It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Summer Jam concert erupts into chaos as agitated crowds try to get in

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
This is being carried by CNN.

A hip-hop and R&B concert in New Jersey erupted into chaos Sunday night when police in riot gear tried to contain agitated crowds. The melee started when attendees tried to forcefully enter the Summer Jam concert at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, authorities said. "Security personnel at one of the entrance gates ... were confronted by crowds attempting to illegally enter the sold out Summer Jam concert by climbing over fences and forcing their way through security personnel," New Jersey State Police said. Troopers on site asked for extra backup to help maintain order, Sgt. Gregory Williams said. Witnesses said authorities arrived in riot gear. "We have the riot gear all the time and we were ready in case something was to happen and we had to use it," he said.

I didn't hear much about this on the radio this morning. It looks like they tore things up there.
Hopefully it doesn't blossom into anything worse.
edit on b000000302015-06-08T09:27:03-05:0009America/ChicagoMon, 08 Jun 2015 09:27:03 -0500900000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
This is being carried by CNN.

A hip-hop and R&B concert in New Jersey erupted into chaos Sunday night when police in riot gear tried to contain agitated crowds. The melee started when attendees tried to forcefully enter the Summer Jam concert at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, authorities said. "Security personnel at one of the entrance gates ... were confronted by crowds attempting to illegally enter the sold out Summer Jam concert by climbing over fences and forcing their way through security personnel," New Jersey State Police said. Troopers on site asked for extra backup to help maintain order, Sgt. Gregory Williams said. Witnesses said authorities arrived in riot gear. "We have the riot gear all the time and we were ready in case something was to happen and we had to use it," he said.

I didn't hear much about this on the radio this morning. It looks like they tore things up there.

Sounds like nothing major happened and it was more the fault of the venue, if what the interviewees said is to be believed. I have trouble believing them though, since this is a huge venue that has had MANY events of this type before. They know how to handle security and let people in.

I am getting a vibe of a lot of fake tickets were being used to try to get in and people were agitated thinking they had a real ticket when they didn't. They were upset because they couldn't get in so they decided making a scene was better. I have a hard time thinking this was the fault of the venue.....and it seems like the police did their job and nobody was hurt.

Looks like the people that got out of hand there sure tore the place up though.
edit on 6/8/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The DJ's at the sponsoring radio station are blaming the fans:

Hot 97 DJs on Monday morning condemned music fans who climbed over fences and hurled bottles at police outside the sold-out Summer Jam concert at MetLife Stadium Sunday night. “You can’t just jump the fence and then get mad and throw bottles,” said Ebro, of the “Ebro in the Morning” show on his morning broadcast.

The DJs said most fans inside the stadium enjoyed the concert and didn’t have any problems with authorities. State Police said crowds tried to illegally enter the sold-out concert by climbing over fences and forcing their way through security personnel. Troopers in riot gear called in two Bearcat armored personnel carriers and shot streams of pepper spray gas as angry concertgoers hurled bottles, according to reports from the scene. Information about the number of arrests and injuries was not available Monday morning. Debris littered the ground outside the stadium Monday morning, including food, bottles, cups, broken glass, charcoal and ashes.

NorthJersey.com

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

There can only ever be one Woodstock...

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Act like an animal, get treated like one. It's the law of the jungle.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

I doubt it will. There is not much coverage here and the Meadowlands is a bit isolated with it being in between several main highways with almost no pedestrian access.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

See, this is why my wife and I are hermits. You get a lot of people around each other, mix in alcohol, and stupid # like this happens. Something stupid always happens at large events with people. It's like a shirt my friend used to have said....."Never underestimate stupid people in large numbers." :

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Too many people used to too much free stuff and can't imagine why they couldn't just go in ???

link   
a reply to: Necrobile
Yeah, I hear you.
I don't even like to go to amusement parks because of the ill-mannered crowds.

link   
I heard that people that had already paid for tickets and were in line were not being allowed in, they apparently over sold it....promoters are the ones guilty here. however, doing damage to the venue was completely uncalled for.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

They were invited to the pool party and waited patiently in line like good little boys and girls.

The mean parents started throwing racial slurs and pulling hair then the cops came and violated their .....

Wait a minute. Wrong story.

Carry on.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
I heard that people that had already paid for tickets and were in line were not being allowed in, they apparently over sold it....promoters are the ones guilty here. however, doing damage to the venue was completely uncalled for.

Another story from people that didn't get in was that the security people were moving too slow to suit the people in line.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lurker1

Act like an animal, get treated like one. It's the law of the jungle.

Quoted for truth.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Another story from people that didn't get in was that the security people were moving too slow to suit the people in line.

You mean they were entitled to faster security?

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

weapon checks probably...I bet they do not do that for an symphony concert at the Lincoln center...to me, if I were to go (and I wouldn't) I would want the extra security checks. everybody is getting too enraged, too fast, these days. chill, people, chill.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

I would want the extra security checks. everybody is getting too enraged, too fast, these days. chill, people, chill.

Agreed!

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

There can only ever be one Woodstock...

But there can be lots of Altamont's.

Also, there is usually always trouble on some scale at hip hop shows. Life imitates "art".
Funny that at rock shows these days, you'll find a very chill audience that just wants to have a good time.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Never underestimate what greed can do...

I wouldn't be surprised that it is true. But young people today need to learn to deal with disappointment in non violent ways. One person's rights don't trump others.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

I'm stuck in the 70s, musically speaking. I wouldn't know a single hip-hop song. And I am totally good with that!

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Excessive violence at the rap concerts is common place.
This one was a bit bigger.

new topics

top topics

join