It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I'm Offended That Everyone Is Offended By Something": Vet's Epic Post On Political Correctness

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JeanPaul

originally posted by: Phallacy
a reply to: ketsuko

That's how I saw it too until I actually read the material my WP friends kept suggesting I read like "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack." It's about the everyday experience (and its compounding effects) of being a skin color that's generally treated as an underclass (albeit often unintentionally). Quick except:

1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.
2. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my kind or me.
3. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.
4. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.
5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.
6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.
7. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.
8. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.
9. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.

Bollocks. Privilege theory is bollocks. You know not what you defend.

I'm not defending it so much as explaining what the argument actually entails. Strawmanning or calling bollocks doesn't change anything. The fact remains, that the WP argument and what those who are "offended" by the notion THINK it is are 2 different things.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: JeanPaul

Gee, hate the military much? Unbelievable.

You have your freedoms because of the sacrifice made by members of the armed forces. It's too bad you're so bitter and angry.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD

You have your freedoms because of the sacrifice made by members of the armed forces. It's too bad you're so bitter and angry.

My freedoms? From which war? Carpet bombing Vietnam? Overthrowing the democratically elected gov of Iran? Drone bombing 5 different nations in the last 10 years?

Maybe my "freedoms" have been given to me as a result of the war waged on the Philippines? Maybe Nicaragua? Perhaps the villagers in Afghanistan planned on tearing up the constitution?

Our "freedoms" are under threat by the very entities the troops represent. Our ability to make a living is under attack as well. "The troops", as well meaning as some may be, some, work for the Pentagon. The Pentagon works for Wall St.

The last "good war" was WW2 against Hitler and even that situation was created by various bankers and industrialists. The whole system is backwards and broken. Left and right. So called liberal and conservative voters have been bamboozled.

A paradigm shift is needed. One in which the population stops acting like a bunch of dullards. A tad bit of unity against the corporate aristocracy would be nice. A bit of realism. A sort of factual assessment of things, without the lame fixation on identity politics.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I'm offended by people who want everything so *prim & proper & perfect* all the time.

Who died and left them king anyway?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

And just who the Hell do you think should solve all that?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Theres a nice middle ground where the ultra leftist hordes dont accuse everyone thay disagrees with them of being racist or a bigot, and the far right doesnt ignore that racism exists or try to make everyone conform to their religion.

Funny thing is as a libertarian, the ultra left accuses you of being a bigot and the ultra right accuses you of being a commie. Basically everyone hates you, and they all lob insults that are unfounded.

And all libertarians ever actually wanted was liberty for all.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499
yes really

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
As I expected, looks like quite a few got their wittle feewings hurt because someone dared to speak out against their PC bulls**t. That whole Freedom of Speech thingy is great, till someone says something they don't like.
Who didn't that one coming? ...........Anyone?

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

That's how I saw it too until I actually read the material my WP friends kept suggesting I read like "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack." It's about the everyday experience (and its compounding effects) of being a skin color that's generally treated as an underclass (albeit often unintentionally). Quick except:

1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.
2. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my kind or me.
3. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.
4. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.
5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.
6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.
7. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.
8. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.
9. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.

Bollocks. Privilege theory is bollocks. You know not what you defend.

I'm not defending it so much as explaining what the argument actually entails. Strawmanning or calling bollocks doesn't change anything. The fact remains, that the WP argument and what those who are "offended" by the notion THINK it is are 2 different things.

Privilege theory is in fact nonsense. Heck, since you used her as an example, do you even know what Peggy McIntosh's views are? Expanding to include all the various nonsensical arguments surrounding "the patriarchy".

Anyhow, the list:

