It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parramatta shooting: Multiple shots fired outside police HQ on Charles Street

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

LOL....says the guy sitting in Australia commenting on American issues.....the irony is strong within you. This is just a classic example of "armchair cowboy" if I have ever seen one.

If America didn't poke it's nose into everyone elses business I might agree that you have a point.

But as we live in a world where America thinks it has the right to interfere with the rest of the worlds business then I claim the right to have my say on events in America to my hearts content. Don't like it? TOUGH.

Now go back to tenderly stroking your gun and not caring how many people die as long as you get to keep it.

Now that is a funny reply. You jump down the throats of people who actually live in the US about issues that have absolutely no effect on, nor deal directly with YOU when YOU don't even live in the country you are talking about.

Yes, you have the right to do and say as you please, especially in the US, which you are not a part of.

Your opinion is duly noted and discarded as one that does not matter and has no bearing on anyone here, actually residing in the US. You have shown that you are just as bad as anyone else that wants to suppress others ability to speak up....congrats on your accomplishment.

No go back to tenderly stroking your keyboard with less rights than I have, not caring how many people don't care about your opinion in the US.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: bellagirl

originally posted by: BobaFettish

Yet:

As of 2015 about 815,000 people had a gun licence in Australia and there was around 3.5 to 5.5 million Registered Firearms in Australia.

Source

So plenty of guns still there....I wonder what the REAL problem is.....doesn't appear to be the guns.

You're conveniently forgetting the fact that our gun laws here prevent assault rifles from getting into the wrong hands. Thats what the restrictions are about here, keeping high powered weapons out of peoples hands who do not NEED them.

The kid didn't need a hand gun, yet he still managed "very easily", to get one on the fly.

The only thing Australia's gun laws prevent is people (like all the ones who died in the café siege), cant protect themselves. If someone or everyone in that café had been carrying, not one person would have died, other than the religious fruitcake (who also incidentally was able to get a gun somehow), that took them hostage.

Gun Prohibition does not reduce crime, it does not prevent crazies or extremists.

A disarmed country is not a crime free, peaceful country. A disarmed country is a country full of sitting ducks.

Your wrong. Its a fact we are safer.

We are a peaceful country. We are not sitting ducks.

Your refusal to accept the truth is bordering on a new form of crazy.

And about ducks....if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck....its a frigging duck. Unless your a gun loving American. then its a pigeon in disguise looking to rob you of your freedom and harm all of your family.

You are the exact reason why the whole world now fears for your country.

No guns..check... populace who is scared to act check.... Ok soon as i get me a army(russia le tme have a few batallions of spetsnaz pleaze?) well be making a visit and drop in. DOnt worry no nation building will happen. well just stroll in eliminate your police,and helpless military and rob yall blind. THen maybe then Australia would find a reason to arm its citizens again.

Thats is what Australia has opened itself up to. WHat happens if the US just lets China or russia stroll in? We dont have GUns in the US just for our leaders. we have them for outsiders to also be scared of. We want the world to fear us and our vengeance when we are attacked.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

No guns..check... populace who is scared to act check....

In those 10 words you have successfully shown that you know absolutely nothing about Australia whatsoever.

Congratulations, I couldn't have done it better myself.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Yet:

As of 2015 about 815,000 people had a gun licence in Australia and there was around 3.5 to 5.5 million Registered Firearms in Australia.

Source

So plenty of guns still there....I wonder what the REAL problem is.....doesn't appear to be the guns.

You're conveniently forgetting the fact that our gun laws here prevent assault rifles from getting into the wrong hands. Thats what the restrictions are about here, keeping high powered weapons out of peoples hands who do not NEED them.

The kid didn't need a hand gun, yet he still managed "very easily", to get one on the fly.

The only thing Australia's gun laws prevent is people (like all the ones who died in the café siege), cant protect themselves. If someone or everyone in that café had been carrying, not one person would have died, other than the religious fruitcake (who also incidentally was able to get a gun somehow), that took them hostage.

Gun Prohibition does not reduce crime, it does not prevent crazies or extremists.

A disarmed country is not a crime free, peaceful country. A disarmed country is a country full of sitting ducks.

And about ducks....if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck....its a frigging duck. Unless your a gun loving American. then its a pigeon in disguise looking to rob you of your freedom and harm all of your family.

No guns..check... populace who is scared to act check.... Ok soon as i get me a army(russia le tme have a few batallions of spetsnaz pleaze?) well be making a visit and drop in. DOnt worry no nation building will happen. well just stroll in eliminate your police,and helpless military and rob yall blind. THen maybe then Australia would find a reason to arm its citizens again.

