It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why shouldn't "underage" (or "minors") be named/pictured for their crime?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

1) I was talking about naming/shaming. Not about about the punishment; I said this later in the post
2) Yes kids. They also need to be punished where punishment is due.
3) Respect? I don't care one iota you respect me or not but I will say this; resorting to name calling won't raise my opinion of your good self.

I was rather hoping this would turn into sensible conversation where opinions could be aired and discussed in a thoughtful manner. Seems my opinions are in the minority so I'm off this one.

Outro. Good luck.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow

Sensible? Eye for an eye.....A 14 year old throws a firecracker out on the pavement and it explodes and takes your eye out....So that kid deserves to have his eye taken out as "punishment"??

I am saying there are lines that can be crossed but WHO draws that line in the sand?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow

Kids can do dumb things, but stabbing, and taking a human life is beyond dumb. It lacks conscience and basic respect for human life. The law always gives the benefit of the doubt to the criminal while the victim and their loved ones have to deal with the anger and torment the perpetrator has caused.

If these "kids" don't know the difference between right and wrong by the age of 10, and don't know the basic consequence of taking a human life will put them behind bars for the rest of their life, than they deserve to be treated like an adult! If they do adult crime, absolutely their picture and name should be shown to the public. This isn't a case of vandalism, shop lifting, or fighting. A "kid" can be as much of a threat to the public as an adult! The public has every right to be aware of what these "kids" are capable of doing.

If they're bold enough to commit an adult crime they should be treated as an adult! I'm sure they all watch TV and have seen the nightly news occasionally, not to mention occasional conversations about recent local murders from their parents. There's no reason why they shouldn't understand the consequences if they partake in a violent crime.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Agreed. That is called a kangaroo court or rule by mob rule. We don't do that here.

Seriously? On ATS people don't decide on motive and guilt and then complain why a court of law took a different opinion? News to me.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrCrow
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

I think we'll agree to disagree on this one

I did some stupid stuff when I was young too but I didn't ram a knife into my teacher. Mind you...

Yeah a mistake is shoplifting or blowing up a mail box after filling it with dog pooh.

Stabbing someone in the freaking is NOT a mistake!

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrCrow
In my opinion, this seems silly.

Take this article:

www.bbc.co.uk...

These kids are as dangerous as their adult counterparts. Why shouldn't they be named and shamed?

The answer is because they are not considered legally competent. Until you are an adult you are not considered to be a rational person that knows the difference between right, wrong, legal, and illegal. This is recognized in many areas such as minors being unable to enter contracts, special legal proceedings, sexual consent, and many other areas. To be honest, our over/under 18 cutoff isn't very well constructed as some people mentally mature faster than others but legally a specific point needs to be defined so it is what it is.

As far as naming and shaming goes, we shouldn't be naming anyone for accusations but only for proven wrongdoing and even then it should serve the purpose to inform the public rather than to stir up emotions. Shaming is just about the least productive thing we can be doing as it actively works to prevent the person from rejoining society in the future and as such works contrary to the rehabilitative goal of our justice system.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join