It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absolutely Brilliant...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
www.commondreams.org...

The Solution to Climate Change Right Under Our Feet
New report spotlights how healthy soil takes CO2 out of the atmosphere to where it helps build climate resiliency

I saw this article today and thought how simple this could be. True nobody would get rich with this method of sequestration and some poorcompany's could loose profits but it would be helpful without the unknowable dangers of geo-engineering.

The full report is here:

www.centerforfoodsafety.org...

An excess of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the Earth’s atmosphere is warming the
planet and increasing the severity and intensity of extreme weather events.
Because the atmosphere can only absorb so much of this greenhouse gas,
excess CO2 is dissolving into our oceans, causing them to acidify. Ocean
acidification not only harms marine life, it puts food webs at risk.

While this is a grim state of affairs, there is hope, and it is right under our feet in the soil. In fact, soil is the largest “sink”—or area of storage—where additional
carbon would actually be extremely beneficial. Currently our cultivated soils
globally have lost 50-70 percent of their original carbon content.2 This means
we have a tremendous opportunity to put carbon back into the soil where it
creates positive feedback loops, making healthy soil a systemic solution to
multiple problems including food and water security. Not only is rebuilding
soil carbon entirely possible, unlike drastic climate mitigation measures like
geoengineering, it is without risk.

edit on 24-4-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Perma culture and biology have said this forever. Great op though...thanks reply to: FyreByrd

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

True nobody would get rich with this method of sequestration and some poorcompany's could loose profits but it would be helpful without the unknowable dangers of geo-engineering.

Well, you said it right there.

The goal is the carbon credit scam. Nobody cares about carbon or real easy ways to sequester it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

James Lovelock the originator of the Gaia theory whos work on atmospheric chlorofluorocarbons led eventually to a global CFC ban that saved us from ozone-layer depletion.

Not a hope in hell. Most of the "green" stuff is verging on a gigantic scam. Carbon trading, with its huge government subsidies, is just what finance and industry wanted.

It's not going to do a damn thing about climate change, but it'll make a lot of money for a lot of people and postpone the moment of reckoning.

I am not against renewable energy, but to spoil all the decent countryside in the UK with wind farms is driving me mad. It's absolutely unnecessary, and it takes 2500 square kilometres to produce a gigawatt - that's an awful lot of countryside.

There is one way we could save ourselves and that is through the massive burial of charcoal. It would mean farmers turning all their agricultural waste - which contains carbon that the plants have spent the summer sequestering - into non-biodegradable charcoal, and burying it in the soil. Then you can start shifting really hefty quantities of carbon out of the system and pull the CO2 down quite fast.

Would it make enough of a difference?

Yes. The biosphere pumps out 550 gigatonnes of carbon yearly; we put in only 30 gigatonnes.

Ninety-nine per cent of the carbon that is fixed by plants is released back into the atmosphere within a year or so by consumers like bacteria, nematodes and worms.

What we can do is cheat those consumers by getting farmers to burn their crop waste at very low oxygen levels to turn it into charcoal, which the farmer then ploughs into the field. A little CO2 is released but the bulk of it gets converted to carbon. You get a few per cent of biofuel as a by-product of the combustion process, which the farmer can sell.

This scheme would need no subsidy: the farmer would make a profit. This is the one thing we can do that will make a difference, but I bet they won't do it.

See, there are many ways to sequester carbon but the "leaders of the movement" don't really care about carbon. They care about getting a Carbon Credit Scam implemented. That is why solutions like this are not even considered.
edit on 24-4-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-4-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Bingo! Carbon credits is the biggest scam of the new century...and the TPP will eventually take it globally. reply to: infolurker

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Whaow! I want to learn more about this. Thanks!

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Study Sepp Holzer and Jeff Loughtens work with perma culture. ..its a gas. ..pun intended reply to: bitsforbytes

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Could intensive GMO cropping be depleting the soil of its natural ability to sink the carbon even more so than traditional methods of agriculture?

Like GMO has a mechanism to make the fruits or vegetables grow and suck all the soil has to offer instead of the natural way where the fruit or vegetable would not grow waiting for the soil to regenerate?

My assumption is that we need to work WITH nature and not try to make it do what we want. The soil doesn't care about money, certain humans do.

This could be the end of carbon credits initiative. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I will never forget this information, thank you!
edit on 24-4-2015 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
Study Sepp Holzer and Jeff Loughtens work with perma culture. ..its a gas. ..pun intended reply to: bitsforbytes

Tend to BioDynamics me-self...

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Not to mention that the round up kills all other plant life that could be contributing to the organic make up of the soil, which in return degrades the carbon sinking ability of the soil?

It makes sense in my head, but why does the soil need carbon? What does it bond to? How heavy is carbon dioxide? Is it attracted to earth or does it float in the air?

If carbon makes the ocean more acidic, does this make the water in the soil more acidic, thus balancing the PH of the soil?

So many questions.

I wish a day was 30 hours instead of 24....sigh....

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Yes...but its more than just gmo...its mono cropping as a whole responsible. Its not so much cars and suvs as the roads and buildings. Heat and moisture both are mitigated by the nturally occuring plant diversity. The problem is stemming from our abject modern ignorance of the connectedness of all of nature. We are here to steward not to conquer nature. reply to: bitsforbytes

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Right, diversity is good, corn, soy, beats, wheat is just way to overused?

That jives well with what I said. I dig you BLuejacket!

We are at natures service and if we are nice we get nice fruits, veggies and honey too....And other delectable flowers for our good servitude!

Now if we can only stop these billion dollar corps from doing this monoculture.......But how?

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Love me some Rudolph Steiner as well! a reply to: FyreByrd

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I wrote a thread you can check out on all of this click on my profile..i think you can find it there a reply to: bitsforbytes

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

You are referring to "We're treating soil like dirt" ?

Thanks

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Yes indeed a reply to: bitsforbytes

top topics

join