It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Analysts See Shift in Bin Ladens Rhetoric

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Intelligence analysis have noticed a shift in tactics of Osama Bin Laden. The biggest change is now focusing on trying to isolate the United States from its allies by driving a wedge between them. While previous tapes called for outright violence, new tapes seem geared for exploiting lingering animosity over U.S. Middle East policy.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - U.S. intelligence analysts believe Osama bin Laden has shifted from outright calls for violence to political arguments in recent taped messages in hopes of driving a wedge between the United States and its allies, officials said Tuesday.

The analysts believe bin Laden is making the tactical shift to try to exploit some allies' concerns with U.S. policy in the Middle East and to attract more moderate Muslims who distrust the United States but have not embraced al-Qaida's violence, the officials said.

One U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the CIA's technical analysis of a two-minute, five-second tape that surfaced Monday concluded with "moderate confidence" that the voice is likely bin Laden's.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Bin Laden is a thug, but he is not a stupid one. I think the lesson they learned in Spain was that if they can affect relations between the U.S. and other countries they have a much better chance than outright, direct confrontation. I think Bin Laden seriously misjudged the response he received after 911 and now is shifting tactics to regain the initiative.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
A lot of Al Qaeda's traditional sources of funding have dried up due to law enforcement efforts, crackdowns on Islamic charities that fund terrorism and a general distaste among moderate Muslims for terrorist tactics.

I speculate that Al Qaeda is in the final stages of executing another attack on an even grander scale than 9-11.

They will want to posture themselves as best they can to reap fresh funding in the wake of the attack. An important element of that strategy will be convincing moderates that it is worth the risk to support Al Qaeda.

Either that, or they have already been effectively de-fanged and are just playing their fame for what its worth before they fade away.

But I don't think they're done yet. Not by a long shot.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I know it's silver lining thinking but could it be that Bin Ladin is attempting to pull a Arafat - terrorist to political leader? Easier to stir the pot at home than abroad. In addition to rhetoric, look at the simple changes in his appearance during the last couple of videos. No more fatigues, no guns.

Let's hope his days are numbered.

B.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
I speculate that Al Qaeda is in the final stages of executing another attack on an even grander scale than 9-11.

They will want to posture themselves as best they can to reap fresh funding in the wake of the attack. An important element of that strategy will be convincing moderates that it is worth the risk to support Al Qaeda.

That sounds like a PBS telethon. Hmmm. I wonder if anyone ever checked out that connection. Bill Moyers, bin Laden, Bill Moyers, bin Laden? Naaah.

top topics

join