Thats is what Australia has opened itself up to. WHat happens if the US just lets China or russia stroll in? We dont have GUns in the US just for our leaders. we have them for outsiders to also be scared of. We want the world to fear us and our vengeance when we are attacked.

Yeah, I would hate to see what would happen should a war break out and there isn't enough military force in place to defend the country itself.

Human Shielding comes to mind as they would be resorting to throwing rocks. Once the military is overrun, there is nothing left to keep invaders out.

I think it is silly for countries to believe that these things won't happen again....you know....history and all.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

especially in the US, which you are not a part of.

I hate to burst your little bubble, but there is nothing "special" about the U.S. having freedoms. Most of us in the Western world enjoy those same freedoms - including the freedom to have some common sense and keep guns away from nutters as much as humanly possible.

But thanks for reminding me I am not a part of the U.S. You surely couldn't have ACTUALLY thought that I was confused on that issue, so the question is why would you say such a thing? Would that be American arrogance and the mistaken theory of American exceptionalism shining through? Methinks that's exactly what it is.

Poor form

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

No guns..check... populace who is scared to act check....

In those 10 words you have successfully shown that you know absolutely nothing about Australia whatsoever.

Congratulations, I couldn't have done it better myself.

LOL...yes because every single weapon that would be effectively used in a time of war must be rendered inoperable by the owner. So you guys are left with

Firearms in Australia are grouped into categories set out in the National Firearm Agreement, with different levels of control. The categories are:

Category A: Rimfire rifles (not semi-automatic), shotguns (not pump-action or semi-automatic), air rifles including semi automatic, and paintball gun. A "Genuine Reason" must be provided for a Category A firearm.
Category B: Centrefire rifles including pump action (not semi-automatic), muzzleloading firearms made after 1 January 1901. A category B license also covers category A but not vice versa
Category C: Self-loading rimfire rifles holding 10 or fewer rounds and pump-action or self-loading shotguns holding 5 or fewer rounds. Primary producers, occupational shooters[clarification needed], firearm dealers, firearm safety officers, collectors and some clay target shooters can own functional Category C firearms.
Category D: Self-loading centrefire rifles, pump-action or self-loading shotguns holding more than 5 rounds. Functional Category D firearms are restricted to government agencies and occupational shooters. Collectors may own deactivated Category D firearms.
Category H: Handguns including air pistols and deactivated handguns. Neither South Australia nor Western Australia require deactivated handguns to be regarded as handguns after deactivation. This situation[when?] prompted the deactivation and diversion of thousands of handguns to the black market in Queensland[vague] – the loophole[which?] shut since 2001) This class is available to target shooters and certain security guards whose job requires possession of a firearm. To be eligible for a Category H firearm, a target shooter must serve a probationary period of 6 months using club handguns, after which they may apply for a permit. A minimum number of matches yearly to retain each category of handgun and be a paid-up member of an approved pistol club.[3]
These categories – A,B,C,D and H were those determined by the NFA. The others listed here are determined by the states that have implement them at their own discretion.

Target shooters are limited to handguns of .38 or 9mm calibre or less and magazines may hold a maximum of 10 rounds. Participants in certain "approved" pistol competitions may acquire handguns up to .45", currently Single Action Shooting and Metallic Silhouette. IPSC shooting is approved for 9mm/.38/.357 sig, handguns that meet the IPSC rules, but larger calibres are not approved for IPSC handgun shooting contests in Australia.[4] Category H barrels must be at least 100mm (3.94") long for revolvers, and 120mm (4.72") for semi-automatic pistols unless the pistols are clearly ISSF target pistols; magazines are restricted to 10 rounds. Handguns held as part of a collection were exempted from these limits.
Category R/E: Restricted weapons, such as machine guns, rocket launchers, full automatic self loading rifles, flame-throwers, anti-tank guns, Howitzers and other artillery weapons can be owned by collectors in some states provided that these weapons have been rendered permanently inoperable. They are subject to the same storage and licensing requirements as fully functioning firearms.

Now the ammunition laws are what I would be more concerned with....you may be able to get the gun under the very strictest of circumstances, but ammo is a whole other beast....don't get caught with too much!

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Most logical, non-psychopathic and law abiding people don't see the need to carry massive amounts of ammo as the only reason for this would be to kill large amounts of people.

Apparently you disagree with this and that is very worrying indeed.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

especially in the US, which you are not a part of.

I hate to burst your little bubble, but there is nothing "special" about the U.S. having freedoms. Most of us in the Western world enjoy those same freedoms - including the freedom to have some common sense and keep guns away from nutters as much as humanly possible.

