It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

92-year-old cancer survivor becomes the oldest woman to finish a marathon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
US runner Harriette Thompson only started running marathons when she was in her 70s , she has survived 3 bouts of oral cancer and lost her husband in January of this year , undaunted by age , illness and loss Harriette sealed her place in the record books and set a time of 7 hours, 7 minutes and 42 seconds , which is approximately 2 days , 7 hours quicker than I could do it.

This was her 17th Rock `n' Roll Marathon and, by far, the hardest.

"It's always harder but this year has been a bad year for me," she said, adding her husband died in January following a lingering illness and she battled a staph infection in one of her legs.

"I couldn't train very well because my husband was very ill and I had to be with him for some time and then when he died in January I had some treatments on my leg," she said. "I was just really thrilled that I could finish today."

The oldest woman to previously complete a marathon was Gladys Burrill, who was 92 years and 19 days old when she completed the 2010 Honolulu Marathon.
www.cbc.ca...

As I sit and watch my waistline grow my thoughts , best wishes and congratulations go to you Harriette , here's hoping you break your own record next year.

edit on 1-6-2015 by gortex because: edit to add pic of a very special person

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I just saw this on the news.

Awesome story, I cant imagine doing that when I was 18 let alone 90

Not to derail thread but I cant help but think,
SO MANY people that have had cancer....

1-3 men are expected to have some form of cancer.
1-5 women.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

That is outrageously hardcore!

Well done to the lady! I would echo your sentiments though. Even at my fittest I could not run that far, AT ALL! I could march it faster than most people I have ever met, but I could not do what this lady has done, and never could have. Bloody good effort!

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Heard this on radio this morning, and read article on internet. Incredible and all kudos to lady!!

I hope she serves as good example what we all should do with health and life...

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Talk about inspiring.

I have a hard enough time peeling myself off my couch

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Goes to show us that anything is possible!

top topics

join