It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Canada Confirms Second Mad Cow Case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has confirmed that a second case of mad cow disease has been found in a herd. Mad Cow also known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy cost the Canadian beef industry an estimated 4.2 billion U.S. dollars when confirmed cases in 2003 forced its biggest trading partner, the United States, to suspend imports. The U.S. just reopened imports and officials say that this will not change that.

story.news.yahoo.com
WINNIPEG, Manitoba (Reuters) - A final laboratory test has confirmed an Alberta dairy cow had mad cow disease, the second case Canada has found in its herd, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency said on Sunday.

Veterinary officials said on Thursday that preliminary tests had been positive for the brain-wasting mad cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

"Confirming BSE in this animal is not unexpected," the agency said in a news release, noting it was born before feed rules designed to stop the spread of the disease.

The United States, Canada's largest export market, announced last week it would begin to accept imports of young, live cattle thought to be at low risk for the disease from March 7, and U.S. officials said on Thursday there were no plans to change that, despite the preliminary positive test.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The find comes from the same dairy however, one has to wonder if others are out there. Or our beef farms as well. The cattle industry has lobbied tooth and nail to not have to test each cow for the disease. However, I would be more than willing to pay more for my steak for that peace of mind. Call it a surcharge if you want, but it places the cost on the consumers of beef and not our vegetarian friends.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
*sigh* I remember how the price of beef soared in 2003
and how the prices really didn't go down enough yet.
I also remember that the prices went up even though local butchers in my area were NOT getting beef from Canada. In fact, the butcher I deal with now probably has most of his fresh meats from local farms---that is my guess---I'll have to ask them

I also remember that the Beef Industry had to fulfill contractual obligations with its customers in Asia. So there was less beef for the US to go around in 2003. (I cannot link this. I saw the letter, though.)

If you are eating the meat of a dairy cow, you are not eating prime or choice. Beef comes from steers, right?
If dairy prices go up, it is merely what the market will bear, the customers be damned.
It's one thing to raise prices legitimately, but we both know they raise the prices much the same way gas stations raise theirs.
I remember, egg prices shot up the same week the beef prices went up in 2003. You've seen those egg-laying cows, no?

[edit on 2-1-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Most beef comes from steers, but that yummy prepackaged hamburger and frozen patties comes from USDA Select which is a step below Choice.

Im not sure if it has to be a steer though. I was recently looking up some state regulations for California. Admin was trying to place an adult patient in the pediatric ICU (Long story) and came across a reg that stated what percentage of say lips could go into ground meat and still be labled as hamburger *YUCK*

FYI: If I recall right, its like 20% (Thats a lot of lips) But having workded in a slaughter house one summer lets just say nothing goes to waste NOTHING

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Not to make light of the subject as it is a serious one indeed, however, i think i may already be afflicted by the "vaca loca" (sore knees, lapses of memory while posting, irrational
liberal that i am)

I keep hoping the price of meat comes down, thats all i like to eat, and darn if its not still the same!..and while i'm on the subject of food, i havent been able to buy a chicken since i came to live in Arizona, 9.00 for a small fryer! unbelievable! what's happened to all the chickens in the southwest?

The time will come when we will be at risk when eating fruit loops

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
This in a sense would be carelessness on behalf of our government if anyone or any animal becomes infected within our borders. If they have found two different cows, how many more have contracted the disease. Even worse, what happens if just one cows with the disease slips through the border. It may infect the other cows around and a chaineffect disaster is in the works.

I pray the US inspects every piece of meat coming over, but I doubt that. Unless the price of meat were to raise dramatically, they wouldn't put as much effort in to prevent a mad cow epidemic, especially for cheaper meats.

[edit on 4-1-2005 by makavelli]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
The time will come when we will be at risk when eating fruit loops

Wow, dg, I am amazed at the prices you pay for chicken. In MI, for about $2.00/pound, I can get an organic free-range chicken. That's about $9.00 for a good sized bird. I will NOY consume Tyson chickens or their ilk.

As for the fruit loops, I hope that was a joke. We are at risk if we eat too many fuit loops: all that SUGAR and highly refined flour *blanch*.

I think mad cow disease is the least of our problems. I suggest watching the movie Supersize Me. It will open your eyes and change your way of thinking about eating highly processed foods---not just fast foods.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FredT, being in the medical profession, can a person who has a good diet and a good immune system be fairly safe from ill effects of eating a Mad Cow????

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Here we go again...

visz.rsoe.hu...

The latest discovery of a 6 year old female, how many calves has she has since then?

[edit on 26-2-2008 by antar]

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I guess I will place this just in as well, cows infected with anthrax?

visz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I just 'have' to bump this up to make sure anyone and everyone gets a chance to know that it is happening again.

new topics

top topics

join