It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200km range WS-2 MLRS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Looks very impressive and also means that China can use these relatively inexpensive units to bombard Taiwan should war break out.

the new Chinese WS-2 MLRS is the largest and most powerful artillery rocket in the world. It has a 200kg payload, 1275kg launch weight, max velocity of March 5.6 and a max combat range of 200km....enough to reach the coast of Taiwan. Take notice of the small canard that gives extra lift and probably are used as control surface. It must has some kind of course-correction mechanism to gives it a CEP of only 700m at max range....it's truely amazing

china-defense.blogspot.com...

[edit on 21-12-2004 by Lucretius]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Sounds nice, quite an accomplishment for China. What I want to see is how it compares with the US M270 MLRS.

Just for comparrison SCUDs had a conventional payload of 900 kg. However SCUDs were larger and bulkier with a range of only 160-290 km.

SCUDs were also designed to carry a 100 kg. nuclear warhead by the Soviets back in the 60's. So the SCUDs are a little bit more powerful if less accurate. The difference is that SCUDs were more strategic and much larger and bulkier. So by comparison I think that an updated SCUD would have been better at the strategic level, which is were surface-to-surface missiles of this cailiber are most commonly used.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Impressive, relatively...

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   
They're big big missiles. Yes they would come in handy in case they invade Taiwan!

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Sounds nice, quite an accomplishment for China. What I want to see is how it compares with the US M270 MLRS.

Just for comparrison SCUDs had a conventional payload of 900 kg. However SCUDs were larger and bulkier with a range of only 160-290 km.

SCUDs were also designed to carry a 100 kg. nuclear warhead by the Soviets back in the 60's. So the SCUDs are a little bit more powerful if less accurate. The difference is that SCUDs were more strategic and much larger and bulkier. So by comparison I think that an updated SCUD would have been better at the strategic level, which is were surface-to-surface missiles of this cailiber are most commonly used.

yes I agree it's not a strategic orientated missile system like the scud, but more of an "intermediate system" that can fire multiple warheads further than any current artillery system today.

The scud is a strategic system and I believe china has in the region of 800 "Theatre missiles" pointed at Taiwan, such as the DF-21

Where the WS-2 MLRS could come in usefull is for coastal bombardment prior to invasion considering the accuracy of the system and also like I mentioned before, it's relative cheapness compared to the DF-21

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
What I want to see is how it compares with the US M270 MLRS.

I want to see how it goes against the
XM-30 guided MLRS rocket system its range is 60 + KM, and it has a warhead payload of 404 DPICM bomblets.

[edit on 28-12-2004 by blue cell]

top topics

join