It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP INVESTIGATION: Nuclear Smugglers Sought Terrorist Buyers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

In the backwaters of Eastern Europe, authorities working with the FBI have interrupted four attempts in the past five years by gangs with suspected Russian connections that sought to sell radioactive material to Middle Eastern extremists, The Associated Press has learned. The latest known case came in February this year, when a smuggler offered a huge cache of deadly cesium — enough to contaminate several city blocks — and specifically sought a buyer from the Islamic State group.

Disturbing news. That's our biggest fear right, Middle Eastern brown terrorists getting their hands on nuclear materials to make a dirty bomb? For some reason Al Qaeda never got the job done but the up and coming ISIS clearly has the funds to buy nuclear materials from these Russian gangstas. ISIS already has 88 pounds of uranium (not enriched), which can't be turned into a dirty bomb in its current state but still could be worked on to make it so.

As far as scary brown Muslim go, ISIS seems to take the cake so if any of these groups would or could do this it's them. That said, the timing of this article is suspect since Russia joining the Syrian fight has been making headlines recently. Not that I doubt the information provided (well, maybe a little
) but propaganda much?

What do you think?
edit on 6-10-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Natural uranium is more radioactive than the depleted uranium people complain about contaminating neighborhoods in the ME, so couldn't it be made into a dirty bomb? Just because it's not as 'hot' as cesium or something?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I'm sure the MSM will spin this as Russia supporting ISIS in some way. Of course those who actually investigate it know that isn't true, a couple of gangsters are not representative of the Russian government, but a lot of people just accept what is told to them on the news without investigating further.

Where is ISIS getting all of their funds from? How did they get uranium? And how do some dirty desert crawlers expect to actually build a bomb? A lot of unanswered questions about ISIS in my opinion. They're obviously hired to do a job and work for the highest bidder, only question is who is the highest bidder?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

More propaganda from western media as expected. Keep em coming, not you Swills..

Everybody with at least half a brain, have connected the dots which is so obvious and the more we hear stories like this the more the US is exposing their own dirty rotten lies.

Peace

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Is there a need to refer to them as ''brown Muslims''

Slightly racist isn't it ?

ISIS.. the global bogey man..

you know, if the US were fair dink-um about stopping these groups - they'd just cut their funding off.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: paradoxious

More than likely, the Cesium in question is CS137. It is a bit more radioactive than naturally occurring Uranium isotopes, but it has a MUCH shorter half-life, and the Uranium is far more toxic on a purely biological level. It could be utilized in a radiological bomb if refined into a powder. Though, the reason that DU is of such concern is because of the massive amounts that were dispersed into the environment in combat zones. Even if it is at a lower activity level than natural Uranium ores, natural Uranium does not generally occur in huge quantities on the surface of the planet, and especially not in aerosolized particles.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Brown Muslims isn't a racist term neither is white Muslims or black Christians , I call it truth not some ,can't say that brigade bs , the worlds gone soft go Putin!

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

ISIS is getting the majority of their funding from seizing assets in areas they overtake, selling the resources from those areas (oil, for instance, not to mention massive amounts of military equipment), and sympathetic people directly or indirectly donating it to them. On the surface, at least. I honestly don't think there's much support coming from regional governments, because they pretty much all have an interest in not seeing ISIS succeed. Except perchance Iraq and Afghanistan. The Taliban is aligned along fairly similar lines as ISIS, and the Iraqi 'government' is struggling to keep the Shia Muslim hold on what's left of their nation. So I wouldn't think they'd be above bribery. Though I'm not sure the Islamic State would accept it.
Iran wants to remain the only real Muslim power in the region, so it's not in their interests to allow ISIS to succeed in their grand Caliphate. And the Saudis are seen as being infidels because they are basically Wahabists. So ISIS has no desire to align with or accept aid from them either. And they reciprocate the sentiment quite clearly.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

In the US, at least, there's a fairly distinct difference between 'brown' (generally middle-eastern born or descended) and 'black' (US born African American members of the Nation of Islam) Muslims. And then, of course, there's African Muslims. It's a mud pit to try and discuss.
While using accurate descriptive terminology has fallen out of favor because it may describe race, it is also against burgeoning social norms to ignore race. Either choice is considered a racist action, so pick your poison.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: paradoxious

Got me, I have no interests in making a dirty bomb. They would like to kill a lot of innocent civilians and they need something that will provide either a big bang or death by chemicals.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I'm sure we can count on Fox News for that.

Where did they get uranium? They stole it from a university in Iraq.

How do they get their funds? From so many different avenues it's ridiculous.

So a group with a lot of money and income can figure out a way to hire someone to make a bomb or kidnap someone to make a bomb.
edit on 6-10-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: InnerPeace2012

Definitely all too common when the US has a target in its sights. And every time we fall for it, well almost everyone.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I was wondering if anyone would assume I'm being slightly racist by that remark but I'm not trying to be and it isn't.

As far as I'm concerned, we're all conditioned to fear the brown Arab Muslim terrorists so let's call a spade a spade.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

I still don't get it.

They are Muslim..

There are English Muslims, Japanese Muslims, American Muslims... all ranges of colors.

We don't condone referring to people as ''yellow japs'' or ''black negro's''

I don't see why calling them ''brown Muslims'' is appropriate in this forum.. but maybe that's just me.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Because they hail from the Middle East and the common description of them in everything from the news to movies is that they are brown, not black, not white, not yellow.

If you really feel I'm being racist by all means hit the Alert button but let's not derail the thread because of it.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Never said it was appropriate or inappropriate. Just clarifying the term a bit. And also pointing out the built-in hypocrisy in discussing race, not discussing race, or eating a sandwich, as it occurs in the US.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Oh, and just to be technical, 'black negro', while highly offensive, is also highly redundant. The word 'negro' is Spanish for 'black', for one. Two, the still technically accurate, though woefully outdated moniker for that particular racial derivation is Negroid. The other two are Caucasoid and Mongoloid.
While is don't necessarily agree with the usage, I did understand that the original intent of 'brown Muslim' was to specify a subset of Muslims from a particular region. Not to cast aspersions about the shade of their epidermis.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

And, lastly, if they (as in all the particular types of Muslims you mentioned) are all the same, why are the particular Muslims we are discussing completely disowned by all other Muslims. ISIS certainly claims to be acting in the name of Allah, but nothing in their doctrine seems to indicate they have any understanding whatsoever of His divine will.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

As far as scary brown Muslim go, IStake the cakeIS seems to take the cake so if any of these groups would or could do this it's them

That was an excellent pun.(yellow cake). It doesnt take an awful lot of work for uranium , just the equipment

top topics

join