It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White British Male Soul Singer. Who Was Or Is The Best ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
There have been very few white male soul singers from The U.K. It got me thinking, from the few there have been, who was the better? The main contenders in my opinion would be: Steve Marriott, Tom Jones, Joe Cocker, Long John Baldry, Eric Burden, Chris Farlowe, and maybe Mick Hucknall.

However my personal choice would be Steve Winwood. I have linked a video of a performance by Steve with The Spencer Davis Group when he was aged 19.

What would be your personal choice ? If you had one of course.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Paul Rodgers, David Coverdale. Ian Gillan...when he had a voice.

More blues than soul, but they had it.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
...Glenn Hughes...

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Interesting question. Winwood's good. Cool story too. He had to play keyboard from the kitchen before he was of age to play in bars. Kinds hard to debate Cocker though. Dude was made of soul.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Tom Jones.

There, said it.

Without doubt, the greatest of all the white soul singers.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Adam Faith, Cliff Richard, Wayne Fontana, Bryan Ferry, David Bowie

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Mick Hucknell(?) Simply Red!

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
My fav. singer of all time is a Brit(kinda). Soul? Sometimes actually. He was that damn good.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Margaret Thatcher gets my vote.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
John Mayall, more blues than soul I suppose, but he is just brilliant.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Those other people you named are really good an' all, but for this title there is only one real contender:

edit on 25/7/15 by Astyanax because: wrong video

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Joe Cocker is the real item but a bit melodramatic for my taste. Mick Hucknall 'not too shabby' as Ron Wood says, and Ronnie played behind Rod so his opinion really counts. Winwood is just a great all-round singer, he can do blue-eyed soul, but what he does best is Stevie Winwood. Same goes for Bowie, in spades.

Rod was always a soul singer, never really wanted to be anything else. And what was he before? A gravedigger. For me that pretty much punches the ticket.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Bit late to the party here but I would like to offer Michael McDonald wonderful and our own although not so well known Peter Cox better perhaps known as the lead singer of Go West. Listen to him and you will see what I mean.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Robert Plant is the best 'white British Male Soul singer' I can think of. His voice had soul even if he didn't sing many soul songs. If he'd wandered away from the blues and rock music, he could have ripped a ballad like Otis Redding did.

Right now, Paulo Nutini is someone whose music and singing puts him up there as a modern soul voice.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
For me it's Eric Burdon and I cant think of a better blues song which shows off his voice then The Animals version of House Of the Rising Sun.

top topics

join