It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Role Reversal: Skeptics and Believers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This is a game in role-reversal. For once, the believers are going to play the skeptics and the skeptics viz versa. The exercise is designed to create a common understanding between the two mindsets. So please be serious if you participate.

The skeptic has to formulate an argument FOR the existence of an UFO cover-up that they will present as a hypothetical testimonial where they, alone,have uncovered first-hand evidence to satify their skepticism. What that evidence is; is up to the skeptic.

The believer has to formulate an arguments AGAINST the skeptic and question the skeptics story.

I will reverse the right to create further "events" at my discretion based on each skeptics story. The events will be a natural progression from each story.

[edit on 20-12-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Hey, Thats a conspiracy against those of us undecided!

Seriously I understand the reasoning behind such a game however,
It paints the issue black and white. This in itself is against the principle
of "deny ignorance". There are many shades of grey between,
herein lies the material with which we build or deconstruct a case.
It is only by examining each case in detail that we have a clearer understanding and can attemp to shed light on the truths and falsities of the issue.
I beleive there are unexplained phenomena in our skys , but I dont assume to have the vaguest idea what they may or may not be. So many possibilitys, so many incedences, and so many circumstances.
Shades of grey!
I cannot take a stance as beleiver or skeptic for the sake of it.
Provide a case/incedent, then I have material to study and I can make an informed (about this case alone atleast) decision as to weather this is explainable phenomena or something more.
Sorry to be a stick in the mud.

[edit on 113131p://051211 by instar]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Right, I was going to say, "What if Im both?"

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Right, I was going to say, "What if Im both?"

Well, then we have a complication. I guessyou choose the role you wish to play then. Have fun.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Repeated Post

[edit on 20-12-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I'm a skeptical believer... I try to go for the plausible before the implausible and see what the evidence supports. In the absence of a lot of evidence, I then try to see how plausible it is, given what we believe we know about what's going on.

I am a believer, I've seen, read, etc. enough to know for myself that there is something to this phenomenon...

However this field is rife with charlatans, as well as simple misidentifications, so I often don the skeptic hat first.

I certainly understand the intent of the exercise though. I've done it myself with college papers, on BOTH sides of the issue. You really do appreciate both angles, and it helps you to see when one side is snowing you, etc. It's when I learned a valuabe truth in persuasive essays. It isn't what you include, but what you choose to OMIT that really gets your point across....

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The issue as underlined in the original post is the UFO cover-up. So, those who are skeptical of this; argue FOR based on a hypothetical testimony of them uncovering firsthand evidence. Those who believe; argue AGAINST the skeptics evidence.

Those who are undecided, can choose whichever role they want. This is a roleplaying game. You are playing a role, it does not necessarily reflect your opinion on the matter.

I await the first submission. The skeptic starts.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
No takers? Come on, I know it requires an imagination, but it will be fun as soon as it starts going.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I wasn't believer till recently, so I guess I must play the role of a skeptic now

OK, my question is why so many people don�t want to get it?
The answer: they have to see it by themselves. as long the dont see it or they don't watch it in the national news, they can say - there is no evidence...

top topics

join