It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Game Of Thrones: How do you feel?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Astrocyte

Wow, do you write 'reviews' for a living? If you don't, you should! Your write-up is intelligent and thought-provoking.

To answer your question, I believe the average viewer either lacks the mental fortitude, or is too lazy to flex any mental muscle, towards the deeper meanings/subtleties of shows & movies in general, so yeah... the producers are asking a lot (and likely include the gratuitous violence for that reason, just to keep the mindless masses sucked in, so to bolster ratings.)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Astrocyte

Snow and the Queen made the same (correct) decisions, and for the same reasons.

If the law doesn't apply equally to all, then it undermines your position as the one enforcing said laws. This seems to be the theme of the episode/s. (can't remember if same episode or not, as we watched all 4 together, lol).

Had Jon not killed the man, he would be seen as weak, and encourage others who feel he isn't the right leader, to behave likewise. His brothers would assume that the very strict rules of the Watch don't apply to them, if they aren't enforced, no matter who breaks them. Not to mention, this guy would have simply bred more trouble for Jon later.

Same with the Queen. Had she allowed the slave to live, it would completely undermine her position with the former slavers, who would then be able to use this to show how her brand of justice doesn't apply to all, strengthening the slaver alliance against her.

Being a ruler often involves making the hard decisions, but for the good of the realm. Personally though, I think the Queen should have had a trial for the slave instead of such an instant death though. I think that would have been a wiser, political move.

I have to agree with JDmOKI's comments too, as to the meaning and great storytelling both the writers and actors did, often just with an expression alone.

edit on 16-4-2015 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I'll agree about the print vs screen Red Wedding. In print, this was far more horrific, though the on screen version featuring killing Rob's pregnant wife was a bit shocking (as this didn't happen in the books). The betrayal was much more intense in print. Same with the scene where Jeoffrey was killed. Far more horrific in the books.

Have to disagree on Theon though. The actor who plays Ramsay is a little TOO convincing in playing a psychopath, and on screen, this was even more terrifying (to me) than the same storyline in print. And more sad seeing what Theon has become (even if he does deserve it).

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
The problem is the HBO series wings it a bit and there is not as much character development as the books. But then they have to wing it because GRR Martin won't freaking finish the series/story because all he does is character development. LoL!

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Benioff and Weiss have the rough outline of where all the character arcs end up and have stated that they are trimming many minor characters (who may not appear minor in the books) due to time constraints. It's tough to cram a 1,400 page manuscript into a 10 hour (at best) season.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah. Some of the characters are combined too.

I think they do a better job than Martin, TBH. The book series story lines were too looooong. And still not done.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Are we allowed to talk about the finale yet, or do we have to wait a few more days?

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: buni11687

I'd say if someone hasn't seen it yet they were not trying too hard to watch it or were only passing fans.

For the Watch!

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I still have to watch it tonight, but I have a real good idea who all will bite it (or appear to bite it) tonight.

From the books, and from the foreshadowing of the show, I'm guessing Stannis, his wife, any men with him die. (In the last episode, you could see that most of his men weren't too happy with the sacrifice idea). I'm a bit unsure on the Red Witch. Either she's burned, or she'll hightail it out of there when things look grim. (I'm assuming Bolton will not wait for a seige, since Stannis' is pretty vulnerable on the road...though tactically, would be better to wait him out, with no supplies or horses, but eh...). If she makes it, then the idea of Jon being brought back is still pretty sound.

No doubt Jon is going to get the Ceasar treatment.

Cersai's daughter is doomed.

The perv is going to get it from Arya.

Probably a few more deaths of minor ones sprinkled in.

Sansa or Theon might bite it too, depending on if he actually turns for her or not.

Pretty sure any other major characters are safe.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

***SPOLIER***

You are right on all of them but missing Myranda.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I watched the first season but soon lost interest after that. A bit too weird for my taste and I couldn't keep up with the characters. It's very popular but it's a bit too creepy.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

You are right on all of them but missing Myranda.

Ramsey's chick? Would be cool if Sansa kills her, but I'm betting not. Ramsey killing her is more likely, hehe....but guessing then that Theon probably saves Sansa from Myranda, or something.

Can't wait until tonight to see it.

Knowing doesn't spoil it for me, I still like to see it all play out.

And next season, we'll ALL be in the dark! No more book to go by!

I watched the first season but soon lost interest after that. A bit too weird for my taste and I couldn't keep up with the characters. It's very popular but it's a bit too creepy.

The show definitely has phases it goes through. Binge watch it sometime, if you want to give it another go.
edit on 15-6-2015 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Jon could always Worg out too....and survive that way.

This could even mean that while Kit won't return (making his statements true), the character may live on through another body.

Of course, I don't think we saw a red priest resurrect someone before, just for the hell of it either....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join