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

There are many changes going on, that's for sure. I believe it could have something to do with Bible prophecy in which the Lord Jesus said that towards the end, there would be (among other things), great earthquakes in diverse places.

One reason I keep track of earthquake stats is because of my interest in end times prophecies.

I noticed that Greece, for example, has been having lots of quakes. I don't know why, but I never observed so many in such a short period of time in that location.

My preferred resource for earthquake data is the European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre (some of their info comes from USGS). If you look at their map of quakes 4.0 in magnitude or greater, the average number I will see at any given time is about 20. As I write this it is over 30.

European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre

The Ring of Fire has seen increased activity, but for some reason Southern California has been left out of the fun, so to speak.

Oklahoma has been having many quakes as well, most of which are probably caused by fracking. Could fracking lead to large quakes????

Weather has been quite whacky to say the least. In my neck of the woods there should be snow on the ground but there isn't. For now. North of here they could get about a foot before tomorrow morning, but it won't last long. It will be in the fifties on Thanksgiving. Other parts of the country have been deluged with snow.

Getting back to California. That drought has been going on non-stop (with a few exceptions) for several years. Perhaps this could have an impact on quakes? Could events such as what's going on at Vasquez Canyon Road be related to activity up and down other parts of the West Coast, inc. the Pacific Northwest? I would sure like to hear Michio Kaku's take on this. He appeared in this Fox video about what will happen when a mega quake hits the Pacific Northwest:

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

Well, Rez is right, Stuff like this happens all the time. It doesn't always take a road out. LOL!!!!

The earths crust is cracking and twisting all time. Most of the time we don't even notice it.

There are eathquakes along the San Andrea's right now, and yes they are moving North. So things are moving.

As Puterman has said to us, little quakes are a good thing. They release stress.

This one: earthquake.usgs.gov...

just happened today at around Noon CST.

Southern Cali has gotten alot of water. Water is a lubricant. So I have been expecting things to be moving alittle more. I don't think this is the "Big One"

I hope not.

edit on 22-11-2015 by crappiekat because: to add, being very lazy today

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

They just had another one.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Moving North. Happen at around 3:30 CST

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Right in Santa Carita.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

That road isn't going to open anytime soon.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: dianajune

There are many changes going on, that's for sure. I believe it could have something to do with Bible prophecy in which the Lord Jesus said that towards the end, there would be (among other things), great earthquakes in diverse places.

One reason I keep track of earthquake stats is because of my interest in end times prophecies.

I noticed that Greece, for example, has been having lots of quakes. I don't know why, but I never observed so many in such a short period of time in that location.

My preferred resource for earthquake data is the European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre (some of their info comes from USGS). If you look at their map of quakes 4.0 in magnitude or greater, the average number I will see at any given time is about 20. As I write this it is over 30.

European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre

The Ring of Fire has seen increased activity, but for some reason Southern California has been left out of the fun, so to speak.

Oklahoma has been having many quakes as well, most of which are probably caused by fracking. Could fracking lead to large quakes????

Weather has been quite whacky to say the least. In my neck of the woods there should be snow on the ground but there isn't. For now. North of here they could get about a foot before tomorrow morning, but it won't last long. It will be in the fifties on Thanksgiving. Other parts of the country have been deluged with snow.

Getting back to California. That drought has been going on non-stop (with a few exceptions) for several years. Perhaps this could have an impact on quakes? Could events such as what's going on at Vasquez Canyon Road be related to activity up and down other parts of the West Coast, inc. the Pacific Northwest? I would sure like to hear Michio Kaku's take on this. He appeared in this Fox video about what will happen when a mega quake hits the Pacific Northwest:

One thing is for certain...there are several end time prophecy events unfolding and the most obvious is quakes in strange places, like Florida or Connecticut to name a couple. Another one is disease and the animal dieoffs. Or increased fireball sightings. Well, anyways, these land subsidence events like this California road I think can fall into that category as well.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Right in Santa Carita.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

That road isn't going to open anytime soon.

Whatya think Crappie, these quakes related to the road buckle?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

LOL!!!!

All I know is, things are shifting. (Man I gotta be careful when I type that word)

In my opinion, it's nothing to be scared about.

Like I said, lubrication = movement.

Their's a good link about this on Quake Watch. I'll go see if I can find it.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I couldn't find what I was looking for but I found this.

This is what Muzzy say's about this.

Now that I think about, I think it was Eric who wrote what I'm thinking about.

Be back

edit on 22-11-2015 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Here we go

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And, as a matter of fact it was you dianajune that asked the question.

join