It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ole Miss Students Vote To Remove Confederate Symbol From Campus

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

My DP of 16 years hails from Ohio.
When we drove up there in the spring of 2000 to get her stuff, she wanted to stop by to see her Mom who lived in a small town right along the border with Pennsylvania. It was a very blue collar community not far from Pittsburgh.

Upon entering, I saw more Confederate flags hanging from homes than I had ever seen in anywhere. I was blown away.
I later found out that they had a very, very small black population and kept those flags out to remind of how they didn't want ANY black population.

Racism exists everywhere and unfortunately, it is a two-way street. We've got to outgrow our inability to view in full format or the problem of racism will never be quelled.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

"It really doesn't matter how Lincoln felt in his heart of hearts before, during or after the Civil War; secession was a direct response to the election of Lincoln and the rightly perceived threat to the institution of slavery."

The debate in the South on the subject of secession had been going on for years. There were issues when it came down to overseas trade and taxes and all kinds of stuff.

The bottom line here is that the US Civil War was not entirely about slavery when it began but... it was when it ended.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: redoubt

This is not about the McDonalds Arch or the Adidas Stripes...

It's a flag designed by a white supremacist with the intention of symbolising and representing white supremacy...
It later represented traitors to the union who murdered decent Americans fighting for equal rights...
Later it represented the infamous lynch mob the KKK...

No amount of Southern Pride changes that into a positive symbol.

How can southern pride symbolism be worthy of recognition but when it's what it truly symbolises it's PC history deleting division?

Riddle me that if you choose...

We will agree to disagree, I think.

At th etime Lincoln was breaking th e constitutions laws when he declared a war.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: yuppa
Voted on by the people? No our REPRESENTATIVES did that without putting it up for a actual vote in the next election,and therby skipping the will of the SC people.

I said, "ALL removal of the confederate flags have been voluntary or voted on by the people." My point is that no one is telling people what they can or cannot fly. And that's true. The people are free to fly the flag.

But in SC it was to be voted on. it wasnt. its a ballot issue.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Which Amendment exactly?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Which Amendment exactly?

WOw i found a whole list of them he violated.

Lincolns constitutional violations

here is one specifically.

Lincoln sent Union troops door to door in areas of Maryland, a Union state, to confiscate weapons.

This is a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution.

The man dont deserve to be on Mt rushmore let alone the 5 dollar bill. And he didnt actually go to war for th eslaves. he went to war for the money. Sure slavery was bad,but it was on its way out due to cheaper tech replacing hungry mouths to feed.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Hmmm racist OP aside...

The only "violation" I saw was the gun grab...

And in hindsight when someone decides to take up arms against the government they can expect to be detained and have their valuables, including guns, confiscated.

I also found what the other poster said informative about extreme circumstances putting The Constitution on the backburner...

Whether justified or not, I've heard that can happen.

Thanks for sharing anyways.
Interesting read.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Hmmm racist OP aside...

The only "violation" I saw was the gun grab...

And in hindsight when someone decides to take up arms against the government they can expect to be detained and have their valuables, including guns, confiscated.

I also found what the other poster said informative about extreme circumstances putting The Constitution on the backburner...

Whether justified or not, I've heard that can happen.

Thanks for sharing anyways.
Interesting read.

Free speech wa s another violation. The guy makes good points. ANd good examples. The constitution does not say "in extreme circumstances"

At th e time it was not UNCONSTITUTIONAL and as such he VIOLATED it. But like anything concerning topics such as "palestinians,and or SAINT LINCOLN questioning the status quo is always wrong. Lincoln was a scumbag who got what was coming to him. The only thing he did right was freeing th eslaves. thats it. he still should had been impeached on treason. y aknow what im a post the entire page here without the comments below skewing the posting.

#1 Lincoln ordered the military blockade of Southern ports.

This an act of war.

Only Congress can do that.

At that time Lincoln certainly violated the US Constitution.

#2 Lincoln ordered hundreds of Northern newspapers who dared to speak out against him to be shut down. And their owners and editors were arrested for disloyalty.

This is a clear violation of the 1st Amendment of the Constitution that Lincoln swore to uphold.

#3 Lincoln ordered the arrest of Ohio Congressman Clement Vallandigham for the crime of speaking out against him.

Can you imagine that?

#4 Ex parte Merryman,

Chief Justice of the US Roger Taney, sitting as a judge of the United States Circuit Court for the District of Maryland, ruled that Lincoln had violated the US Constitution when he illegally suspended the Writ of Habeas Corpus.

After hearing this Lincoln signed an arrest warrant to have the Chief Justice of the US arrested.