But thanks for reminding me I am not a part of the U.S. You surely couldn't have ACTUALLY thought that I was confused on that issue, so the question is why would you say such a thing? Would that be American arrogance and the mistaken theory of American exceptionalism shining through? Methinks that's exactly what it is.

Poor form

Ha...no, arrogance would be your posting about US issues thinking we care about your thoughts on it.

You are the one sitting in another country spouting off about the US, not the other way around. Arrogance seems to be a strong part of your persona. Your problem is you will find few that care about your opinion once they find you are not in the US, nor affected by anything the US does.

You claim the US pokes their nose in everything, please give me a direct example of how the US has affected your daily life, personally, how has the US affected your life?

Or are you just the defender of world freedom with a chip on your shoulder because you read the latest MSM article on war and feel the need voice your completely un-involved, outside of a computer screen, opinion?

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

a reply to: Vasa Croe

Most logical, non-psychopathic and law abiding people don't see the need to carry massive amounts of ammo as the only reason for this would be to kill large amounts of people.

Apparently you disagree with this and that is very worrying indeed.

No, that would be called responsible gun ownership because we, here in the ignorant/arrogant US, as law abiding gun owners, feel the responsibility to practice and train and become proficient at shooting the weapons we have. I would much rather have someone that spends thousands of rounds of ammo at the range practicing right next to me, if needed, than someone that just pulled the pistol from their safe with a 12 year old box of ammo....

ETA: And God forbid you should personally be shot because unless someone else in your family was on the same license for the firearm used to protect your family, they are not allowed to use it. And if they were they would have to first get the gun out of one safe in one room, then go to the other room to the other safe where the ammo had to be stored in order to even use it.

What is police response time in Australia? Is it like Jimmy Johns? Freaky Fast? Or is it like it is here in the US......slow and typically shows up after the event has ended?
edit on 10/5/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Ha...no, arrogance would be your posting about US issues thinking we care about your thoughts on it.

Thankyou for proving my entire point!

Apart from that everything else is off-topic and I would ask that you please return to it or be silent.

The fact remains that Australia has proven that gun restrictions do work, regardless of the bleeting and moaning from those who would see people die as long as they get to keep their guns. We never claimed it stopped ALL murders, but it certainly reduced the amount of gun crime significantly and completely wiped out mass murders by gun.

This 15 year old moron was a terrorist in the making and was looking for martyrdom. He killed one person then was cut down by police officers. My sympathies go out to the victims family - thankfully there was only one due to our strict regulation of guns. The laws worked perfectly and only add to the body of proof that our system here works.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Yet:

Source

Yeah, I would hate to see what would happen should a war break out and there isn't enough military force in place to defend the country itself.

Human Shielding comes to mind as they would be resorting to throwing rocks. Once the military is overrun, there is nothing left to keep invaders out.

I think it is silly for countries to believe that these things won't happen again....you know....history and all.

Nup.. We'll just use our astonishing good looks and fair dinkum Aussie charm.

The enemy will just melt in our hands..

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Thankyou for proving my entire point!

Apart from that everything else is off-topic and I would ask that you please return to it or be silent.

The fact remains that Australia has proven that gun restrictions do work, regardless of the bleeting and moaning from those who would see people die as long as they get to keep their guns. We never claimed it stopped ALL murders, but it certainly reduced the amount of gun crime significantly and completely wiped out mass murders by gun.

This 15 year old moron was a terrorist in the making and was looking for martyrdom. He killed one person then was cut down by police officers. My sympathies go out to the victims family - thankfully there was only one due to our strict regulation of guns. The laws worked perfectly and only add to the body of proof that our system here works.

And the morons who advocate total gun control to the general public, who insists that they are doing so on humanitarian values, are contradicting themselves because they don't acknowledge that just as many people are dying because they can't defend themselves.

"It's all good, my neighbour can't walk into my house and kill my family, so I'm safe. I don't care about all those people who died in a shopping mall café because nobody was able to stop a maniac ,who did have a gun".

Totally hypocritical.

So tell me, how did strict gun laws stop this guy and the 15 year old kid...? I'm waiting with bated breath for this answer, because neither of them had legally owned firearms. The current gun laws don't even factor into events like this, other than to demonstrate how in-effective they are because those deaths may have been negated all together if some of those citizens had been armed.

The "strict regulation", of guns means little to nothing to the criminal element of Australian society, as there are millions "MILLIONS", of illegal firearms floating around the country in the hands of criminals and on the black market. So again, how do our gun laws affect these elements exactly?
edit on 5-10-2015 by BobaFettish because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join