It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

T-X getting interesting

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I was only thinking in terms of how "exotic" the platforms that this aircraft will be training pilots for are.

These other trainers seem alright for training European or Korean pilots to fly 4th gen aircraft, just as the T-33 was fine to train pilots to fly 1st and 2nd gen fighters, the Fougas, Provosts, etc were fine to train pilots to fly Mirages/Buccaneers/Jaguars, and the Hawks/Alpha Jets were fine to train pilots for Tornadoes and Typhoons.

I understand that the USAF is crunched for cash, and while simulators can help a bit, it just seems like there's a huge technology/complexity gap between the T-X contenders we've seen so far and the 5th (and 6th) generation aircraft that they will be training pilots for.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

And the only truly exotic part is the cockpit. The biggest change is the sensor system. The cockpit of the T-X will reflect that.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I was also thinking in terms of the F-35's unique handling and throttle response due to it's single gigantic engine.

The F-35 almost comes across like a 21st century F-105, though now that I think of it, that's pretty much exactly what it is.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I'd put it closer to an A-7. With an integrated cloaking device.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

All of which will be learned in the simulator and aircraft. That's basic aerodynamics. Learning to deal with the sensor fusion will be much harder.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

So I guess the question now will be an accompanying "TQ-X" to help train young pilots about how to queue up and control a complementary UAV under various circumstances :p

I could imagine that something like a pilotless T-37 would be perfect!

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Textron says 'no' to making a clean sheet T-X. IF the USAF decides to change the requirements, they'll compete the Scorpion, otherwise the cost of developing a clean sheet design is too much at this point.

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Told you they wouldn't.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Yup. I have to wonder if they are actually reading the board here. Timing of our convos and the articles that seem to follow is awfully interesting at times.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

You finally noticed that? A couple of us have been laughing about that for awhile now.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Only been here 6 months...

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Stupid crazy thought for those watching us:

Mitsubishi ought to team with General Dynamics to offer the X-2 as a trainer.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Naaah that would be too easy for them..

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Probably dump the thrust vectoring, but...

yeah. Building 300 odd for the US Air Force would make for a great practice run for Mitsubishi.

That's 3 1/2 times as much as what they did for the F-2.

I realize almost all would be built in the US, but the tech dev would be paid for...and I bet pieces could be built some here and some there as a swap...

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I like this idea way, way too much.

It works on so many levels, i mean the X-2 even LOOKS a lot like a twin-tailed stealthified T-38...

And I'd also wager than even with (especially with the thrust vectoring) it's a much better flying introduction to a 5th (and more importantly, a 6th) generation fighter than the other glorified Hawks and Alpha Jets that they're considering.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I know. It fits a bit too well.

Alas, probably not going to happen.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The AF has said requirements are largely frozen at this point.

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

And they might want a derivative of the T-X (called AT-X) for the A-10 replacement.

Textron has gotta be smacking their forehead right now.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I still don't get why they don't relinquish the CAS role to the army. A relatively inexpensive Scorpion-style platform designed as a jet-powered OV-10-on-steroids would be a fantastic addition to the helos, and could well come out without any of the burdens the USAF brass might place on it to sex it up in the RFP process.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join