#5 US Constitution Article lll...

Section 3. Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them.

Lincoln committed treason.

Lincoln waged war upon his own country. Unless one considers secession legal and the Confederacy was a sovereign nation.

#6 Lincoln sent Union troops door to door in areas of Maryland, a Union state, to confiscate weapons.

This is a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution.

Many Constitutional violations against Maryland

'Maryland my Maryland' was published calling Lincoln a tyrant and a despot and a vandal.

Lincoln as already mentioned, trashed the Constitution by suspending the Writ of Habeas Corpus and sending troops door to door confiscating weapons in areas of Maryland.

Maryland was a Union state.

Lincoln ordered the arrest of thousands Marylanders for the crime of 'suspected Southern sympathies'.

Lincoln ordered the arrest of US Congressman Henry May representing Maryland. #7

Lincoln also had arrested...

Most of the Maryland State Legislature #8

Most of the Baltimore city council #9

The police commissioner of Baltimore #10

The mayor of Baltimore #11

Thousands of prominent Maryland citizens. #12

These people were arrested and held in Military prisons, without trial, some of them for years.

This trashing of the Constitution upset many Marylanders. One of them was named Booth.

Committing so many crimes against Maryland would end up giving Lincoln a big "headache".

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

April 25 1861, When it looks as though Maryland may secede from the Union, Lincoln sends a letter to General Winfield Scott giving him permission to bombard Maryland's Cities.

This war criminal Lincoln couldn't wait to bombard innocent civilians. We call that Terrorism these days.

#13 Lincoln issues the Emancipation Proclamation.

This is a direct violation of the US Constitution and the US Supreme Courts decision on the matter.

#14 The Lincoln administration allowed the taking of private property for public use without just compensation or due process of law.

This is a clear violation of the 5th Amendment.

A prime example is the Union army stealing Robert E Lees home, Arlington House, which they used as Headquarters.

Since dead Union soldiers were stacking up like cordwood, they started burying them in Lee's yard. There were so many Union soldiers graves here, this was to become Arlington National Cemetery.

#15 The Lincoln Administration routinely used water torture against the thousands of Union prisoners arrested and jailed without trail.

This violates the 8th Amendment,

"Cruel and unusual punishment".

#16 Lincoln was Commander-in-Chief of an Army whose invasion of the South resulted in the deaths of 50,000 Southern civilians.
edit on 15000000pppm by yuppa because: POsted th e full reply so to limit twisting of the post. Minus the off topic replies after.Not a ATS page btw see above link for them.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: HighDesertPatriot
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Students always make the best, informed decisions, don't they? So smart, they are.

Actually, children are the most hip (up on things), of any of us. Have your read the threads about those who had their junk turned inside out so they can become a woman? I recall a lot of utterances from those who are, apparently, vying for parent of the year awards, or maybe just appealing to the masters for their right to breed, in the future, when abortions will become mandatory, who inform us that kids really do know whether they are a woman or a man. And it's their right to start hormone therapy at prepubescence. After all, kids haven't been 'poisoned by hate' etc…. Oh. The irony. Because children are, above everything else, impressionable, and it is by the piper that they are impressed, on everything that squeaks. Just wait till these children, raised by these moral know it alls, become adults…

Oh, wait...

So perhaps it's the children who should be making decisions, for all of us.

# 521
edit on 21-10-2015 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

My only complaint here is that the title is a tad misleading. I didn't read anything in the article to suggest the student body voted on this, in fact, the very first sentence says it was student leaders.

Just wanted to point that out.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

My only complaint here is that the title is a tad misleading. I didn't read anything in the article to suggest the student body voted on this, in fact, the very first sentence says it was student leaders.

Just wanted to point that out.

So much for democracy right? Student government screwing over its constituents. just like in washington.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

What do you mean here? "It was to be voted on"? It was voted on by the legislature. There was never a need to put it on a ballot for the people. If you have issue with that, take it up with the SC legislature.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

What do you mean here? "It was to be voted on"? It was voted on by the legislature. There was never a need to put it on a ballot for the people. If you have issue with that, take it up with the SC legislature.

Alot of people are considering doing just that this election season i hear,but we have to wait and see.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Just an update to this thread:

Ole Miss Removes State Flag from Campus

The student government voted to ask the university to remove the state flag. Faculty and staff leaders did the same. Interim Chancellor Morris Stocks agreed.

On Monday, campus police lowered the state flag from Lyceum Circle. It will be placed in university archives, school officials said.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
They're going to keep the mascot though, right? He's cool.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I'm sure they will... however they may eventually drop the "Rebel" from his name... Watch this space...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join