It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Ramsey Clarke to Defend Saddam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
A former US Attorney General under Lyndon Johnson is stepping up to the plate to help defend former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein. Clark who has also helped defend Slobadan Milosevic, Yugoslavian dictator, has said that the special court in Iraq is nothing more than a creation of the US military, and has no authority in law as a criminal court.

english.aljazeera.net
Former US attorney-general Ramsey Clark is to join Saddam Hussein's defence team, a spokesman for the ousted Iraqi president's lawyers says.

Ziad Khasawna said on Wednesday that Clark, who held the office of attorney-general under US president Lyndon Johnson, had "honoured and inspired" the legal team by agreeing to help defend Saddam.

The former top US justice official, who arrived on Tuesday in Jordan where the defence team is based, has become known as a left-wing lawyer and firm critic of US foreign policy since leaving office.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Clark who met with Saddam in February 2003 just prior to the US led invasion to oust him, has been highly critical of the Bush administrations foreign policy. Clark also feels that the US should be put on trial for its invasion of Fallujah, and the torture of Iraqi prisoners.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Mr. Clark will do a fine job for Mr. Saddam. Think of this: We should never had did the invasion thing in Iraq because Saddam held all of these warring factions in check as well as Iran. Bushes pretext was he had WMD's and there was a connection between OBL and Saddam as Bush stated and his minions followed suit. I expect Mr. Clark to try and implicate some in the Bush administration and the big cheese himself. It is going to be a trial to watch because I feel there will be some new legal precidents to be set but the real trial to watch is going to be the Mich. Jackson case. I wonder if the "gloved one" will be doing a jig in the courtroom decriying that" he's bad, he's bad come on yea I'm bad.... so on...

[edit on 29-12-2004 by FLYIN HIGH]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well I will say this. If Saddam is to be tried, using a system similar to the one we value, then he does deserve to have a competant defense. Who better to provide him that defense then an American lawyer.

Unfortunately, this guy is going to have some trikes against him since he has already let it be known that he is hypercritical of the way things have been handled.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Valid point phreak_of_nature.

Knowing Mr. Clark, and defense lawyers/attorneys in general, when it is found that Saddam is guilty, on numerous accounts, he will most probably claim that he had inadequate (incompentence/incompetent) legal counsel, or will he?

seekerof

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Crap, which al jazeera is this, the .net one? Is that the fake one or the real one? Should make a difference here no?

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Crap, which al jazeera is this, the .net one? Is that the fake one or the real one? Should make a difference here no?

english.aljazeera.net is the real one. At least it is the one that is the english version that the satellite channel Al Jazeera publishes.

If it were a story of 275 US casualties in a single hour in Fallujah, and the source was Al Jazeera.com then you should worry.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I can't even imagine Saddam allowing an American attorney to tell him what to do, what to say, how to act. Saddam has a huge ego and will want to run the show the way he wants to do it, no matter what his attorney says or advises. (Admittedly, not an intellegent thing for him to do.) I'm sure he's going to treat all his attorneys as he would a yes-man in his Iraqi cabinet.

p.s. Is Clark going to get paid? How much?

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I can think of few people who have worked as tirelessly for and against the United States as Ramsey Clark.

While I take both general and specific exceptions to most of his leftist/globalist political views -- and the fact that most of his cronies and offshoot groups habitually lie about their true political affiliations and agendas, I must confess that it is gratifying to see the old guy is still running around doing what he loves to do.

And he was an important and positive figure in the American civil rights movement, for which he earns my respect, even if his motives may not have been entirely benevolent at the time. It was and is a good cause.

As for Saddam worrying about Mr. Clark being an "American", I think the man's resume speaks for itself.

Saddam is in good hands, and can expect far more equitable treatment than he ever begrudged the hundreds of thousands of people he had murdered, tortured, mutilated and raped.

new topics

top topics

join