It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thread reply and OP limits? Better quality? Less Trolling?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Maybe if there was a limit to replies and OP's written the quality would be better.

If you knew you had a limit to how many replies you can make in a thread or even daily, you might be more careful about posting. If there was a limit on writing OP's maybe the quality of threads would be better.

Maybe this would keep the trolling to a minimum and threads would not get saturated with idiotic comments that bait the OP and create situations where OP's get derailed and closed.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Would still happen, would just happen in fewer pages

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Op won't be able to maintain this.

Stop trolling.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Limiting the number of OPs a person can create wouldn't address the problem ATS has.

The mods are supposed to control it but as hard as they try they're slow. Respond and you're the bad guy.

By the time they get there it's too late and threads are derailed. Off topic. Off to the usual partisan bullhooey.

ATS needs to get a handle on its gangs first and then the focus can get back on OP content.

Frankly? I have a feeling it's going to be all downhill from here on.
edit on 8/19/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I don't like to saturate my own threads with replies to everyone who responds, although I do feel a bit guilty when someone has made a real effort.

But then, I don't want to leave just one or two people out and reply to everyone else

I usually say something in a post to the effect that I appreciate the people who responded and hope that's enough to let them know that I've read all their posts and am glad to have them.

Of course, questions should be responded to and anyone requiring more information ought to be given any that's available.

Trolls - well, in the end they did get me down a bit, although sometimes I'd quite enjoy playing with them.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Mods usually can tell if someone is trolling a thread. Trolls only keep trolling if you keep responding.

If you see it happening, "alert" in the drop down menu below each members avatar, (the "little green man").

Placing limits on number of posts in a thread is silly. So is complaining about "too many posts".
edit on 19-8-2015 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Why not find a way to give nasty non lethal electric shocks via keyboard when low quality posts are made? Then again, one person's low quality is another person's high quality.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I don't think the trade off is good enough as I see it.
Sacrifice any creativity for at best a variable amount
of quality?

Negative!

Wouldn't it be great to go to a dinner party or someones
house for a Bar-B-que. Get all drunk and just start rearranging
all the furniture in the house?

I've done it!
edit on Ram81915v45201500000014 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I like that idea. But I fear that I would be a recipient of such shocks...and who determines post quality? Last one I wrote, I was ripped apart. Sometimes it really sucks sharing an opinion on here. Maybe the threads are crap to begin with? Maybe OP's are doing a crap job at relaying a non-biased message, leading to crap posts and trolling?

TBH, I am not posting on here much anymore. I skim through some stories, but for the most part, a lot is sensationalist spin and a total waste of my time. Good luck trying to "fix" this site though. Perhaps the answer is to just let trolls be trolls. But empower the good thread writers and posters with knowledge and education as to how and when to deal with trolls.

I feel trolling is a symptom of the system we all live in and a re a part of, and which most on here are aware of being corrupt and backwards.

Maybe trolls are just good reminders that someone needs to take responsibility for what they (the individual members and not the troll) think and do and be the bigger person. Deny Ignorance, right?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

I'd probably get a lot of shocks, too. Then again, I like it. It would only encourage me to make worse and worse posts. As for who determines what quality is, it's all a matter of perception; kind of like humor. Some people think fart jokes are below them, while others think that they're the height of humor.
edit on 19-8-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Bad idea.

It would allow one post opinions that may be untrue to go unchallenged.

Especially posts that have thousands of words.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
One recent change has been that the software imposes a time interval between threads.
It is no longer possible for trolls, including one repeat offender, to create new threads at the rate of two a minute.

(post by 3danimator2014 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Please comment to the original topic found here.

Closing

top topics

join