It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Federal government unmuzzles scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The new Liberal Government of Justin Trudeau has given Scientists the go ahead to discuss their research in at least one department, The DFO (Department of Fisheries and Oceans). Removing the muzzling enacted and enforced by the Harper Government.

www.nationalobserver.com...

“I think it’s positive,” Vezina said. “I think we still need to work out the details. It’s very new.

"Basically what I told the staff is if you’re contacted directly by the media, let’s say you’re at a conference or a workshop, the media is there. You can talk directly. You don’t have to say, ‘I don’t have permission to speak.’”

So far so good for the Liberals keeping their election promises, or at least it looks like a good start, in rolling back some of the Draconian policies laid out by the Harperites.

I hope this truly is the beginning of the "Change" Canadians have been hoping for these past few years. This article was a breath of fresh air from the repressive regime of the Reform-a Cons.

edit on 11/6/2015 by Kukri because: typos

edit on 11/6/2015 by Kukri because: need to proof read better

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Ia reply to: Kukri
I am eager to see these results.

Tick-tock chase the clock.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

Congrats

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Good stuff. Science shouldn't be muzzled. I imagine that Harper muzzled them because they were saying things he didn't like or agree with.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

With Harper such a supporter of Big Oil interests, there is no wonder why Harper muzzled scientists who did not support his policies.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I hope scientists will now have the freedom to fully demonstrate the adverse effects of pollution on the biosphere.

Nice first moves from Trudeau!

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Yea, that's a way to make inconvenient evidence go away, just prevent them from ever talking in the first place.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Yes It's been a good news day with this and the Keystone XL release. It will be interesting to see if any papers regarding the Canadian side of the pipeline project will get released.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm sure there were more than a few reports that went against his pro-corporate ideology. I'm curious to see how transparent the Trudeau Gov. will be regarding the previous PMO's activities.
edit on 11/6/2015 by Kukri because: completed a sentence.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Canada silenced its scentists? Wtf?

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blissful

I'm afraid so Blissful. Tea Party Lite was all about corporate profits (Big Oil) and not about the environment or other research that might negatively impact his handlers. Anything but blissful up here for the last ten years, excuse the pun.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Well, (awkward smile), um, yeah.

read more

edit on 6-11-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

c'mon...you don't think that happens anywhere else?...the old adage "you don't bite the hand that feeds you" applies.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Yes...and no.

The Federal government put some fairly draconian restrictions on what federally employed scientists could present to the media, without Federal consent.

There has never been restrictions on what they were allowed to present to other scientists, or to the scientific community as a whole.

So, unless your only source on science was mainstream media, nothing changed.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I got a feeling th elefties are going to say climate change is all man made. Same boss different views on th esame subject. BOTH BIASED.

new topics

top topics

join