It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vancouver Cop smashes window while driver asks why he was pulled over.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
So the question here is "Was the officer's actions legal?" Is he required to explain what the stop was for? Was he overreacting? What do you think?

CBC News Link.

Daily Mail

Free Thought Project.

Quotes.
A YouTube video of a Vancouver police sergeant, who smashed a motorist's window, has raised questions about the rights drivers have when they are pulled over by police.
The testy exchange caught on video shows the unidentified driver opening his window just a crack and infuriating the police officer by not stepping out of the vehicle when he was told to do so.
Instead, the driver repeatedly asked the police officer for an explanation for why he was pulled over.
"Hit the brakes, you moron," the police officer says.
"Sir, why have you pulled me over?" the unidentified driver replies.
The police officer says in the video that he can smell marijuana and warns the driver he will smash the window if he does not comply.
"I'm gonna break the window now in two seconds," the officer says, right before breaking the window.

Sattva admits he was in possession of the plant and explained himself in a blog post.

“The officers found marijuana in the vehicle, I am prescribed cannabis for medical purposes and was licensed under the MMAR. I did not sign with the MMPR as there was no way that i can afford to purchase my medicine at a ridiculous 400% increase in cost. I have been waiting for the pending verdict for the constitutional challenge. I have not been given reasonable access to a reasonable supply of medicine, thus violating my constitutional rights and greatly affecting my health and the quality of my life.”

edit on 30-3-2015 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
It seems with a lot of these videos there's more to the story. Often time I've seen the person with the video camera antagonizing the police officer in order to get something compelling on video. I'll reserve judgment until more details come forward...
edit on 30-3-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The problem is there are too many conflicting laws. All the laws that were intended to protect the citizens have been superceeded by laws protecting the officer.

You know, cause they need to go home.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ntech

Meh, I am torn.
I don't like seeing cops act like this and maybe they didn't really smell the MJ they just were using that as an excuse but he was charged with the possession so guess he had it.

I am not familiar with the laws up there, but it was my understanding they have medical, but at the same time if that was the case the driver didn't help himself by not saying anything about it.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Legal?

They will make it legal.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

The Vancouver Police Department told CBC the driver was charged with possession of a controlled substance, possession for the purposes of trafficking and obstructing a police officer.
The force also reportedly said that if drivers don't want their windows smashed in, they should just cooperate with police.
The incident took place in November but was only released at the weekend.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... 3VuMbwGAw
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

You decide.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I'd give the guy a 'come to Jesus' session in the jailhouse.

Also, please note the office didn't confiscate or erase the video.

Totally, righteous.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Well, the driver could have done himself a favour by coming clean from the get go. If the cop was going to charge him, he's going to do it anyway, better to keep one's window intact. After all, you know the cops aren't going to pay for anything they break. I find this marijuana thing stupid though, it shouldn't be illegal and seems just an excuse to feed the prison system and a cash cow for police departments. Alcohol and cops on steroids do more damage, privately and publicly, than pot smokers. I do believe the cop overstepped, but they do have to go home and the rest of us don't, is that the logic?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I think both had their part though the cop really overstepped the line by smashing the window. A person has the right to be told why they are being pulled over. And the blinding the driver with the light was ridiculous. Decent cops shine them into your lap to help you find your license/registration, etc. and most of them ease up if you know your rights rather than get agro.

The pot smell is just an excuse the cops here use to violate a person's private space. That claim gives them the authority to enter a car or building, not sure if its legal but I know quite a few people its been used on and it's really, most of the time, guess work on the part of the cops because I know some complete non-smokers that got the same excuse.

edit on 30-3-2015 by igloo because: lost the word window

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Doesn't the person have a right to know why he's being pulled over? For the cop not to answer the question when asked 3 times and than later says he smells marijuana, just doesn't sound right. I'm sure he couldn't smell the marijuana before he pulled him over. So what was the initial reason for pulling this guy over?

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
Doesn't the person have a right to know why he's being pulled over? For the cop not to answer the question when asked 3 times and than later says he smells marijuana, just doesn't sound right. I'm sure he couldn't smell the marijuana before he pulled him over. So what was the initial reason for pulling this guy over?

His brother in law owners an auto glass place in town.

He was just doing his part to help local businesses.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

That's the bit we don't exactly comprehend as yet, or at least I don't. Initially, at least in the segment we see the driver is asking what he is being pulled over for? So is it a road block of some kind or a traffic stop for 'Morons' ?

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
The officer violated his rights by not answering why he was pulled over. As it was pointed out, there is no way he could have smelled anything before pulling the guy over, so what was the original reason?

No justification for police behaviour: Legal expert

"If we start allowing behaviour like this we might as well not even have a constitution."

Doroshenko said drivers are not obligated to open their windows when asked by police, but they do have an obligation to pull over if signalled to do so and provide a driver's license through a cracked window. 

"Ultimately what they do is, in my view, an unlawful arrest, smashing his window, destroying his property and it looks like a violent arrest." 

edit on 30-3-2015 by SalientSkivvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Chances are that the pig had data from technofascist central which showed how much he bought, was holding, where he bought it, where he was smuggling it to, along with all texts/conversations which pertain to their 'job'.

Fascism
That's what it's all about.

a reply to: SalientSkivvy

# 408

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TheWhiteKnight

Another victim of this senseless war on a plant that does way more good then harm... And another story of a cop abusing his power..

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   
The officer in my opinion is completely wrong. The officer must state why you are pulled over, and why you are being arrested period. This is plain uncivil bully tactics. You don't start demanding things without cause or destroy property.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   
When cops can do this to the people its time for a change period.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
When cops can do this to the people its time for a change period.

And other cops, their superiors, lawyers, the DA, and the mayor allow them to do it.

Some of those people are elected. Hint.....hint.

As an example....my mayor was willing to be jailed by the feds for implementing a law passed by 70% of the voters in DC for legalization of cannabis. What has your mayor done for you (not you FOTL) lately?
edit on 31-3-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

top topics

join