1.I live in Oakland, black people here are in the company of other black people 24/7.
2.Nonsensical
3.Nonsense. There are millions of working poor white people in debt, people who don't qualify for home loans and cant just move wherever they want. Peggy McIntosh is projecting her own experience, as is the case with most of these privileged middle/upper middle class professors (usually in women's studies, sociology or critical race theory classes). People who ignore the white working class experience in America.
4.Connected to 3.
5.Yes, black people are looked upon as potential thieves more so than middle class white people. That's because black people do in fact commit a disproportionate amount of property crimes and robberies. Now, we can objectively point to the fact that racism has in fact kept black people from accumulating generational wealth (which leads to generational poverty, which leads to higher crime rates) but there's a reason store clerks watch black people closer and that's because they steal more than middle class whites such as Peggy McIntosh.
6.There's a "BET" network for black people but yes, they have been underrepresented in TV programs/films etc. Part of the issue, as far as TV programs are concerned, is that black people have created a sort of counterculture, one in which most white people do not relate to. It's a matter of ratings/advertizing/profits. If America would tune into the sort of shows on BET en mas then they would be televised en mass. Generally speaking, since the mid 1990's, TV and film has become much more inclusive.As demographics change so to will TV programs, film, media etc but lets not forget, America was founded by white people. Mostly x British and over time western Europe in general as a product of the Enlightenment. America wasn't founded by the Ottoman Empire. It wasn't founded by tribes in Africa. It wasn't founded by aborigines in Australia, New Zealand or even Native Americans. The USA was the bi product of hundreds of years of western white culture. This is a fact. For better or worse.
7.Touched upon in 6 but it's historical fact that the Enlightenment period was a western European phenomenon. You can't wish this away with hurt feelings. The modern capitalist system, liberal democracy, was in fact a bi product of The Enlightenment.
8.I clearly remember learning about African American inventors and such in grade/high school. The end of slavery, civil rights movement etc. At the University level various courses go into detail, including critical race theory, critical pedagogy, American history, colonial history etc. Frederick Douglass, Frantz Fanon, Langston Hughes, Ralph Ellison, W. E. B. Du Bois etc is on most college students reading lists. This should be transferred into high school curriculum but a lot of it is rather complicated and perhaps "controversial" but many teachers at the high school level have introduced a sort of critical race theory into the classroom. I'm aware the general curriculum leaves out too much information. It does in fact "white wash" American history. What we truly did to Native Americans, what sort of long term impact slavery/racism has placed on black community etc. This isn't some "white privilege" experienced by working class white American who are living paycheck to paycheck. It's the term "privilege" I disagree with.
9.Ya, because Peggy McIntosh was born into privilege and holds a tenured position at Wellesley College. There are millions of white people who can't just write something and have it published. More of her projecting her own privilege onto millions of white people.

edit- typo
edit on 28-6-2015 by JeanPaul because: typo

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Your list of "white privilege" addressed in the above post:

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

I think it's important to add that is the same thing we see in every social and political arena. It certainly isn't exclusive to Libertarians, and is the basis behind divide and conquer tactics.

I really think that people who are caught in such paradigms are not aware that there aren't just two sides. Especially when those sides are defined in whatever way makes it easier to dismiss altogether. At that point, the only reason conversations take place is for each side to find new reasons to generalize and dismiss. It starts to create a cycle and habit that is very, very difficult to break and very, very easy to manipulate.

Overall though, it does seem people are really getting tired of the PC stuff, which makes them ignore valid points that may be contained within. But then, the extraneous trappings becomes more and more extreme to compensate, eventually leading to resentment.

I think any solutions that might lead to improvement require change though. And for as much as we all say we want that, what we do on a daily basis contradicts that. However, in a society where what we say is vastly more important than what we do, such behavior is right in line with the norm.

(post by cnmcdee77 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
"Well the soldiers that get paid the same as fast food workers have their housing and food paid for by the military, so that point is not correct."- IAMTAT

Soldiers/Marines/Sailors/Airmen don't get paid the same as minimum wage fast food employee. The Service Members get paid ALOT less, even if you include BAS (Basic Allowance for Sustenance) and BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing).

An E1 (starting pay grade) Base pay is $18,378.00 a year. BAS is $200.00 a month and BAH depends on your area (in my area it is $1185 a month, which would get you a very small run down one bedroom apartment). So all totaled that is $2916.50 a month.
Now let us break that down per hour, that way we can compare apples to apples. $2916.50 ÷730( the hours in a month) that is $3.99 an hour. Fast food employees get, at least, Federal Minimum Wage $7.25. That is $3.26 more than our Service member.

As for the free health care, Fast food employees have that as well. It is Federal law that hospital's Emergency Rooms MUST treat everyone who approaches them REGARDLESS of that persons ability to pay.

So to say that your average fast food worker gets paid the same as a Soldier is not even close to correct. Thanks for playing, tell them what prize they won Don Pardo......

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSemiSkeptic
"Well the soldiers that get paid the same as fast food workers have their housing and food paid for by the military, so that point is not correct."- IAMTAT

Soldiers/Marines/Sailors/Airmen don't get paid the same as minimum wage fast food employee. The Service Members get paid ALOT less, even if you include BAS (Basic Allowance for Sustenance) and BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing).

