It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Relatively New so just wanted ask a few questions?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I just noticed this little area under my profile that has little pictures, I know what the star is and the flag, but what the heck are those other things. I have 2 trophies? What for?

Also, you have a pet forum, but not anything specific for animals in general, How about an Animal Planet forum, unless the pet thing is supposed to cover all animal interests, I don't have any pets.

I, also, noticed some time I will go to a thread and there will be no way to reply, if the thread is closed, why is it still visible? Shouldn't it just be completely removed?

Also, sometimes I am not sure where to put an article, what happens to it if I put it in the wrong place?

Recently, I wrote an OP and someone went in and [snip] a word that I wrote and the word was not anything I thought was profane and it might have been a little derogatory, but it was a rant forum and I thought a little emphasis was needed. By the way the word is like when a black calls another black that n word. Of course nobody knows what color anybody is in here, so I guess i had it coming.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: spiritualKat33
The trophy and the lightning flash are both "scores" which reflect the number of posts people have made, and the number of stars and flags received.
The crucial difference is that the trophy score ("W") adds in the number of posts, and that figure keeps going up.
The lightning flash ("K") has a "divide by the number of posts" in the formula, so that figure easily gets pushed down again.
The first is supposed to mark consistent quality of threads, the second is marking consistent quality of individual posts.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

This thread will help explain the symbols.

Closed threads are left in place, and used occasionally to redirect other threads to. Only threads that have to be Trashed are removed.

If you put a thread in the wrong forum a mod will simply move it to a better place for it.

Sometimes part of your post breaks the T&C, but the rest of the post is OK. A mod will remove the portion that needs to be removed, leaving a *Snip* in its place.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

\Also, you have a pet forum, but not anything specific for animals in general, How about an Animal Planet forum, unless the pet thing is supposed to cover all animal interests, I don't have any pets.

The Pet Forum covers pretty much all animals. We have a Fragile Earth forum which can used to talk about endangered species or things of that nature.

I, also, noticed some time I will go to a thread and there will be no way to reply, if the thread is closed, why is it still visible? Shouldn't it just be completely removed?

Threads that are closed, are usually because of a few reasons:

1.Duplicate Topics
2.Members violating the T&C too many times, so we opt to keep the thread closed.

In either case, the information contained in the thread, prior to it closing, is still relevant, and it's not fair to arbitrarily delete content from ATS members, if they haven't broken the rules.

Also, sometimes I am not sure where to put an article, what happens to it if I put it in the wrong place?

One of the staff will usually move it to the right forum. You can file an alert if you notice and want it moved.

As for the snipped language, ATS has very high standards for decorum, and we don't allow that kind of language anywhere on the site.

~Tenth

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualKat33
I just noticed this little area under my profile that has little pictures, I know what the star is and the flag, but what the heck are those other things. I have 2 trophies? What for?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also, you have a pet forum, but not anything specific for animals in general, How about an Animal Planet forum, unless the pet thing is supposed to cover all animal interests, I don't have any pets.

You can post about animals there. No one minds. You can also post in general Chit Chat.

People still may want to read it.

A mod will move it and let you know.

Recently, I wrote an OP and someone went in and [snip] a word that I wrote and the word was not anything I thought was profane and it might have been a little derogatory, but it was a rant forum and I thought a little emphasis was needed. By the way the word is like when a black calls another black that n word.

There are some words that aren't permitted to be used. That's one of them.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Being new...you should read the Ts and Cs (terms and conditions you agreed to ie: rules etc)...and search around the Freshman Forum on ways to do everything: posts,avatars, links, etc!

Welcome to our Starship!

Mysterioustranger

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Thank you! And could you tell me possibly what that link button is for?

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks I will check it out.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Cute picture, I did read those and I do not recall seeing anything about the symbols in the profile, yes I did see the thing about what was not allowed and I really didn't think I was violating the t and c by using the word I did use in the context I did. But hey live and learn right?

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Thanks!

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Thank you so much!

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

You have all been so helpful, and it was rather foolish of me to not think of the reason to keep a thread readable. You are so right!

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualKat33
Thank you! And could you tell me possibly what that link button is for?

If you want to direct someone to a specific post, you can hit the link button in that post and it's address will appear in the address line at the top of your page. Then you can just copy it and paste it.
edit on 5/28/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

You know, I might just have to refamiliarizofocate myself with the T & C since we are sporting a *New Server*

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Okay I am trying a test to see if I understood you correctly, Thanks!

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

You make up words to, that is katawesome! Maybe when I read it I overlooked the part about the symbols in the profile, I too will give it another katganderization!

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

That is great! Now explain to me how I can reply to multiple posts at one time, is there an easier way than cut and pasting everyone's reply?

top topics

join