It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory community service for grade school

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
Also, we shouldn't assume that children aren't already active in their communities or doing something productive. Who's to say they aren't already helping the community, helping their families w/sustenance farming, or the such? Or what if their parents want them to enjoy their childhoods because eventually they won't have the time to enjoy the smaller things in life? And more importantly, who would decide what types of community service are acceptable? And until what age (are you referring to 8yr olds, high school students, etc)? Are they going to paid for it, if it's a requirement? And what if they're 14 & are legally able to get a paying job? Does that exempt them from this requirement?

Well, I was thinking high school. I know the private schools when I grew up required it of younger kids too but it was a lower amount and the younger you went the less serious the work became. For example a first grader might only be expected to help at a community bake sale for 2 hours a semester.

As far as being paid goes, no... that's kind of the point, doing volunteer labor which is unpaid. I know some people I went to school with would cheat the system by working a few hours for free for their employer because that got them the community service without needing more time. I'm less than thrilled with people taking that route though because it misses the point, and that actually is slavery.

originally posted by: WeRpeons
The key is self-motivation, and what I've seen, there are too many kids today that are extremely lazy. They would rather spend their days playing video games and texting on their cell phones.

I don't know that I would call people lazy, we live in a world full of distractions. It's actually expected that for you to be a normal member of society that you immerse yourself in these distractions... tv, radio, movies, books, internet, video games, and all the rest. I don't think it's fair to hold people conforming to societal pressures against them. But giving people a reason to get out and improve their community isn't exactly a bad thing either.

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle
Nobody is saying that because one's grades are high they shouldn't have to work, good side stepping into another issue there LOL. The point I was making is "should a kid be forced to do volunteer work or be extorted out of their graduation" as in Canadakastan? I say no, this is not a prison camp or a labour camp. As far as your comparing indoctrination, as exists in our schools systems, to education (read training), I hope you're closer on the mark when it comes to bows and handguns LOL.

But a kid must already do plenty of school work in order to graduate. Isn't it just as easy to view volunteer work as a hands on civics lesson? It's also work experience.

The education system indoctrinates kids into "groupthink." It doesn't teach them to think critically and problem solve. It does not teach them how to learn, it only teaches them how to parrot "groupthink." To give an example of how restrictive the school systems programming actually is, my son was accused of cheating on math exams because he could do all the complex math in his head without a calculator, as I had taught him. We had to go into the school and intellectually bitch slap the principle and a couple of teachers by showing them how stupid they actually were. I let them try to beat my son on math problems while they used calculators, they failed miserably, silly wabbits.

That sounds to me like a problem with the people in charge, and not with the process.

This is just as stupid as the CRA (like the IRS in the US). They (CRA) say taxes are voluntary ROFLMAO, they say there is a social contract LOL, well, they have to show me where I ef'ing well signed this alleged contract so I can "torpedo" that bitch out of the water.

You're actively participating in the social contract. You're using government roads, schools, and utility grids. Benefiting from police protection and firemen. As well as many other benefits, if you want to back out of that contract move elsewhere. By agreeing to live in Canada you are agreeing to that contract, it's not something you have to sign.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

In Canada we are under statutory jurisdiction, contract law, therefore a written and signed contract is required by law. If we were not under a statutory jurisdiction but we're rather under common law, then no speeding ticket could stand in court as there is no victim. You can't have it both ways.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Out of curiosity, what province are you in? Are you talking about Work Experience? Although I graduated in '99, that's the only thing that comes to mind reading your post.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico

Out of curiosity, what province are you in? Are you talking about Work Experience? Although I graduated in '99, that's the only thing that comes to mind reading your post.

Ontario. I think my son's forced voluntary community service crap started in 2003 or 2004? No, this isn't work experience, it was forced service under threat of not graduating, extortion, and all the kids had to participate.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 3/22.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

OK ya, that's messed up. Totally do not agree with that.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp
a reply to: Aazadan

Egads, not more conscripted labor advocacy.

Sometimes I just don't know what to say.

Exactly what I was thinking, child slave labor.

That is what mandatory child volunteerism amounts to.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join