It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Current ATS Members into Bodybuilding/Fitness Competitions?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I wanted to start a new thread to see if there are any other ATS members that are involved in the sport of bodybuilding or similar activities related to exercise/nutrition.

To begin, I will describe how I became interested in this, and a little about the related future goals that I have:

So I was always the short kid - and I mean really short. I was hung on the coathangers at school, I was an easy target. And I will never forget the handful of times that I was struck by so-called "friends" doing sucker punches and catching me off guard, knocking me to the sidewalk. I looked several years younger than my peer group. I weighed a whopping 70 pounds as a freshman in high school, wrestling in the 105 pound weight class (yes, I got my *ss handed to me).

10 years later I'm not so small, and I've discovered a passion for weight lifting and transforming my body.

This sport is so scientifically interesting to me - because you can literally change parts of your body by continually putting them under stress (the ribcage is an interesting one - certain movements and breathing techniques help bodybuilders to develop more open/wide ribcages - a feature very noticeable on bodybuilders in some of the poses).

Bodybuilding requires not only exercise, but also nutrition and sleep regimens that can be difficult to maintain.

As for myself, I have a job that sometimes requires me to work for 90 hours a week, which pretty much eliminates any plans I would have for going to the gym, getting 7+ hours of sleep per day, or doing my meal preparation. But when the work schedule is manageable (40-50 hours), which a lot of the time it is, I try to stick to my regimens/plans as much as possible.

In the past year I've really made some progress, and last week I deadlifted 345 lbs (weighing at 155 and 5 foot 6), a new personal record for me. It was only 1 rep, but I did it 3 times and I know once I've practiced I will eventually be able to do multiple reps.

As for the diet part of things - there are so many helpful nutritious items that can really boost your growth. But I want to save that topic for its own thread, which I will make in the weeks to come.

Also, I plan to compete next Spring/Summer (if my work schedule allows for it), going into my first amateur bodybuilding competition at the age of 26.

Anyway, this is something I have a life passion for - something I plan to pursue for decades to come. And because ATS is an extended family of mine, I wanted to share my passion with you all and find out if others out there may also be into this sport.

There have been a few threads about this in the past, but that's why this is "Current ATS Members into Bodybuilding/Fitness Competitions?".

Looking forward to hearing from others about this. I know bodybuilding gets a bad name from self-centered egotistical jerks and roid-heads, but in my experience and my own beliefs bodybuilding has been nothing but a positive thing for me, and some of the most caring/thoughtful people I've ever met are competitive bodybuilders - SO DON'T BELIEVE THE STEREOTYPES. A few juice heads shouldn't be giving everyone a bad name.

I will close with this : whether it is lifting weights or perusing the forums on ATS, I always try to contribute my efforts, give it my best, and encourage/lift others up while doing so. Thank you ATS

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Not a bodybuilder but I respect you for the efforts.

In the past year I've really made some progress, and last week I deadlifted 345 lbs (weighing at 155 and 5 foot 6), a new personal record for me. It was only 1 rep, but I did it 3 times and I know once I've practiced I will eventually be able to do multiple reps.

That's an awesome sign of progress and ability. 156kg for our European members; 80 bags of spuds for the Brits here.

I'm slightly heavier and my best deadlift was early last year at 120kg. Since then, the motivation has left me and I'll be using your post as another incentive to get back into it.

Last year I was running 5k several times a week, boxing and lifting weights in the gym most days. Man, it's tailed off and needs a kick start to go again! This year it's more like 5 hours a week in the gym with zero cardio, no running and no boxing. Been skipping 'legs day' for months...

I'm too ashamed to even say what I can bench this year lol

It's a lifestyle that beats most and I salute you for it

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The prep is the hardest part to me.

My husband did a bodybuilding challenge a couple years ago, I cooked the all the chicken, rice and broccoli. I tried eating the same diet but it gave me horrible heartburn (which I don't usually suffer from). However, he has struggled with chronic heartburn since age 10 and it disappeared while on that regime.

Sounds like you are very dedicated and have done very well!

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Its good to have a hobby, and I respect your personal choice.

My angle is, that if my work does not provide me with the exercise my body needs, then I need to be doing more work, not working out. Since dead lifting a set amount of weight is not a thing which ever comes up in a normal day for most people, and even those who do lug masses of stuff around do not tend to have a precise read on what exact weight they are lugging, I have no idea what I can lift.

I do know that I can push and pull a roofing advertising trailer full of pumps and water without pulling a muscle, cut down trees without resorting to powered tools, snap the handlebars off a racing bicycle barehanded, and walk twenty miles in a day without requiring medical assistance. But I really do not care what my body looks like, as long as I am having a good time, so working out does not matter a damn to me!

However, as I said before, I respect anyone who has the dedication to spend hours, and calories to boot, just sculpting themselves into whatever they want to be. The stamina required is impressive. "Props" and all that!

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
My 16 year old nephew has become very serious about his weightlifting. He started about two years ago when he came to live with me. I asked him what he wanted for Christmas and he said a weight bench. I wasn't sure how serious or dedicated he would be so I got him a "child's" version. Well, turns out he was very serious and he has the who kit and kaboodle now in his bedroom...LOL.

He goes to the gym when he's not at football and when he's at neither, he works out at home. He can dead lift almost 400 and benches 210 2 x's. He's about 5'6" and 175 lbs. It has helped him with his diabetes as he is extremely careful about what he puts in his body and I believe it has even helped with controlling the highs and lows that he was plagued with, on occasion, in the past. It certainly has boosted his confidence, which he really needed...

His definition is really something and you can really tell from the back. More so than the front view. People can't believe how strong he is! I can't believe his endocrinologist tried to dissuade him from it...