An E1 (starting pay grade) Base pay is $18,378.00 a year. BAS is $200.00 a month and BAH depends on your area (in my area it is $1185 a month, which would get you a very small run down one bedroom apartment). So all totaled that is $2916.50 a month.
Now let us break that down per hour, that way we can compare apples to apples. $2916.50 ÷730( the hours in a month) that is $3.99 an hour. Fast food employees get, at least, Federal Minimum Wage $7.25. That is $3.26 more than our Service member.

As for the free health care, Fast food employees have that as well. It is Federal law that hospital's Emergency Rooms MUST treat everyone who approaches them REGARDLESS of that persons ability to pay.

So to say that your average fast food worker gets paid the same as a Soldier is not even close to correct. Thanks for playing, tell them what prize they won Don Pardo......

Your math is propagandized. 40 hour work weeks for fast food workers produce 160 work hours per month if there's 4 weeks in the month.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Your math is propagandized. 40 hour work weeks for fast food workers produce 160 work hours per month if there's 4 weeks in the month.

No it is not. Service Members are on duty 24 hours a day.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD

My freedoms? From which war? Carpet bombing Vietnam? Overthrowing the democratically elected gov of Iran? Drone bombing 5 different nations in the last 10 years?

Maybe my "freedoms" have been given to me as a result of the war waged on the Philippines? Maybe Nicaragua? Perhaps the villagers in Afghanistan planned on tearing up the constitution?

Our "freedoms" are under threat by the very entities the troops represent. Our ability to make a living is under attack as well. "The troops", as well meaning as some may be, some, work for the Pentagon. The Pentagon works for Wall St.

The last "good war" was WW2 against Hitler and even that situation was created by various bankers and industrialists. The whole system is backwards and broken. Left and right. So called liberal and conservative voters have been bamboozled.

A paradigm shift is needed. One in which the population stops acting like a bunch of dullards. A tad bit of unity against the corporate aristocracy would be nice. A bit of realism. A sort of factual assessment of things, without the lame fixation on identity politics.

I believe we call that a revolution, and unless its carried out by the aristocracy, it usually does not end well.....

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I’m offended that people assume I’m racist because I believe in economic development by way of Capitalism and a free-market economy.

And I'm offended by stupid believe-systems. Should I write a rant now myself?
Yeah, maybe.

Let's take a look at his 'free' markets:

So the next time someone tells you to believe in "free" markets, just tell them you'll believe as soon as they do.

When pigs fly.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Pigs fly low this time of the year, don't they?

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion
a reply to: IAMTAT

I’m offended that people assume I’m racist because I believe in economic development by way of Capitalism and a free-market economy.

And I'm offended by stupid believe-systems. Should I write a rant now myself?
Yeah, maybe.

Let's take a look at his 'free' markets:

So the next time someone tells you to believe in "free" markets, just tell them you'll believe as soon as they do.

When pigs fly.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Pigs fly low this time of the year, don't they?

No one argues that the free market is good for businesses. They argue that it is great for the consumers because competition creates lower prices therefore goods and services are affordable by everyone.
Of course businesses want to 'corner the market', so that they can control the price not competition. That is what anti trust laws are for.
Do not confuse captiolism, AKA the free market, with cronyism, which is what you see in America these days. The corporations have enough money to buy, or create, crooked politicians and get the laws changed to the corporations favor (which by the way was the point of Atlas Shrugged).
You want to complain about how things are in America, that's great. Just make sure you are complaining about the right thing. Cronyism.
edit on 30-6-2015 by TheSemiSkeptic because: Spelling error, or is that fat fingers and smartphone keyboard error

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSemiSkeptic

Don't tell me what I have to do, this is not my brainchild. It never was and it never will be.

I’m offended that people who are too afraid to ask for food stamps, disability, or unemployment (because they don’t want a handout) are probably the ones who could use it most, yet the majority of recipients who do in fact receive handouts abuse their “privilege” and continue to make frivolous purchases.

washingtonweeklynews.com... n-uber-politically-correct-america/

Cronyism you say? Nope. You've just seen the next lines after his free-marked preaching. He never did, I guess.

The majority abuses food-stamps? Hahaha! I really love this guy, think he would make a good brave-new-worldish soldier. Guess he will never question authority. Good for him, the Police-State and my bad humor. A win-win-win situation.

Wet dreams about free markets, that are nearly nowhere to be seen (thanks to all the cronyism and usual corruption/ lobbying etc.), and some single-minded rabulistic BS regarding his 'majority' of people who have the 'honour' to life from food-stamps.

Awesome!

What's next, more satirical reality to keep me laughing my ass off?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join