It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan raises aid to $500 million.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I hate to be the one to raise questioning to these wonderful raising of monetary aid to the Tsunami affected areas, but are we now just belittling the efforts of so many by boasting our monetary power? Our we just outbidding one another to see who can do better, or are we actually trying to be sincerely humanitarians by uping the ante? It seems to me that these countries are now just competing instead of helping. Anyone else agree?

News Article:
www.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Is this not a valid question of intentions?

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I think some of the donations may be motivated by oneupsmanship after that 'stingy' comment about western nations.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
When are the Europeans going to show that they aren't "stingy"?

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Im sure there are some that are, But to behonest as long as SE Asia are getting whats needed then im happy, so if outbidding brings the money then so be it,

but i really believe that The UK, (where im from) is no way involved in any out bidding, we as a country do tend to give when needed and pull together to raise the money

Just my thoughts

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBigD

They already have. My advice to you is to read and learn.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I am sure that countries are trying to one up each other. But you do need to look at it from another perspective as well.

I was online the night ( at least it was night here in the pacific northwest Seattle, WA ) the tsunami/earthquake occured. I watched the coverage ( mostly online ), at first the death toll was annouced at 10k +. Now it is over 120k+. So for all you mathematicians, here is a simple formula lmao---

as time increases..... Known problems increases. Another good example is the sanitation issue. Sanitation was not an issue immediately following the disaster, however as people get mobilized the course of actions needed become much more clear. Therefore, the amount/projected cost of repairs of such a disaster become clearer. So in reality is it a oneupmanship? Or is it just a simple fact that now the people involved with cleaning up the mess know more about what is needed to solve the issue.

If it is oneupmanship, Why the hell not? Better to compete in this way versus in battle or war.. Just as a reminder the watr in iraq alone so far has cost over 170 BILLION dollars.. So i hope this oneupmanship in charity will become a trend

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4

They already have. My advice to you is to read and learn.

EU, the last I read gave 4 million. I'm referring to the continual uping of the ante, Japan and U.S. had to prove themselves of not being "stingy" because of a genuinely accurate remark made by a European UN official. So, now is Europe going to outdue Japan?

P.S. It's very rude of you trying to insult my intelligence by saying, "My advice to you is to read and learn." Please don't do it again.

[edit on 1-1-2005 by TheBigD]

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   

EU, the last I read gave 4 million. I'm referring to the continual uping of the ante, Japan and U.S. had to prove themselves of not being "stingy" because of a genuinely accurate remark made by a European UN official. So, now is Europe going to outdue Japan?

If the last you heard was $4 million, you haven't been keeping track.
It was 30 million Euros from days ago ($40 million)

The donations from individual European nations is also in the 10s of millions.

Ireland increases tsunami aid to 10 million euros link

France has pledged US$57 million (euro41.8 million),
Britain US$95 million (euro70) million,
Sweden US$75.5 million (euro55.4 million).
link

A couple of days ago, Germany was at $27 million dollars
Netherlands was at $36 million dollars
Portugal was at $11 million dollars. link

[edit on 1-1-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Thanks. Obviously I haven't been keeping up with the news.

top topics

join