It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surge in Oklahoma Earthquakes Linked to Oil and Gas Waste Wells

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Well we have been saying this for a long time and now geologists have found strong links to increased seismic activity in the state and the injection of wastewater into the ground.

I grew up in Enid Oklahoma and don't remember ever hearing about EQs now they happen in my home town almost daily.

Last year there were 585 EQS magnitude 3 or greater. before 2008 they averaged less than 2 a year.

That stat is pretty telling all by itself.

The report warned that residents should be prepared for a "significant earthquake..
www.nbcnews.com...

Oklahoma geologists have documented strong links between increased seismic activity in the state and the injection into the ground of wastewater from oil and gas production, a state agency said on Tuesday. Currently, Oklahoma is recording 2-1/2 earthquakes daily of a magnitude 3 or greater, a seismicity rate 600 times greater than observed before 2008, the report by the Oklahoma Geological Survey (OGS) said. It is "very likely that the majority of the earthquakes" are triggered by wastewater injection activities tied to the oil and gas industry, the OGS said. It warned that residents should be prepared for a "significant earthquake."

edit on 21-4-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

My theory is that all this earth movement blamed on fracking, wastewater injections, etc. are really the direct result of those no longer secret underground tunnels running miles and miles under and across this country. Furthermore, they are using the "closed" Walmarts in which to store the debris and dirt removed to create those tunnels.

Anyone wanna buy a used tin foil hat? Used but nearly new...

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I told people when the quakes first started becoming consistent in location not far from injection sites that it was the direct cause. I was out in front of it a bit to far to be taken serious at the time. People call me that I spoke to about this years ago just to acknowledge the fact that I called it.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
It makes sense.

What happens when you take all the oils and moisture out of your skin?
Your skin gets dry and brittle then cracks.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Fracking was invented by USA

One day soon Americans will realize empires this size fall from within

Big time

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I heard a radio news report on this last night. What I found interesting was that the report (very short) first said that the earthquakes were not due to fracking, but then said it was due to the waste water from fracking that was forced by high pressure into waste wells.

Huh? So fracking isn't responsible then?

Obviously waste water as a by product of fracking was responsible, so what's the difference then? Dealing with the waste water is still part of the process, therefore fracking is the cause. But even if this is a waste water issue, how can it be that much different than fracking that is basically the same thing, ie. injecting water at high pressure down into a well?

That was one of the worst attempts in news reporting that I have heard recently to shift the blame from fracking. I can't believe that anyone wouldn't see how lame that was, are we that stupid?

I've seen the TV commercials where they show how the fracking wells go down below the water table, making it look like it has no effect on the water table, but no pictures showing how they deal with the waste water pumped up. I wonder how deep those waste water wells go? But don't worry, fracking is completely safe, no problems there.
edit on 22-4-2015 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

edit on 22-4-2015 by MichiganSwampBuck because: for clarity

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It's some big fish with some really good PR teams. I mean how many people have looked at the BTU usage on current gas units? They're going up not down and way up at that. I have a gas oven at home (came with the place) it only uses 14,000 BTU's if you look at the current ones they use 40,000 to 50,000 BTU's.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
This is utter bs I will edit this post in 2 min or so to show this.

ok so here we have a thread i started a few months ago

www.abovetopsecret.com...

here we have the usgs animations of Oklahoma earth quakes . important to note this is the ONLY animation make for ANY state

from jan 2008 to dec 2010 there were aprox 500 eqs in OK

from jan 2011 to dec 2012 there were aprox 1100 eqs

from jan 2013 to dec 2014 there were aprox 5100 eqs

from jan 2015 to present? aporx 1800 eqs

in the year 2015 there were aprox 4000! quakes

much more than are being said in this thread. this is corroborated by the usgs animation

this is an overlay i have made of the frak sites and the earth quakes

notice anything?

the eqs are not happening at the frack sites for the most part

now lets go back to the usgs animation

when you get to the 12 sec mark u will notice the eqs start clustering around the east edge of okalahoma city it stays that way until all most the 30 sec mark

this is (what i believe to be) a DUMB being built under the TINKER AIR FORCE BASE (TAFB)
en.wikipedia.org...

u will then see the eqs start to move to converge from the north and south these are tunnels to connect the bases together

thats all i have time for atm

any questions?
edit on am420153010America/ChicagoWed, 22 Apr 2015 10:37:27 -0500_4u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

How long have you got to live?

