It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Commercial air conditioning unit for sale brand-new only dropped once .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I guess this will go under a line I have been repeating . " it's going to be a long hot summer "

I mean seriously what is up with New York and cranes? I would venture to guess per capita New York has the largest percentage of crane accidents in the world ! Despite the damage it did to the side of the building and the sidewalk . The reports are that only 10 people were injured . I hope that's true if not they're going to find someone under the air conditioning unit squashed like a bug .

Are there any New Yorkers out there I would like to ask them two questions .

1: What are the normal procedures for crane operations in New York? Do they block off the street or the sidewalk?

2: If safety barriers are erected do New Yorkers even pay attention to them?

crane hauling an air conditioner into the top floor of a 30-story building dropped the heavy load Sunday morning, smashing parts of the building and injuring 10 people. Workers were loading the shipping container-sized machine into 261 Madison Ave. when a cable on the crane snapped, police sources said. The chiller sheered the building as it fell. Debris rained down on Madison Ave. around E. 38th St.

Whoops!!!

I know this could have been a very serious accident. I also realize I am being flippant with my response. Sorry about that but I'm in a good mood today so please take it easy on me if anyone replies .
edit on 31-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Not much left that looks like an air conditioner. They are basically a big empty box filled with a bunch of heavy bits.

When it fell it opened up like a pinatta spilling those dense bits like candy bouncing and scattering on the roadway below.

No wonder ten people were injured. Really lucky no one was killed.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Fortunately they were extremely lucky . In 2008 there were two accidents killing a total of nine people .
edit on 31-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

1: What are the normal procedures for crane operations in New York? Do they block off the street or the sidewalk?

Yes if they need to. It's very expensive and by the hour.

2: If safety barriers are erected do New Yorkers even pay attention to them?

Yes and hell yes.

crane hauling an air conditioner into the top floor of a 30-story building dropped the heavy load Sunday morning, smashing parts of the building and injuring 10 people. Workers were loading the shipping container-sized machine into 261 Madison Ave. when a cable on the crane snapped, police sources said. The chiller sheered the building as it fell. Debris rained down on Madison Ave. around E. 38th St.

Whoops!!!

I know this could have been a very serious accident. I also realize I am being flippant with my response. Sorry about that but I'm in a good mood today so please take it easy on me if anyone replies .

There has been non stop deconstruction and construction going onion every neighborhood every day for the past 400 years.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: FinalCountdown
Wtf above?
Stupid smart phone

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

It does not look like there was a cable on the crane that broke; it looks like poor rigging or poor rigging connections/equipment. If something on the crane had broken, the block would not still be hanging. Looks like the fault of the contractor. Wonder if it will be whitewashed…?

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: FinalCountdown

Going onion? Is autocorrect giving you headaches?

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

What a mess. I'm glad that nobody was killed.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: notmyrealname

It does not look like there was a cable on the crane that broke; it looks like poor rigging or poor rigging connections/equipment. If something on the crane had broken, the block would not still be hanging. Looks like the fault of the contractor. Wonder if it will be whitewashed…?

Speaking as a former contractor. I always had someone Certified to inspect the crane on site 10 times out of 10 they were supplied with the crane .

The contractor may be found at fault. But the fault actually lies with whoever they got the crane from.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

What a mess. I'm glad that nobody was killed.

I agree what a mess . Glad nobody got hurt badly also . It would surprise you to see what the average person does around heavy equipment . I watched on a building in Cincinnati they were crane setting glass in a skyscraper . People would break or duck right under the caution tape and walk directly beneath it because they did not want to cross the street .

top topics

join