It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans lacking 6th sense (Tsunami warning)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
from news.bbc.co.uk...

Wildlife officials in Sri Lanka have reported that, despite the loss of human life in the Asian disaster, there have been no recorded animal deaths.

Waves from the worst tsunami in memory sent floodwater surging up to 3.5km (two miles) inland to the island's biggest wildlife reserve.

Many tourists drowned but, to the surprise of officials, no dead animals have been found.

It has highlighted claims that animals may possess a sixth sense about danger.

Yala National Park in Sri Lanka is home to elephants, deer, jackals and crocodiles.

Sensitive to change

Praised for its conservation, the park is also considered one of the best places in the world to observe leopards.

It is now closed after floods damaged buildings and caused the deaths of tourists and employees of the park and lodge.

Yet, surprisingly, none of the park's varied wildlife is reported to have perished.

Debbie Martyr, who works on a wild tiger conservation programme on the Indonesian island of Sumatra, one of the worst-hit areas in Sunday's disaster, said she was not surprised to hear there were no dead animals.

"Wild animals in particular are extremely sensitive," she said.

"They've got extremely good hearing and they will probably have heard this flood coming in the distance.

"There would have been vibration and there may also have been changes in the air pressure which will have alerted animals and made them move to wherever they felt safer."

There are many eyewitness accounts of birds and animals migrating before earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

The scientific evidence for a sixth sense is lacking, but if the reports are confirmed, they could add to the understanding of animal behaviour and possibly even be used in the future as an early warning system for humans.

what do you think? i do believe that animals have that something extra we are missing. maybe if we do have it, our depth of sense is nothing compared to animals.

if we had a 6th sense, would we become the ultimate human? maybe evolution will bring us the 6th sense.

some people say we do have a 6th sense, its our heart or our instincts to something. you know like when you get that feeling something bad is going happen and it does.

some people say we have the 6th sense but we arent using it or it has not developed. maybe we did have it but as we evolved we did not need it.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I do think that we also have some kind of 6th sense. We just don't notice it anymore.
I'm sure you remember moments where you thought something was wrong but didn't pay attention and in the end you find out that something really was wrong.

The point is that we are just too "educated" and dependant on technology we've created that we've lost the ability to "feel" things like animals do.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerb
I do think that we also have some kind of 6th sense. We just don't notice it anymore.
I'm sure you remember moments where you thought something was wrong but didn't pay attention and in the end you find out that something really was wrong.

The point is that we are just too "educated" and dependant on technology we've created that we've lost the ability to "feel" things like animals do.

Very good point Zerb, We have lessen our ability to sense our surroundings... I see where my animals are so in tune of what is outside when they are indoors, that I would not be aware of it otherwise, without them barking... right from the start of a mole in the ground, to someone walking by... My response to their behaviour.... you guessed it... Be quiet girls... its nouthing, quit barking! We have more then that ability, at least we did at one time, and sinse have lost it.... I got to go, I feel my wife is giving me the eye as to why I'm still online... thanks for you insight, as well as others.... very good points of their opinion.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Interesting topic and it ties in with what I was just reading about the lack of passengers on the hijacked 911 flights. I think we do still have a 6th sense but it's not tuned to the environment and natural dangers anymore since our biggest threat comes from other people. I think you can feel malice and evil, like a warning sign, and some people do take notice.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
our senses provide us an input on the outside world to our brain but which sense does the most work? here is my ranked order:

1) seeing
2) hearing
3) touching
4) tasting
5) smelling

but i base my order on how often and powerful they are. also i think in that order if we had to lose our senses one by one, it start from the bottom.

we probably started out as humans with all our senses balanced. maybe we had even more? maybe this 6th sense has become extinct and the next sense is smell. just a thought.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I've seen pictures of while the tsunami was approaching and people were just standing and looking at it rather than trying to get the hell away. While most of us try to assess the situation, there are times when you must beat feet and flee. I really couldn't understand why people just stood there and watched.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
All those senses are still important in our day to day life. You wouldn't get along all that well without the ability to smell. My theory is that we developed more and more things that rendered our "6th sense" redundant.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
We still have our "sixth" sense, but as stated before we no longer need it, since large 4 legged predators no longer chase us. I am sure many of you have felt a "chill" up and down your neck, or when you are in a dark room, you just "feel" that something/someone is there, that is our latent 6th sense picking up on stuff. However, you can "redevelop" it. I am not sure if you are familiar with the term "Haragei". If you were to translate it word for word, it could mean "gut feeling"
but it is mor than just a feeling, it is a way.

Here is one of many links regarding Haragei

kempo.4mg.com...

[edit on 3-1-2005 by NetStorm]

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
This is actually a media-manufactured Urban Legend. There are, in fact, thousands of dead animals.

It was based on one news reporter, looking at the scene from a helicopter and another news reporter at a resort area. The media picked up on the dramatic announcement, conveniently forgetting what their own reporters on the scene were telling them:

Here's just a small sample of the news reports that say there are thousands of dead animals lying around. You can google for others.

. "There are thousands of dead people, and there are tens of thousands of dead animals. The people should be buried and the animals should be destroyed and disposed of before they infect the drinking water.
www.isn.ethz.ch...

Lisa Morgan, 30, a legal secretary from Chatham, Kent, clung to a tree for six hours, surrounded by human corpses and dead animals
scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com...

Aid workers were trying to dislodge corpses and dead animals from water drainpipes and wells
www.alertnet.org...

TRANSCRIPT FROM ONE OF THEIR REPORTERS:

On TV, people may have seen footage of the Grand Mosque of Banda Aceh, one of the few big structures left standing, and in the yard in front of the mosque, it's litters with bloated bodies and dead animals, and
www.zmag.org...

