It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does the seasons system work?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Hey ATS!
So, I know this sounds like a really dumb question, and even I was quite surprised when I realized I couldn't answer it, but, seriously, how does the seasons system work?
I mean, I know that it has to do with the inclination of the earth in relation to the sun, but as I was explaining this to a friend, I kind of realized I myself did not understand it. What I don't understand is: Why is there a difference between Spring and Autumn?
Imagine the earth movement like a line, more or less like this (To make it easier imagine the earth as 2d and tilting from left (winter) to right (summer):

|--Winter(When either the north or the south of the earth is farthest away from the sun, extreme left)--|--Autumn(halfway left, away from the sun)--|--Spring (halfway right, towards the sun)--|--Summer(Extreme right, closest to sun)--|

So, we know the earth, during the year, goes from one tip to the other of this line. But what I don't get is that, when say, Summer has just ended, we enter Autumn, but shouldn't the earth as it tilts back, go to the Spring position, and then to Autumn, then to Winter, then back to Autumn, back to Spring and so on? Rather, shouldn't we have Autumn and Spring between Summer and Winter? And what is the difference between Spring and Autumn, if not?

Taking the risk of being ridiculed, I want someone to explain this to me, and thanks in advance!

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorsen

Here's a very good explanation. www.timeanddate.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: F4guy

That didn't really answer my question though? I mean, I do realize that the distance from the earth to the sun doesn't affect the seasons, but that isn't what I was saying. I'm talking about the earth's inclination towards the sun (North and South, etc.), which is what causes the seasons effect. Am I missing something really obvious here or..?

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Isn't it about the direction of change?
In spring the climate is getting warmer.
In autumn, the climate is getting cooler.
Plant lfe reacts accordingly.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Yes, but is that the only difference? I do have the feeling that my question is even dumber than I think, but I feel like if that's the only difference, then maybe we should only have three seasons?

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorsen
a reply to: F4guy

That didn't really answer my question though? I mean, I do realize that the distance from the earth to the sun doesn't affect the seasons, but that isver n't what I was saying. I'm talking about the earth's inclination towards the sun (North and South, etc.), which is what causes the seasons effect. Am I missing something really obvious here or..?

No, you are right, it is the 23.5 degree tilt that causes seasons as the earth follows its eliptical orbit around the sun. This morning at about 8:30 UCT, the sun was directly above the equator. Because of the tilt, the sun is headed South relative to the equator. It will keep headed South until the third week of December, when it will be directly over the Tropic of Capricorn, which is the line of latitude passing through Brazil, Southern Africa and North Central Australia. That time, when the sun goes from directly over the Equator to over the Tropic of Capricorn describes Autumn in the Northern Hemisphere and Spring in the Southern Hemisphere.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Aren't you forgetting the time-gap?
The sequence is Cool (winter), Warming (spring), Warm (summer), Cooling (autumn).
If you decided to call spring and autumn one season, it would still be a season split into two portions six months apart. We might as well call them two different seasons.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Ok, so this video from Wikipedia actually helped me understand what was in my face. The problem is that I was seeing the earth's movement as 2d, while in fact it spins in 3d much like a spinning top, and the seasons only change at the extreme points. I feel extremely dumb now, but thank you guys for the patience!

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

It has to do with the moons orbit.

Roughly, one half of the year the moon is situated closer to the Southern Hemisphere, and its gravity pulls that part of the earth closer to the sun.

And vice versa.
edit on 23-9-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

It has to do with the moons orbit.

Roughly, one half of the year the moon is situated closer to the Southern Hemisphere, and its gravity pulls that part of the earth closer to the sun.

And vice versa.

Sorry, that is so far off that it's not even wrong. The mass of the moon is only 7.34x10^22kg. Thr earth's is about 6x10^24kg. And since the moon's orbit is almost circular with an eccentricity of only 0.05, that means its distance from the sun mirrors that of earth's, give or take the 384,400 km average distance from earth. And the eccentricity of the earth's orbit puts the earth, and therefore the moon, closer to the sun in winter than summer, at least in the Northern hemisphere. And during your nonsensical half a year, given a sidereal period of 28 days, wouldn't the moon be pulling away from the sun for half of that half year? And that points out the most fundamental flaw in your statement. How can the moon be "situated closer to the Southern Hemisphere" for half a year if it orbits at a 5.1 degree offset from the ecliptic (and NOT the equatorial plane) once every 27.322 days. It isn't anywhere for half a year. Come on, now. Are you just trolling or are you serious about such misinformation?

top topics

join