(This is an English style joke, by the way. A true warrior doesn't care.)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

I know what you mean. When these threads first started popping up, there were a few posters who would insist that fracking and earthquakes are not related and then go on to ridicule those who suggested that fracking causes earthquakes as a bunch of loony conspiracy theorists.

The correlation is too strong, over time have gathered a lot more information and have had many more quakes. Only a fool would deny the correlation between fracking and earthquakes.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

its a good day to die

a reply to: jrod

except i have made a map showing there is not really any corrolation between fraking sites and the earthquakes

edit to add the animations new site

earthquake.usgs.gov...

edit on pm420153001America/ChicagoWed, 22 Apr 2015 13:07:04 -0500_4000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Not all fracking sites are on geologically unstable ground. Also very minor earthquakes will not show up on that map.

I figured you would quickly chime in with the fracking earthquake rebuttal.

The reality is I do NOT know if the fracking is causing earthquakes, and YOU do NOT know either. There is uncertainty here, I am skeptical of anyone who claims to be so sure of anything.
edit on 22-4-2015 by jrod because: add

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

wrong

please read the threads and look at this animation

earthquake.usgs.gov...

edit

unstable areas of oklahoma

www.ogs.ou.edu...

now compare those sites to the fraking map

you will see not many areas overlap
edit on pm420153001America/ChicagoWed, 22 Apr 2015 13:14:39 -0500_4000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I really have not researched this topic enough to really give some good insight. There does appear to be a correlation to earthquakes, or the ground shaking near areas where fracking and water injection is happening.

It is naive to conclude so assertively that there is not correlation between the two.

The Dunning-Kruger effect makes me skeptical of anyone is so adamant and so sure about something. You my friend show up in all these fracking threads with difficult to interpret maps as proof of your stance on the issue and ignore what everyone who lives near fracking sites is telling us.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut
This is utter bs I will edit this post in 2 min or so to show this.

ok so here we have a thread i started a few months ago

www.abovetopsecret.com...

here we have the usgs animations of Oklahoma earth quakes . important to note this is the ONLY animation make for ANY state

from jan 2008 to dec 2010 there were aprox 500 eqs in OK

from jan 2011 to dec 2012 there were aprox 1100 eqs

from jan 2013 to dec 2014 there were aprox 5100 eqs

from jan 2015 to present? aporx 1800 eqs

in the year 2015 there were aprox 4000! quakes

much more than are being said in this thread. this is corroborated by the usgs animation

this is an overlay i have made of the frak sites and the earth quakes

notice anything?

the eqs are not happening at the frack sites for the most part

now lets go back to the usgs animation

when you get to the 12 sec mark u will notice the eqs start clustering around the east edge of okalahoma city it stays that way until all most the 30 sec mark

this is (what i believe to be) a DUMB being built under the TINKER AIR FORCE BASE (TAFB)
en.wikipedia.org...

u will then see the eqs start to move to converge from the north and south these are tunnels to connect the bases together

thats all i have time for atm

any questions?

in the op it states that Oklahoma averaged less than 2 EQS magnitude 3 or greater a year before 2008.

You call it all bs then only show EQS from 2008 and later???

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Study Links Swarm of Quakes in Texas to Natural Gas Drilling

Fracking Triggered Scores of Small Ohio Earthquakes in 2014: Study

These articles also seem to point towards the correlation of quakes and fracking/wastewater injection. I am sure I can find scores of other articles and studies that suggest the same.

edit on 22-4-2015 by jrod because: s

join