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I don't have the genetic predisposition to develop bulky muscle mass, but I am fairly strong. I am more of a lanky build. My muscles are more of the ropy tendon type. I am 6' and about 170 lbs. I can chunk 100 lb bags of concrete all day.
I have tried to bulk up, but it just ain't happening.
I have won plenty of bets on the punching bag and arm wrestling at the bar against guys half again my size.
Good luck in your pursuits.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I'm not into bodybuilding or competition but I have been doing some weight reps and yoga for toning and definition. Cardio and mostly raw or paleo as well. There are some r/ you could check out that may have some interest to you.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Not into bodybuilding, but into the fit lifestyle, for sure.

When I was a teenager, my dad have me working only the "vanity muscles" and nothing else...I'm not sure he even knew what a leg day was, let alone how to do it.

In teaching me that way, sure, I was able to bench 300 weighing 140lbs, but I couldn't squat or deadlift a damn thing. Years of working out like this put a toll on my body, and the muscle imbalances that developed because of a result realy screwed up my shoulders and lower back.

I now approach lifting weights more with a functionality-over-size mentality, meaning I tend to keep most of what I do consisting of compound movements, and I include a lot of bodyweight-only routines in there as well. I run every day I lift (three days), then have two days devoted solely to cardio (which basically includes 5- and 6-mile runs).

Keeping up the bodybuilding lifestyle--especially if competition is a goal--is something that I don't really have the drive or the self-control to do, but I sure as hell respect those who can (assuming that they can keep a good balance in their lives).

I wish you the best of luck (even if luck has nothing to do with it)--and I'm only 5'5", so I feel your shortness pain (although I never got bullied in the ways you describe).

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
I can't believe his endocrinologist tried to dissuade him from it...

It's because if you work out, it often removes the need for doctor visits and prescription drugs.

Plus, doctors don't like feeling like they haven't discovered the fix for the medical problem--seems to be a pride thing, especially when they don't fully understand the activity. It's amazing how many doctors--the supposed bullhorns of health--don't even touch a weight or go for a run.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Dude you sometimes work 90 hours a week? Why?!

I like to powerbuild. Powerlifting meets bodybuilding...but I'm not competing or anything like that. I eat healthy, train a few buddies and like the sport of it all, but don't want to compete. It takes a toll on your joints.

As far as your progress, that is an incredible achievement and I give you tons of props for making and keeping such effort. Keep lifting those heavy weights and you will keep making progress. I highly recommend you stay strict with your form. Never let it falter.

I am in my 33 and have decent numbers for my size. (1000 lb club)
5'10" 185lbs
Squat 355
Deadlift 425
Bench 285
Overhead Press 180 (doesn't count towards 1000 lbs)

All natural. Never took any type of performance enhancing drug. Ever. Just worked my butt off for years and years and maintained a healthy diet.

I have been using the 5/3/1 method for about 9 months and it greatly increased my weights all across the board. Look it up and use it. With any program or system, you want to stick to it and do exactly what it says, in order to see results.

Now, because of my age and size, I am approaching my body's limits and will probably plateau soon. I refuse to take any type of drug or steroids to get bigger...mainly because I got this far without them. If someone was in a competition or contest, then more power to them. I am not, so I don't need them. I don't condemn their use, though. They help people reach enormous numbers beyond belief.

Here is a video that blows my mind:

He is about 135 lbs. Deadlifting that much is mind blowing...

I could talk about lifting for hours, but alot of people just don't get it. The human body was not build to sit still and idle. We were built to move and use the muscles we are given. Feed the machine well, and use what you have been given and the health benefits are endless. I believe that the majority of health problems today (obesity, high cholesterol, blood pressure, etc) can be solved if people just eat right and move!

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: havok

Dude you sometimes work 90 hours a week? Why?!

I work for a non-profit in employment/contract services and with a small number of staff and only grant funding, anyone without seniority pretty much has to pick up all the slack and work 7 am to 11 pm when too much is going on (pretty much every other month for a few weeks at a time).

But thanks for your encouragement and your background - sounds like you too are a "lifer". Joint problems worry me, and any injury can be a big setback with lifting (I've had a few), but my thing is if I'm being too hard on myself and not enjoying it then I'm not approaching it the right way.

With the diet aspect of it I used to be obsessive about counting every gram of everything, and became real discouraged if I went over or had to substitute "bad carbs" for good carbs just to fit in my diet. At that point I realized my attitude was taking away from the enjoyment, so now I have a basic routine and it works a lot better (routines get messed up when work takes over though).

My work contract is up next year so once I switch jobs and have a more typical schedule I will be able to focus more on a prolonged regimen that I can stick to for months on end.

It's awesome to know I have some ATS buddies that are also hitting the gym and working on themselves in that respect. Thanks for sharing my man! P.S. do you know your record for front squats? Boy, I thought I was tough but if you've never done a front squat and then you try you realize it's one of those movements that your body (and mind) needs to get used to

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I'm only about 205-225 range at front squats. They are much harder. I definitely enjoy all aspects of working out and soon I'll be taming down the heavy weights (for me anyway) and switching to a hypertrophy routine because I'm on a caloric deficit right now. Trying to get a bit more defined for summertime!

When I get away from the heavy sets and into a higher rep lower weight workout, I will put more effort towards some Oly lifts, front squats, static squats and deficit deadlifts as well.

The one great thing about this current generation is that everything can be found online or on youtube. If I ever wanted to learn a new technique or a different lift, I found it online. Amazing times we live in.

Keep up the backflips! Thats pretty incredible talent bro.

Oh and make sure to watch all of the Broscience videos. They are hilariously awesome. Watch from #1 and work through them all.

new topics

top topics

join