It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damaged F-35 likely to be stripped for parts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Damaged F-35 likely to be stripped for parts

Damaged iPhone likely to be stripped for parts

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
it's amazing how the team NG ended up saving a B-2 with a similar fire that was even bigger than this one.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeOwnTheNight

"With only 20 B-2s — as precious as those aircraft are — no one even questioned whether or not we'd make the investment," said Norton A. Schwartz, a retired four-star general who served as Air Force chief of staff at the time of the incident.

I'd imagine if the lines were still open for the B-2 at the time of that fire they would not have undertaken such a task. Although that is pure speculation on my part, but considering the low production numbers of the B-2, it makes sense considering how long they plan on keeping them around

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DaMac

originally posted by: WeOwnTheNight

"With only 20 B-2s — as precious as those aircraft are — no one even questioned whether or not we'd make the investment," said Norton A. Schwartz, a retired four-star general who served as Air Force chief of staff at the time of the incident.

I'd imagine if the lines were still open for the B-2 at the time of that fire they would not have undertaken such a task. Although that is pure speculation on my part, but considering the low production numbers of the B-2, it makes sense considering how long they plan on keeping them around

Yea you're right...my father ran B-2 prod ops at the time and traveled back and forth to Guam a lot over a few years. It was an amazing accomplishment...a lot of pride when that bird landed back at Palmdale.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I know.

But it's such a shame to see that much of the plane go to waste.

Hopefully they can recycle that back into a useable plane.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

The engine failed when the third-stage forward integral arm of a rotor fractured and liberated during takeoff,” AETC says in an announcement. “Pieces of the failed rotor arm cut through the engine’s fan case, the engine bay, an internal fuel tank and hydraulic and fuel lines before exiting through the aircraft’s upper fuselage.” Leaking fuel and hydraulic fluid ignited and burned the “rear two thirds of the aircraft,” the announcement says. Friction caused the integral arm in the third-stage rotor to break.

I do not want to be in the way of that projectile for sure!
They already have a fix it seems.

The fix from Pratt is to “pre-trench” the polyimide foam lining between the stators and knife-edge seal forward of the third-stage integrally bladed rotor. The mishap occurred because of a low tolerance, causing friction.

Thought I highlight this in the thread

top topics

<< 1   >>

join