It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2015 red sprite season begins. (cool pictures)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I came across this article and found the displays gorgeous. In my years upon this planet, it never ceases to amaze me at its beauty.

SPRITE SEASON BEGINS: High above Earth in the realm of meteors and noctilucent clouds, a strange and beautiful form of lightning dances at the edge of space. Researchers call the bolts "sprites"; they are red, fleeting, and tend to come in bunches. Note to sky watchers: Sprite season is underway. Martin Popek photographed these specimens over Nydek, Czech republic, on May 13th:

source

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Oh, those are so cool! S&F for you. Thanks for posting this. I've never seen anything like this in the sky before where I live.

We sometimes get aurora borealis in the winter.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

I had heard about Sprites before but never seen them. The article says that they appear near Santa Fe New Mexico too. I would like to hear from members out that way as to whether they have seen them or photograph them.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I had the rare pleasure of seeing 2 or 3 of those a few summers ago, myself. Haven't seen them since, but I'm hoping this year will be active in my area. I love lightning.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

I had the rare pleasure of seeing 2 or 3 of those a few summers ago, myself. Haven't seen them since, but I'm hoping this year will be active in my area. I love lightning.

Haven't seen you in a while BP how's it hanging?

If you go out to find them, please take a camera with you and post some pictures.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I think if I remember correctly
one of the findings from the Nova documentary
on Sprites mentioned that they may come
down to Earths upper atmosphere.
Perhaps charging clouds etc ?
Next your local space weather forecast
Auroras w a chance of Sprites.
Why does that sound like names of special access projects ?

edit on 21-5-2015 by UnderKingsPeak because: sp

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I'm doing pretty good...sitting on some juicy predictions that I might share with ATS soon.

I saw all three sprites in one night as I was driving through a valley. It was totally unexpected, but we have some serious summer lighting storms in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Of all natural forces, lightning is by far the coolest. If I believed in reincarnation, I would want to come back as ball-lightning.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Glad to hear.

I actually saw ball lighting once. I was young visiting family in the country it floated over the tobacco field through a closed window into the kitchen. In the middle of the kitchen it popped like a incandescent bulb does when it goes out.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   

First I have heard of this, blows my mind, so very spiritual, etheric and other worldly. I love our Planet.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
also I believe it takes a very fast acting
camera to catch them. Like lightening on
meth.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   

I've seen pics of white sprites on top of storm clouds, but these are really cool! Thanks for sharing with us. (One of the reasons I enjoy ATS, btw, is that there is always some learning surprise that comes along.)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   

never heard of them before

thank you

purp

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Wow those look really low! I thought red sprites, blue jets and elves were only visible from high high up. These ones look like they're right above the trees, super cool.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Thone photos are absolutely stunning! S&F!

Thank you for sharing them.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Saw them a few years back here locally after a wicked storm, was an awesome display and went on for quite a while. s&f

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: NiZZiM
Wow those look really low! I thought red sprites, blue jets and elves were only visible from high high up. These ones look like they're right above the trees, super cool.

I really don't understand the phenomena to well. But I was under the same impression as you. I was hoping Soylent Green or one of the members more educated members on the subject would stop in and inform us.
edit on 22-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

top topics

join