It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Cameron to Unveil New Limits on Extremists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   
And so it happens....David Cameron is set to unveil tough new laws on allegedly combatting extremism and terrorism in the Queen's Speech later today arising it is said from the killing of Lee Rigby in 2013. The people screamed for laws....now they have them...the plan worked

The Guardian states "Prime minister will announce counter-terrorism bill including plans to restrict harmful actions of those seeking to radicalise young people" hmm all well and good but once again we have to ask just what sweeping laws will this Bill permit? Particularly to the police and other agencies.

I was particularly concerned to read the line"The aim is to catch not just those who spread or incite hatred on the grounds of gender, race or religion but also those who undertake harmful activities for the “purpose of overthrowing democracy”. How long before strike action or protests or silly comments on facebook are considered attempts at "overthrowing democracy"? It will be very interesting indeed to see exactly how this Bill is to be worded

It is said also that a separate Bill is also being introduced to extend the snooping charter in relation to the retention of phone and email records, again all in the name of terrorism

But not to worry, when your privacy is exctinct and all you do say and think is monitored, you can rest assured "they" are doing it in your best interests, after all, they complied with your requests of "there should be a law against it"!!

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Well, I agree. However, let's wait to see the detail shall we.

However, cannot disagree here...

The bill will include new immigration rules, powers to close down premises used by extremists and "extremism disruption orders".

Source BBC

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: phyllida

I witness all the good intentions corroud under the supervison of governments. This is what will be the ever increasing future for society.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Don't forget that when the bill is introduced there will be a Committee Stage. The clauses of the bill will be examined in detail. Any genuine weaknesses will be probed in discussion. At the very least, they will be publicised.

P.S. Apparently the Queen's Speech is on the twenty-seventh.
edit on 13-5-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Oh I'm sure there will be discussions, a nice little show for the people to make it look like the Government don't have any other alternative agenda and are totally transparent, acting only in the people's best interests, and in the meantime the "real" laws will come into effect regardless no doubt free to be interpreted by the various agencies and LE as they see fit due to the usual ambiguous wording. All under the cover of terrorism, and all begged for by "us"

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Again, the final paragraph of the BBC's article is the one that worries me, under the heading "Extreme Disruption"....I see this being aimed not only at Islamic or other fundamentalist extremists but at groups such as BNP or Britain First and many other groups the Government feel threatened by. Could not Trade Unions and strikers be classed as extremists? Undermining Demcracy? Anti-Government? and many more groups could also find themselves falling under this wide umbrella

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   

...... and every few years he will drag these extremity points just a little closer and closer towards each other. Slowly, slowly catche the monkey.

Introduce change a little at a time and masses will do not nothing. Introduce a big change and it just might coalesce the masses give them something to rally around.

We fight now when we have a reasonable chance of winining or we fight later when we have no chance of wining, or, for ever hold your peace.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:10 AM
link   

This is a good thing as far as I can see/read.

These people spreading 'extreme' views/ideologies have been around the UK for the last 15 years at least.

I think 'Cameron' though is getting more scared than most s he is a 'Christian'. He's started to see their plans at last.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: phyllida
Again, the final paragraph of the BBC's article is the one that worries me, under the heading "Extreme Disruption"....I see this being aimed not only at Islamic or other fundamentalist extremists but at groups such as BNP or Britain First and many other groups the Government feel threatened by. Could not Trade Unions and strikers be classed as extremists? Undermining Demcracy? Anti-Government? and many more groups could also find themselves falling under this wide umbrella

We will have to wait and see what the Bill describes as an "extremist", but it's unlikely to include what you describe. As this ends up in law, the precision of what is covered is critical. It won't get anywhere if it is a bucket category.

originally posted by: phyllida
Oh I'm sure there will be discussions, a nice little show for the people to make it look like the Government don't have any other alternative agenda and are totally transparent, acting only in the people's best interests,

Actually, Bills do receive proper scrutiny and are often adjusted and changed on the basis. Remember that a Bill is only a proposal and does have to go through stages of agreement and vote.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   

I was particularly concerned to read the line"The aim is to catch not just those who spread or incite hatred on the grounds of gender, race or religion but also those who undertake harmful activities for the “purpose of overthrowing democracy”. How long before strike action or protests or silly comments on facebook are considered attempts at "overthrowing democracy"? It will be very interesting indeed to see exactly how this Bill is to be worded

This is definitely a red flag. I would also be very concerned. It seems to me the use of fear is being used to create new laws to slowly usher in a new age of government control over its citizens.

We've been experiencing it right here in the U.S.. Forty years ago if people got word our government was spying on us, and the police were becoming an arm of the federal government, there would have been a huge backlash by American citizens! Our police force are engaged in illegal searches and our courts are ignoring our basic constitutional rights. Our politicians are also blatantly ignoring their oath of office to defend and protect the constitution of the United States.

Our media is being controlled by corporate and government interests. It's no longer a free press in the way our founding fathers perceived it. The press no longer protects the public from government corruption or tyranny. You no longer hear of reporters or the media engaged in journalistic investigations. They are certainly being pressured to tow the government line and not to report anything that will expose government corruption or lies.

It's a fact, the U.S. invaded a sovereign nation based upon fear and lies and has occupied foreign land in the middle east. Our politicians will impeach a president based upon a marital affair yet turn a blind eye to an administration that sanctioned torture and invaded a country that caused thousands of lives based upon trumped up fear and lies. The U.S. continues to covertly meddle in other foreign countries to install regime changes for their own self-serving interests.

Instead of our government being transparent they have become much more secretive. Instead of recognizing government whistle blowers as true patriots who are trying to expose secret unconstitutional illegal programs, they have continually been prosecuted and charged under the Espionage Act. We have a sitting president who touted to make our government transparent, yet has done the exact opposite. The words of our politicians can't be trusted.

If I wasn't talking about the U.S. it would seem like I was talking about the old Soviet Union. The future doesn't seem bright when it seem like there is a dark and deep seeded agenda to remove basic freedoms from people all over the world. Citizens beware!

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

One of my biggest concerns about this new conservative majority government is how far the snooping powers are going to go.

Say what you like about he Lib-Dems, but at least there were able to keep the worst of that at bay a little bit.

Now this government can just go for it with out having to worry about appeasing their liberal lovers.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” - William Pitt the Younger

I don't have much faith that these laws if passed won't be misused or applied in questionable circumstances. Who is to determine what is extremism and what isn't?

What counts as trying to overthrow democracy?

It's all open ended and vague. Hopefully they will be more specific.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Kram09

exactly and with the statement that Police will have broader more effective powers etc etc I suppose time will tell just how this powers will be used...or mis-used

top topics

join