It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cutting Down The Flag Isn't What It Used To Be

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Look at this. Plenty of climbing gear and a slow ascent.

When JB climbed the flagpole in Newry on market day and cut down the Union Jack he didn't use any climbing gear. He was 14 at the time and a champion runner, I guess he had a fitness advantage there.

Everyone fell silent as he shinned up the pole. He cut the flag free and shinned back down. The moment his feet touched the ground a big riot kicked off.

I'm not taking sides in any of this. Cutting down the flag is a time honoured way to make your point.

I just want to say this is what we over here call Health and Safety gone mad. If you're going to cut down the flag just shin up there and do it. If you're able.

Never mind the prepared speeches, the symbolism speaks for you.
edit on 27 6 2015 by Kester because: (no reason given)

edit on 27 6 2015 by Kester because: change word

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

.....Too stupid to use the lines to lower the flag or?

That about sums up my thoughts on all this flag nonsense......
edit on 6/27/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

There are no lines, the flag is attached to the pole itself.

I'm only surprised it took this long for it to happen.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

The moment his feet touched the ground a big riot kicked off.

Shows the level of indoctrination into everyones mind the importance of a piece of colored cloth.

Should be a wake up call.

We don't have to be for or against a flag.

just remain human.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Shows the level of indoctrination into everyones mind the importance of a piece of colored cloth.

Fairly hypocritical considering everyones hyping up the importance to BAN it........
edit on 6/27/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

He always told me he had nothing against a British soldier, as long as they hadn't killed one of his fellow Irishmen. He even took beer to young British soldiers in the hot summer of '76 when they'd be stuck in a fortified checkpoint for hours on end, fresh out of school and terrified. He investigated the land deals that seemed to be behind much of the trouble. He knew he'd got too close to the truth when two men came into the pub to shoot him and his cousin. His cousin threw a table at them and he and his cousin fled. After that he came here and only went back to testify against the pedophile group who took advantage of him and many others. One of the group was a solicitor. JB sent him a Christmas card every year saying, 'We haven't forgotten you'. After all that and much, much more he remained more or less human.

I don't know why I feel compelled to talk about him. I suspect I'll hear soon he's finally passed away. He's had a rough life.

Some things he told me really opened my eyes.
Some of the leaders of the supposedly warring factions would meet to plan the next atrocities and discuss how they'd share the power over the general population.
The super powerful electronic eavesdropping devices used in South Armagh have led to a cancer epidemic in the targeted people.
Artificially stimulated political strife is used to create conditions suitable for research and development and real world training.

edit on 27 6 2015 by Kester because: change wording

edit on 27 6 2015 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
We have a heroine now.
She'll be on Jon Stewart next week.
In fact, she'll make lots of money doing the talk circuit.
A bona fide justice warrior this one.

That big bad flag won't be scaring anybody now.

It's HISTORY, as such it belongs on State grounds.

This is how the 1st Amendment rolls in to the grave.
edit on 27-6-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I'd be more impressed if she put on a show like this, flag or no flag. Skip to 1:00 for the action.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I admire her. Unfortunately a new one went right up and she's facing 3 years in jail and a 5,000 dollar fine.

a reply to: Asktheanimals

It's HISTORY, as such it belongs on State grounds.

It's HISTORY, as such it belongs, displayed in a nice glass case in a museum. With it's history both in the Civil War and the Civil Rights Movement written on a nice big plaque lest anyone forget what some people are willing to do to others in the name of freedom and states rights.

Display it on your private property if you're so proud of it.

This is how the 1st Amendment rolls in to the grave.

How is what she did a threat to the 1st Amendment?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Sherri Iacobelli, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Public Safety, said that Newsome, and a companion, James Ian Tyson, 30, both from Charlotte, were charged with defacing monuments on state Capitol grounds. The misdemeanor charge carries a fine of up to $5,000 and a prison term of up to three years or both.
www.usatoday.com...

They both face some penalty but surely not the maximum.
edit on 27 6 2015 by Kester because: remove word

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Looks like she wanted her 1st Amendment rights but not somebody else's.

She should have used a bullhorn and a pedestal.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Again... how does removing it from state grounds, state grounds that belong equally to the people of South Carolina despite what that flag implies, threaten your freedom to display it on your body or your property?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Why not the maximum?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Regardless of the issue at hand the maximum penalty for what is, in effect, little more than a prank, would create outrage amongst the civilised nations. Or is outrage and conflict the desired outcome?

top topics

join