It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real life drama in my garden

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It started yesterday morning when I noticed a bird sat in the bush by my back door , I stood looking at it , looking at me when I realised it had no tail feathers , it was a chick.
Over the last few days we've had unseasonably strong winds so my assumption is the young guy has fallen from his nest in the trees not far from my house , he must have made his way into my garden for shelter , I keep the edges and end of the garden wild at this time of year for birds and insects.

At first I was quite concerned as the little bloke isn't old enough to find food for himself so I started mulling over what to do , until I noticed a brown bird on my fence with a beak full of food which proceeded to drop down and feed the chick .... his parents know where he is , relief.

So , he has his parents feeding him and me sat at my computer by the window riding shotgun looking out for incursions by local felines , I'm not a cat person so have made it clear to them in the past they're not welcome , hopefully they will continue to give my garden a wide berth.

It's like having a real time wildlife docudrama unfolding in my garden , I hope the good weather continues and the little bloke survives to grow his tail feathers and escape to freedom ... only time will tell.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Lots of baby birds being blown out of trees around my place too. I have already picked up and put 3 near their nest. Could be they are trying to develop their wings though and I'm just pissing them off...

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

When I saw his parents knew where he was and that he wasn't going to starve I decided to let nature take its course , although I will keep my eye out for cats.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

A few years ago a young robin took an interest in me while I weeded and set out seedlings. Finding a big fat worm during my work I tossed it in the direction of the chick. He did that cocking of the head sideways glance then hopped out from under the bush he was under and ate the worm. Well that thrilled me so I dug up another and threw it towards him. Another look and hop hop he got the second worm. I threw a few more during my mornings work then had to leave. The next morning in another section of the yard I'm wedding and looky here. My friend has returned. Ok here are a few more worms for you. It went on for weeks. The next year here is this straping robin with a big black poof on his head and broad rust colored breast sitting in the dogwood tree watching me. Just for fun I threw a worm out on the lawn and that big boy flew down and swooped it up then stayed right there on the lawn not ten feet from me waiting for more. I'm certain it was the same bird.
edit on 672015 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

I found an infant squirrel once after a hurricane but it didn't survive.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

That's why I keep my cats indoors. Well that and cars and fleas and stray dogs. But mostly to protect young birds. And I have a keet my cats love to watch!

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I bet my cat would have it!!! he isn't normally a bird person but we could have a bet
All joking aside when I was around 6 I found a baby bird and it was in the road and I fed it mashed up worms and it started growing feathers and everything but it died
oh I was heartbroken..my whole family was...poor likkle Horace
You stand guard and help that little bird!! my cat has given the word out it is not to be touched.
(My Cat is like the Godfather of Cats).

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I hope that your little friend does well and that the cats stay away. Are there any snakes in your area? That's something else to worry about.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I think my misfortune may be his good luck , until earlier this year the land behind my fence was scrub so I guess yeah snakes , now it's a building site as the drive for new houses continues apace here so snakes I guess probably less of a risk , although they are quite common here.

edit on 7-6-2015 by gortex because: spelling again !!

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
If the bird is recently fledged it won't be able to fly far and still looks quite underdeveloped. The conventional advice is that you should leave it alone as the parents are probably still feeding it. Interference may result in the parents abandoning the poor blighter.

oh, and on cats. They should be shot if the owner has not stuck a collar and "warning" bell, so that their hunting of animals is compromised. Just my view. In the UK millions of animals are killed by cats. Shooting them may be a bit harsh, but you get my drift!

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

You might get a bird house. Only, instead of putting it on a pole, put it on or near the ground so the bird can go in. Hopefully it recognizes it as shelter.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
lol the title reminded me of

edit on 7-6-2015 by MimiSia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Good luck baby birdie! I'm so glad the parents found and are feeding him and that you are looking over him.

top topics

join