It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China wants to build world’s first fission–fusion reactor “by 2030”

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

The project is being attempted by the Academy of Engineering Physics in Sichuan, a military research facility where nuclear weapons are developed.

I read the description of what they're really doing at the end of the article.

Here's what it is: use a tokamak to make lots of fast neutrons which hit a U-238 (natural, cheap uranium) blanket.

It's a breeder hybrid reactor for the precise production of weapons grade Pu-239.

There is no unsolved science here, all the basic principles are very well known, it's just a whole bunch of complex engineering.

Background: To make good plutonium you need one neutron but not two---Pu240 is a contaminant, and you have to run the reactor system in a way to minimize the total Pu240 generation. This goes against the goal of economical power production where you want to squeeze out as much energy from the uranium fuel you've purchased as possible. I suspect they might try to minimize fission in the outer blanket and not maximize it.

A highly controllable source of clean neutrons from the fusion reactor would make the design & production easier than a conventional fission only reactor.

edit on 27-9-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I think this is interesting. Not perfectly "clean" compared to pure fusion but it's a start. Think of it as being based around the exact same concept around how the H-bomb works, so it's a proven tech in that regard. (But in the bomb the reaction is purposely set to runaway.) I'm curious how they'll get the fusion side of the reaction stabilized and moderated for containment in a reactor. This might be the cheapest approach too. The fission side of the reactor may be very small compared to those used in current power production, and the secondary lithium fuel as the hydrogen source would be cheap compared to the uranium side.

I wouldn't be too surprised if this is the result of those missing hard drives at Los Alamos a few years back, but it'd be cool if it was used more to make power more efficiently instead of just for some improved weapons. (However if that's true, it's something the U.S. should have been working on first instead of the Chinese.)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The DF5 and DF6 (allegedly peaceful use) Chinese rockets can each carry 20 MIRVed nuclear warheads in the Megaton Class. What needs lots of clean plutonium? Why MT class (fusion) nukes of course.

These guys also want to put a weapons grade mega Laser in orbit (for peaceful purposes, of course.)
edit on 28-9-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

nextbigfuture.com...

edit on 28-9-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701
The DF5 and DF6 (allegedly peaceful use) Chinese rockets can each carry 20 MIRVed nuclear warheads in the Megaton Class. What needs lots of clean plutonium? Why MT class (fusion) nukes of course.

These guys also want to put a weapons grade mega Laser in orbit (for peaceful purposes, of course.)

nextbigfuture.com...

Hey thats to fight pollution lololz!

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
the Chinese President had a very detailed meeting with President Obama a couple of days ago, perhaps that was on the list of items discussed, no one reported what they talked about so its only speculation on my part
edit on 28-9-2015 by blacktie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   
The East is forcing the West's hand into a limited tech disclosure. Energy, propulsion, and medical advances are on the table. BRICS, Syria, Iran, the Pacific expanse, we're all a chips in a retaliatory strategy against the West's system of greed and secrecy.

This tech and much more has been surpressed and reserved for over a half of century. This 100 year old feudalism has been perpetuated by the same cast of character tied to Big Energy, and Big Bank. Threats of war or international isolation was the mechanism to keep countries under global non-disclosure, in spite of breakthrough discoveries.

The Bush era prompted the East to take action, seeing how arrogant and overreaching these Western nations have become via the Middle East. All these current talks and negotiations between the two hemispheres are all euphemisms for tech disclosure. This is why headlines will subtext some form of scientific pursuit, acquisition, discovery, etc... I'm sure some of the East's consessions and compromises will be related to joint management and assimilation into the Western banking for overt insertion of new tech for the Eastern Nations in question..

This year and next year will probably the most important chronicle of your lifetimes. These entanglements will either result the birth of a new, progressive era (A Golden Age), or another 50+ years of feudalism of 99% of mankind. Don't let all the political theater fool you.
edit on 29-9-2015 by trifecta because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: trifecta
The East is forcing the West's hand into a limited tech disclosure. Energy, propulsion, and medical advances are on the table. BRICS, Syria, Iran, the Pacific expanse, we're all a chips in a retaliatory strategy against the West's system of greed and secrecy.

This tech and much more has been surpressed and reserved for over a half of century. This 100 year old feudalism has been perpetuated by the same cast of character tied to Big Energy, and Big Bank. Threats of war or international isolation was the mechanism to keep countries under global non-disclosure, in spite of breakthrough discoveries.

The Bush era prompted the East to take action, seeing how arrogant and overreaching these Western nations have become via the Middle East. All these current talks and negotiations between the two hemispheres are all euphemisms for tech disclosure. This is why headlines will subtext some form of scientific pursuit, acquisition, discovery, etc... I'm sure some of the East's consessions and compromises will be related to joint management and assimilation into the Western banking for overt insertion of new tech for the Eastern Nations in question..

This year and next year will probably the most important chronicle of your lifetimes. These entanglements will either result the birth of a new, progressive era (A Golden Age), or another 50+ years of feudalism of 99% of mankind. Don't let all the political theater fool you.

Now that I think of it the reactor just seems like an advanced reactor for some top secret space technology, or should I say advanced propulsion that hasnt made it out to the public yet.

So think of a flying reactor, not the shield helicarrier from marvel comics but something else like magnetic propulsion, with a power supply like this they could go pretty much anywhere.

edit on 29-9-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: trifecta

no. actually chinese white papers on doctrine reveal that the west did not prompt the chinese to take this route. economic growth and prosperity did.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

More euphemisms. I would also imagine tech disclosure would result in prosperity and growth, no? The bottom line is the Chinese are not going to make ulterior motives plainly visible. At the end of the day, they don't truly want war with the West. They need to maintain a shred of secrecy during diplomatic talks, in case the West folds on some key issues/adengas. Hence the euphemisms.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Of course. This is why China released a safe statement. They're trickling down the truly efficient, miniaturized apex of fission/fusion generation. This reminds me of room-sized computers of the 50's/60's. Recently revelations were made that the MIC was already working with solid-state and laptops. Their milking the tech, in token fashion, ala flat screen television.

Scientists in Europe and the East have already announced the harnessing of Cold Fusion. That's a fusion reaction at nearly room temperature. I believe they still have to employ super cooled superconductors, but rumblings of vacuum containment and piezoelectric effects produced with Herbert-smithite.

The moment miniaturized version of the essence of this science comes to light within the public domain, it opens another Pandora's Box, even greater than the internet. There's no turning back in lieu of this reality. A point of no return. Suddenly chemical propulsion, energy grids, and contemporary life becomes obsolete, making way for all the fringe science that couldn't function without streamline energy that towers coefficients in the 1/450 range. We would moving into coefficients in the 5 and 6 digit range. All those wild science fiction themes become material. Anti-gravitics, limitless power, full spectrum cloaking, teleportation, quantum computing, interstellar travel, just to name a few obvious results.

CERN's revelation of mirror particles, the USAF's announcement of full element energy transference, new benchmarks at MIT in particle bi-location non-transit relocation, real gravity boards, ionic holographing ftom Japan, are all examples of tiptoed disclosure. The Pope and Eastern interventions elevated the conversation. Hopefully Obama is a Manchurianesque Trojan horse, to the puppet masters and kingmakers, by pulling a full reversal before he leaves office. It's no accident with the current flesh pressing.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   
There was some recent news that UK and China just signed some nuclear power plant deals for China to build them 2 power plants. I wonder if this model was part of the plan?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join