It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Law & Orders Jerry Orbach Dies at 69

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Jerry Orbach of the hit TV series 'Law & Order' died Tuesday, December 28th, at the age of 69. Jerry announced that he was battling prostate cancer in the beginning of December. He had been receiving treatment since early spring, but did not disclose the severity of his disease. Orbach was also known as the voice of Lumiere in "Beauty and the Beast" and being told that 'nobody puts Baby in a corner' in "Dirty Dancing."

www.usatoday.com
With his hangdog looks and deep voice, Orbach was a weary, cynical everyman, his unassuming nature perfect for his role at identifying "perps" of Law & Order's crimes. He appeared on the show for 12 seasons from 1992 until this past spring, longer than any other star, and was teamed with Chris Noth, Benjamin Bratt and, most recently, Jesse L. Martin. In March, he announced plans to switch from Law � and its frequent 14-hour shooting days � to a supporting role, still as Briscoe, on the crime franchise's fourth edition, Trial by Jury, which is due on NBC in March.

But he had completed only a few episodes before beginning intensive chemotherapy this fall. (His role on Trial by Jury will be recast.)

Orbach's agent, Robert Malcolm, said in confirming Orbach's illness only a few weeks ago: "We expect he'll be fine. He's been playing golf, shooting his episodes and doing real well."

Says S. Epatha Merkerson, Orbach's longtime co-star: "He was always such a feisty and strong character and person. It never occurred to me it would go this far."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

We all love that familiar TV series 'Law & Order'. It is sad to see him go, when ever I think of law and order I think of his face. I had no idea that he was battling cancer, as I am sure many didn't. So this story comes as a shock to me, as I'm sure many others. Jerry will be sorely missed, and will always be remembered in our hearts (and the re-runs on TV).

Related News Links:
www.npr.org
news.yahoo.com
www.bloomberg.com
More from Yahoo

[edit on 29-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
That is sad..

I find him GUILTY, of being a great character actor.
And a great star of one of my favorite, TV shows.

RIP Jerry

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Very very sad... I saw him on Broadway doing the intro to several shows.. A real star is gone....

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Having been a fan of Law & Order for years,
and a total "Dirty Dancing" fangirl before that,
I was crushed to hear about his passing this morning.

"This is not a tragedy. A tragedy is three men trapped in a mine or police dogs used in Birmingham."

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
This is bad indeed.

My wife gets off work at 7:30 and rushes to see her main man Lenny Briscoe. I dread having to tell her that fine actor is gone.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
As a long-time fan of Law and Order, I was very saddened to hear of Jerry Orbach's death when I woke up tonight. I'll definitely miss Briscoe's sarcasm. I was looking forward to seeing a little of the new series when it debuted, just to see how he fit into it. Maybe not so much now.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
Having been a fan of Law & Order for years,
and a total "Dirty Dancing" fangirl before that,
I was crushed to hear about his passing this morning.

Funny, i still watch Dirty Dancing....i can never get enough of that movie!!!

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
This sucks, First Reggie White, now Jerry..... These have to be two of the most decent human beings that lived during my time. Unfortunately, one more is to come....

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
My dad is gonna be sad... He loves law and order. He watches it every night and falls to sleep to the sound of the show.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Mam, JErry Orbach was Law & Order.
Wasn't he like the only charcter for the entire run of the original show?
Gonna miss that dude. Always sad when one is as young as he was.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Orbach and Waterson are Law & Order. It will never be the sam again.
Another star gone.

new topics

top topics

join