It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Bombers intercepted by the RAF and Russian Destroyer and support ships in English Channel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Today has seen the Russian Navy in the English Channel for a training exercise which are being closely monitored. Just recently an incursion of Russian Bear Bombers in UK Airspace have been intercepted by RAF Typhoon Fighters.

Please find the relevant links to each credited news source below.

RAF Typhoon jets have been scrambled after Russian military planes were identified flying close to UK airspace.
SKY NEWS: RAF Sends Jets As Russia Planes Near UK Airpsace

SKYNEWS: Russian Navy Enters Channel On Way To Exercises

edit on 14America/Chicagov00pm430300 by deviant300 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14America/Chicagov06pm430300 by deviant300 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: deviant300

The UK still has naval superiority over Russia don't they?

Not that the entire Russian navy in rhe channel would stand a chance against land based air forces just from the UK.

That doesn't even include France or Germany.
edit on 14-4-2015 by johnwick because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Things are certainly getting more interesting.
We know that Russia is flexing its muscles and trying to show off, while prodding and testing for weaknesses, but as long as our forces are on guard and able to catch them out whenever they do get too close I'm not fretting too much.

Putin would have to be stark raving mental to actually attack the UK in any way.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'm just waiting for someone to come in and blame this on the US as usual. But I don't see Putin attacking anyone.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This happens more than is reported, it really isn't news.

They fly along the border of international waters, exchange insults/hand gestures/dirty magazines with UK pilots then sod back off to Russia.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ancient Champion
I'm just waiting for someone to come in and blame this on the US as usual. But I don't see Putin attacking anyone.

Well wait no more. This is clearly the US's fault. If we would pull out of europe Putin would say im sorry and go home and behave.

(The abobe is sarcasm btw)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It's nothing more than, 'I am watching you watching me watching you' as the fleet goes through the channel.
Then the chaps can all go home for a jolly old cup of tea!

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Putin ordered the northern Russian fleet and 40000 men to manoeuvres in the artic recently...... imho...that fleet would be dispatched In part to occupy the uk forces in any other incursion in Europe...

PDUK

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

your post is misleading. they were ON WAY to exercises. there are no exercises planned in the channel.
and second, these are international waters and international airspace. by definition, it was NOT interception.

so stop with the fear propaganda.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

The UK still has naval superiority over Russia don't they?

Pretty much.

Our Type 45 Destroyers are on par with your Arliegh Burke in fact even the US has admitted the sea viper Anti air system on them is a tad better . The Russian fleet is based around 70's and 80's crap still.
Sure they have more ships but when one of our destroys can take out 5 cold war Destroyers at a time I dont fancy Russians chances, especially when Russian seem to do a good job at sinking there ships themselves without us firing any shots

still Russia wont always have 80's and 70's crap. And I think we should be building more ships not cutting back.
edit on 14-4-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Not exactly news, and they can use the Channel, it's nothing nefarious.

top topics

join