It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Society/fellow humankind love/gut instinct? Can't think of a title this time...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I was walking to my local shop last night in a bad mood about some first world problem or whatever.
Approaching me is a face I don't recognise, bearded, carrying a rammed to max backpack, worn boots, stained British Army DPM woodland parka.
In the milliseconds it takes to make an assessment of a person I concluded he was a 'fresh in town' possibly ex-forces, certainly homeless bloke who was gonna ask me for money when we crossed paths. He didn't.

I walked a few more paces after we passed and I felt really bad. I saw the look in his face, and I recognised myself 25 years ago. Walking proud and pretending not to be homeless when really the world and her dog was on his shoulders.
I stopped, turned, then walked to catch him up, making contact as I was overtaking him with a good 6 foot space between me and him on my left.

"Sorry to bother you fella, but I walked passed you and thought to myself you may be new in town with nowhere to go, and I just didn't feel happy walking away thinking I hadn't tried to be decent"

"I'm alright cheers"

"That true definitely man? I know I could be some psycho prick but I'm not honest, I rocked up here 25 years ago with a backpack and # all else, and I recognised a look in your face that I once had, just wanna make sure I haven't ignored another human after thinking I could help them"

Our eye contact was good, and I could see he realised that my intentions were honest...

"I'm in the # man..."

Turned out he had just arrived in town on the bus, had £5 to his name, didn't know anywhere safe to sleep, what local services were available, just made a break from a town 80 miles away and wanted to try start again.
I have a previous career background in local welfare services so wrote a few useful contacts and things down for him (I'm a luddite geek who always has pencil and paper), walked a fair while with him chatting, then showed him a couple of good places he could sleep safe (one of them was one of my own sleeping places 25 years ago), shook his hand, gave him half my tobacco and a fiver, and wished him good luck.

I had a thought as I passed the guy, and he asked me for nothing, I solicited the conversation, and even probably made him feel a little at risk by the interaction from a random bloke which explained his initial cagey response, but I'm glad I did now.

I don't really know what the point of this thread is, but if you see someone and think "Ooh they might appreciate a proactive human kindness moment" then by making minimal effort you will either be able to make a difference, or find out they don't need any help and you can both carry on in your daily life...at the least you can walk away knowing that another person knows that you personally and genuinely give a # about fellow humans.

edit on 9.4.2015 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
There were a few people the last time I got out of jail far from home (50-100 miles away) who must have noticed the sorry state I was in because a lady gave me some money to use the payphone and for a meal while I waited for my ride.

I didn't openly engage her she just noticed I needed help I guess. Needless to say I was very humbled by that.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: corvuscorrax

Exactly what I'm on about in this thread.
Seeing another human being, making an assessment that they may need help. then offering it.
Too many ##s in the world who just bleat on the internet instead of proactively engaging with the real people in their society without being asked first.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

That is a wonderful thing you did. I wish there were more people like you. This is how the world should be.

new topics

top topics

join