It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darpa & Spiderfab Mulling Over 500 M to 7 KM Structures in Space Including Giant Telescopes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   
nextbigfuture.com...

second time i have seen an article on this only this one has slides and more detail and of course some speculations.

But it seems Darpa wants a geosynchronous port for repairing refueling and building space craft and using in space 3D printing tech like spider fab. Say good bye to ideas of sticking people in a little can for a year to get to Mars. the capsules can be relegated to lifeboat duty as they should be. Build a 100 meter long space frigate in space. send up a couple of fusion reactors. send up some ELF engines or VASIMRs, Fuel it up, dock a few Orion, Dragon, Blue Shepard, or Dream Chaser lifeboats to it and go in style.

7000 meter trusses on last slide.

"JadeStar" class telescopes on second to last slide.

because most of the article's meat is on slides there is not much to cut and paste here.

edit on 20-9-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: caps for proper names

edit on 20-9-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Anytime I see a DARPA thread I get a little exited, but to be honest this is all just BS.

they have a million ideas but none of them ever make it to the public for use.

Every once in a while we get a cookie crumb like the internet, but that is just a drop in the ocean of what they could really do.

I would love to see DARPA socialize its ideas and start cranking out civilian goods to improve our society.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   
the thing is though like the article author pointed out Spider fab (and there are more with interest in this too) wants to do much of this anyway and Darpa wants the ability for the military at the very least so there is a bit of synergy involved in the idea now. not saying it's a sure thing from this instance but it will show again and again and one such instance will lead to real projects.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Video from your link: youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Video from your link: youtu.be...

Thank you

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I'm gonna put that in the op just to be sure... Thanks again!

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

Not a word about a weapon's platform?

Now, how could they overlook that aspect?

I need to write a letter to the commander of the US Space Force a letter reminding him of the urgency of that need.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
listen....we still dont have the "kitchen of the future" they showed us in the 50s and we dont have flying cars. They never intended the truly game changing technology to ever be given to the unwashed. Get over it.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Anytime I see a DARPA thread I get a little exited, but to be honest this is all just BS.

Well that's certainly a lie, why do you find the need to do that?

Every once in a while we get a cookie crumb like the internet, but that is just a drop in the ocean of what they could really do.

Cool, you called out your own lie in the next sentence. Glad to know you see through your own BS as well.

I would love to see DARPA socialize its ideas and start cranking out civilian goods to improve our society.

Do you not know the history of D(ARPA)? It was established after Russia successfully launched sputnik into orbit and made a fool of us. We vowed to never let Russia get the upper hand on technology again, so DARPA was established in order to advance our tech beyond our adversaries capabilities.

I don't know if you get this, but we don't live in a world with a single society, there are competing powers. The only way to have an edge is to keep your best technology under wraps.

The internet was one of many, many things that came out of DARPA and eventually made it's way into civilian life, the same as NASA.
edit on 20-9-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

This is good news! Great news!! Definitely the way to go. The implementation of 3-D printing and maybe even 4-D printing into Space infrastructure will speed things along nicely. Now if there was only a Rosetta Stone for alien languages, we'd be set.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ratsinacage
listen....we still dont have the "kitchen of the future" they showed us in the 50s and we dont have flying cars. They never intended the truly game changing technology to ever be given to the unwashed. Get over it.

QFT.

Welcome to compulsory feudalism, brought to you by TBTB!

You're not worthy! You can't handle the truth!

But, on a serious note, if contemporary Americans knew that all of the "unaccounted" trillions from federal tax coffers were embezzled by their own government to make spaceships and lunar villas for a select few, the country would have a modern revolution at hand.

You couldn't have that now, could ya?

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

This is good news! Great news!! Definitely the way to go. The implementation of 3-D printing and maybe even 4-D printing into Space infrastructure will speed things along nicely. Now if there was only a Rosetta Stone for alien languages, we'd be set.

Yeah, they've been toying with 3D printing in zero gravity for sometime now. Apparently it's the bee's knees. I hear when used in concert with molecular blending, the results are astonishing. Can't wait to see what new disclosures rise to the surface.
edit on 20-9-2015 by trifecta because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
well several companies as well as NASA are using technologies that fall under the rubric "3D printing" to manufacture rocket parts including whole fully functional rocket engines
building complex things in space is completely feasible.

say when they build this will it be Starbase 1?

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

Well that's certainly a lie, why do you find the need to do that?

Cool, you called out your own lie in the next sentence. Glad to know you see through your own BS as well.

Do you not know the history of D(ARPA)? It was established after Russia successfully launched sputnik into orbit and made a fool of us. We vowed to never let Russia get the upper hand on technology again, so DARPA was established in order to advance our tech beyond our adversaries capabilities.

I don't know if you get this, but we don't live in a world with a single society, there are competing powers. The only way to have an edge is to keep your best technology under wraps.

The internet was one of many, many things that came out of DARPA and eventually made it's way into civilian life, the same as NASA.

Que the excuses for not putting forth a serious effort to better our society! Why because other countries will notice the good things we have and may copy the technology. What a bunch of BS nobody cares about any of that, the weapons of war could destroy the planet thousands of times over yet we scrooge away our brightest ideas and keep on building more BS weaponry that we dont need out of stupidity.

What we need is to better ourselves by aiding each other, stop working against other countries and start working with them. What in gods name is wrong with people not able to understand that we all live on the same earth and we all make it to a brighter future together through cooperation not by trying to kill and compete with each other.
edit on 20-9-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ratsinacage
Have you seen the stuff that exists now that you can actually put into a kitchen? we already have the kitchen of the future. but you have to find and pay for the really good bits and hire someone to install it. it isn't given to you all communist utopia fantasy like. but if you spend the money you can get a kitchen of the future.

The stuff you can actually get in a kitchen these days is amazing. i could make a kitchen that would be right at home on a Startrek set. You would not be able to tell the difference between fake tech and real tech.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
i mean we got stove tops that can be full on carbonizing a steak and you can put you hand on the cooking area and not even feel warm. magic!

we got machines that will make and assemble a hamburger for you.

we got frigerators that dispense multiple types of ice, cold liquid, hot liquids, ice cream...

we can brown or carmelize foods in a microwave. we can use foil or metal in a microwave without conducting a collider experiment.

pressure ovens that cook food like a microwave in terms of speed and convenience.

we have dishwashers.

there is a little hockey puck shaped thing that runs around vacuuming, mopping, sweeping and even UV sterilizing the floors and it feeds itself.

we have food printers.

posted on Sep, 21 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
It's Starbase 1!

top topics

join