It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Undercooked turkeys can harbour superbugs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
It's recently been observed in a study of 1000 US turkeys that the birds can be carriers of superbugs which are resistant to antibiotics typically used to treat them. This is of course another reminder to cook your poultry well, as poultry are already well known to be carriers of bacteria that can cause serious illness. The presence of such superbugs may be attributed to the fact that commerical farmers inject the turkeys with antibiotics for health reasons, as well as to allow them to gain weight quicker. This, in effect, promotes evolution of the organisms so they become resistant to traditional treatments.

www.newscientist.com
An in-depth analysis of bacteria in US turkeys has revealed that high proportions of bacteria found in the birds are "superbugs", resistant to many of the antibiotics used on farms and to treat people.

It is well established that commercial poultry - including turkeys - can contain bacteria that cause serious gastrointestinal upsets if it is not cooked properly. But this latest finding raises the possibility that antibiotic-resistant bacteria might find their way from turkeys into the human food chain, and possibly into hospitals.

Of the Salmonella samples grown from the infected birds, many were resistant to several antibiotics - 88% of Salmonella samples from one plant were resistant to tetracycline, and 35% from the other. Around 45% of the samples from one plant were simultaneously resistant to four antibiotics.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

With many people getting set to celebrate Christmas in a few short days this is news that should be kept in mind.

This also brings into question the use of antibiotics in our food supply and the potential effects on the population if such superbugs were to move into humans, and perhaps into hopsitals where they may have the most detrimental effects.
How many of you feel comfortable about the use of hormones and antibiotics in your food?

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Great post parrhesia. I take great care in cleaning the bird too.... prior to cooking it. I've over-cooked a turkey, but never undercooked one. I do
not feel comfortable about the use of hormones and antibotics in our food supply. It seems girls didn't develop as fast 'back in the good old days', like they do today. I believe the hormones in milk has something to do with it. My feelings on antibotics is...Less is better.

[edit on 12/22/2004 by MountainStar]

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Turkey is the other clucking white-meat!

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I agree good thread. Another thing to remember is to read up on how to prepare and stuff the turkey. Stuffing can cause many of those bacteria to develop before you put the bird in the oven if not prepared right.

www.butterball.com...

Butterball is an excellent site; You have to navigagate to the area on preparation. Even Has phone hot line 800 number for those having prblems on Christmas day.

www.norbest.com...

Never make stuffing ahead of time. To save time mix the dry ingredients, add other ingredients when you are ready to stuff the bird not before.

Always remember never stuff your turkey the day/night before. This should be done as the last step before putting it in the oven.

[edit on 12/23/2004 by shots]

[edit on 12/23/2004 by shots]

top topics

join