It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bakers Ordered to Pay $135,000 for Refusing Gay Wedding Service

page: 23
<< 20  21  22   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

And i'm Ok with Straight rights as long as they don't affect me.. or i'm Ok with religious rights as long as they don't affect me... kind of like deny services

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: timequake
The truth is always objective. Otherwise it wouldn't be true. If two premises are held to be true, yet they contradict one another, then one or both of the premises is false.

The truth may very well BE objective, but we have no way of ever knowing the absolute truth in any given situation. At least, not yet.

Laws can hold no real authority if they are held to be subjective. It would be too fluid, and it would therefore have no form or substance. it would become very difficult to predict what a law meant because it would arbitrarily change based on random whims. Rights, for example are not subjective, but objective. Otherwise, they wouldn't be rights but privileges granted by the subjective whims of the majority. Subjective reasoning is what allowed the "home of the free" to be free and yet own slaves at the same time.

Yes, many laws DO have to be objective. Many times this is achieved by drawing an arbitrary line somewhere and saying, "HERE, this is where we make the distinction over this issue." Then, because it as an arbitrary mark, some other group may come along later and argue that it should be somewhere else. It is up to as a society to take in those arguments and accept or reject them. But because the marker is arbitrary to begin with, all it takes is enough agreement to move it.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: TheBulk

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: TheBulk

edit on 15-7-2015 by F4guy because: because I still haven't learned how to delete part of quotes.

<< 20  21  22   >>

join