Many refugees are sheltered in places not far from the shore which were hit by the Tsunami where one finds salt water, debris, polluted water and decomposing bodies and carcasses of dead animals
www.tamilnet.com...

Island officials say at least 3,754 people were missing amid crumbled homes, downed trees and mounds of dead animals.
www.rednova.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
In fact, here's a link to Randi's board (the JREF skeptics board) where a news man (one of the members) talks about how this whole urban legend got started:
forums.randi.org...

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
What are the actual death reports from this? Becuase its immpossible that not a single animal died from this event. They certainly die in regular disasters, and they certainly died on islands. I suspect that what happening is that there is less death than expected. But i find it hard to beleive that turtles and ground birds were able to flee the tsunami.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Slightly off topic but I wonder how much "sixth" sense is just the sub-conscience putting together data from the five senses that the conscience mind doesn't? In other words you are just sub-consciencly picking up clues?

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
That's very interesting Byrd.
Just proves that news reporting is all about sensationalism and not the truth...
I thought it was a little strange that no animals had died.
Thanx for the info...

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I think that animals senses are more developed than the human senses.

They can hear, smell, see (especially birds) better than we can. They are quicker to respond to any changes in their immediate surroundings than humans are.

It's known that the human being is the weakest of all species. Only the human brain has the ability to compensate for this weakness.

It just really sad that the human brain has to be so curious that it will put the rest of the organism in harms way!

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
This is actually a media-manufactured Urban Legend. There are, in fact, thousands of dead animals.

It was based on one news reporter, looking at the scene from a helicopter and another news reporter at a resort area. The media picked up on the dramatic announcement, conveniently forgetting what their own reporters on the scene were telling them:

Here's just a small sample of the news reports that say there are thousands of dead animals lying around. You can google for others.

. "There are thousands of dead people, and there are tens of thousands of dead animals. The people should be buried and the animals should be destroyed and disposed of before they infect the drinking water.
www.isn.ethz.ch...

Lisa Morgan, 30, a legal secretary from Chatham, Kent, clung to a tree for six hours, surrounded by human corpses and dead animals
scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com...

Aid workers were trying to dislodge corpses and dead animals from water drainpipes and wells
www.alertnet.org...

TRANSCRIPT FROM ONE OF THEIR REPORTERS:

On TV, people may have seen footage of the Grand Mosque of Banda Aceh, one of the few big structures left standing, and in the yard in front of the mosque, it's litters with bloated bodies and dead animals, and
www.zmag.org...

Many refugees are sheltered in places not far from the shore which were hit by the Tsunami where one finds salt water, debris, polluted water and decomposing bodies and carcasses of dead animals
www.tamilnet.com...

Island officials say at least 3,754 people were missing amid crumbled homes, downed trees and mounds of dead animals.
www.rednova.com...

Not to dispute you, but where are the photos of these "mounds of dead animals". I have not found any photos of this!!

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
maybe some psychic power is the 6th sense? telepathy etc?

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Try www.waveofdestruction.org There many photos, some very graphic.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
WE DO have a 6th sense. Its basic intuition and you have it, its active, its about how much faith you put in to it. I put ALL of my faith in to my 6th sense and its RARELY if ever wrong. I'm not a psychic. I'm not 'in touch' with the cosmos or anything like that.. in fact, I've been sick for quite awhile and if anything only recently getting back in touch with the world around me (two steps forward, one back) BUT.. my intuition didn't waver much during this time. And you too.. NEXT TIME you feel... feel.. 'something doesn't feel right about this' get the hell out of the situation. Just do it. Don't ask any questions. Just go. You might never know what would have happened had you not stuck around, but you have nothing to lose (really) by trusting your gut (or in some cases going with it.. but the feeling tends to be much stronger in cases of personal danger).

I really can't stress how important it is that you learn to listen to your instinct. Do not mix it up with ideas about psychics or whatever.. its not about that.. its about your subconcious being able to read things in your surroundings that your concious mind can not and warning you about them, asking you to act on them. Next time it does this, act on it. Notice how much better you feel? That's your subconcious telling you that you that you did the right thing.

Oh, and I suppose I could get in to the whole "yes but, people with brain damage or emotional damage of even miniscule preportions will possibly get 'feelings' that are 'incorrect' at the least" but I won't because that much goes without saying. Just like people with certain types other types of brain damage can lose the sense seviced by that part of the damaged brain. So I won't get in to it.

I'm curious as to how many of the people who were standing on the beach watching the wave come in are in their afterlife right now saying "I knew I shoulda gotten the frell out of there.. oh well.. am I moving up the castes this time or down?" (in the case of the people in india who died)

I just had to rant on the incorrect statement made in this topic about humans lacking their sixth sense. Its really too bad people propagate this type of stuff. Same type of people who believe that its the same as claiming psychic power. _javascript:icon('
')

VMX

Scorpious: "We've been here too long. I have I highly developed survival sense; its telling me to leave."
Aeron: "John! There's a Scarren warship closing in on the planet at maxium speed!"

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vis Mega
I really can't stress how important it is that you learn to listen to your instinct.

Ive 80% follow my instincts. Hasnt got me anywhere but regret and turning insane. I talk about instincts as in making a decision using my instincts not danger.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Animals use the same senses we have, but they have different ranges of sensitivity and different levels of sensitivity. Elephants can hear low frequency sounds for miles that are sub-sonic for us. They can also feel vibrations in the earth through their feet. Animals all have behaviors to alert other animals and these alerting behaviors trigger alerting behaviors in other species.

[edit on 05/1/5 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

top topics

join