It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nothing Really Matters

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I would say none of us have ALL of the information needed to claim whether life is really insignificant or not...You also do not know what happens to you when you die and neither do I...If you can agree on these 2 things I would argue that you just have not hit on or found your lifes intended path yet and that means to me you may need to seek it out with all your heart...

Life is the effect of an unknown cause...I sometimes think all of us are on a mission to understand that cause whether its through science, religion, spirituality, ayahuasca , etc, etc...Being apathetic will only slow the moment of eventual understanding i think..its not useful to you or anyone else...Set some daily goals around something you want as everyone wants something in or out of life....if you want nothing then I'm not sure what to tell you but this thread presupposes in my mind that you might be asking for help or advice whether you admit it consciously or not...

Keep on keeping on..Lifes a garden, dig it you make it work for you....( Joe Dirt ) a reply to: Dark Ghost

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I've got some advice. Probably not the best, but better than saying "smile" or anything that doesn't work. And my advice is coming from someone who made it through some tough times...most likely tougher than most have.

Reality isn't always pretty and often can be downright ugly. The daily grind, the people (most of whom suck), etc. But who says you always have to live in reality. The mind is an awesome thing that can do a lot to help you through tough times. I'm going to tell you what helped me...which likely won't help you. But with some modification...it could.

Find something you love, or at least like. Now start becoming an expert. In my case it was recording my own music. Become a teacher to yourself and learn every little aspect about what you choose. Your goal? To become the absolute best at what you choose, or at least the best you can. And tell yourself you will become the best, and when you get to the end of this learning experience...convince yourself that you ARE the best. Music is a great choice if you are so inclined. Why? Well...because good music, a good song is an opinion. There are 7 billion people in this world and at least one of them MUST think your music, your song is the best ever.

You can do much of your learning and "branching out" online. Put aside being shy and talk to people who like what you like. They will feed your desire to continue and most of them will support you. Ignore the trolls and mow forward. Become the expert until (as if it were possible) you can't become any better. Write a book...or start one now and keep re-writing it until it is perfect. Publish it and find those people who think your book is the best.

This can last years or a lifetime. Your fantasy of becoming the best will become a reality...to some level. You will find purpose, admiration and maybe even make some money in the process. It can be consuming and distracting...but maybe that would help.

And one more thing...if you find addiction is part of you. Remember you can always choose your addiction, but you will always be an addict. Become addicted to something like music, writing, painting, etc. Make it a niche and become THE expert. MAKE your life significant.

Just some thoughts and what helped me in my past.
edit on 3/24/2015 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Medication or drugs of any kind won't solve a thing, it's the worst advice ever, "oh just make the feeling go away with pill's and repress anything unpleasant", that will never last. The only thing you can do, is at the same time the most meaningful but also hardest thing you could possibly do. That is to accept and learn to be kind to your life, or life in general completely, no matter what and let things be what they are. Yes that includes all the sh*t.

And I'am not saying you should just go ahead and do nothing at all if there is a chance to improve upon your situation or somebody else's. That would be stupid. If you can't do anything about it and is out of control then learn to accept that and stop trying to control something that can't be controlled. Of course you can't expect to do this in a day, or a week, or a month, or even several years. It can be a very long process.

The way to do this is realising that all happiness and suffering are felt internally, so that's where you should put all your attention to, the very centre of experience. Try to learn just wtf is going on in there and observe, whatever comes up observe and see what exactly is happening.

And If you start feeling guilty for feeling the way you do at that moment (for example feeling depressed or angry or w/e then FINE! Allow that to arise and pass away, life can be f*cking depressing and suck a giant d*ck sometimes, so long as you don't act on it.), then see that you will never have a clear image of what's going on if you do, and you will lose your ability to learn from it. So drop any guilt, it's unnecessary and actually obstructs you towards becoming more compassionate and gaining more understanding.

Well I can keep going on and on like this, and maybe you think it's all a bunch of bullsh*t. Which is fine. Just hoping to be of some help. And excuse my language but some things deserve to be called what they are.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

They say that because happiness is a choice. Sadness is a choice. Now it is easier said than done, but it still doesn't change that. When we have certain external things in our present experience, we allow ourselves to become happy, and falsely attribute the cause of happiness to those things. We simply allow ourselves to be happy in the presence of them. Some people have nothing or have less yet they are still happy because they choose to be happy. It is not about having this or doing that. There is no inherent meaning in anything. It is us who decides what has meaning. And if every moment is a blank slate, waiting to have meaning imparted onto it, then it comes down to you.

I am not saying you should be happy with nothing or with whatever you have, however. We all have our issues in a world which bombards us with negativity so we buy things, smoke things, drink things, etc. We aren't supposed to escape reality though to fix this. The idea is to shape your reality the way you want it. You don't have to be talented to do something. You don't have to be a professional or exceptionally skilled at a hobby in order to be happy. If you can, work a job, spend as little as possible. Save up and go to south America and do ayahuasca. You will not be the same person afterwards. Do research and find a shaman to do it. Dont just smoke dmt in an apartment or something. You can live in south America for $10-30 a day. If you're female, then you might want to find a shaman in the US instead. But they are here, start online if you're interested. That is a quick fix to snap you out of it.

Otherwise, you need to keep looking for the right inspiration that will help you on your journey. Dont give up! I've been depressed for years but I've chosen to redefine depression, and its not so bad. Society labels it bad and drugs you for it, makes you feel like something is wrong with you. NOTHING IS WRONG WITH YOU. OR ME. OR ANYONE ELSE WHO IS DEPRESSED.Our society is what's wrong. Its not the individual, its the environment. Put me in a cubicle and ill have go mad. Put me in a truck and I'm much better. Not optimal, but better. Yeah I went to school and got an engineering degree. But I can't do what I want with it; it's just a piece of paper after all. So I had to find something more compatible with who I am.

There is a lot I can say about this but I realize I can't, not especially without knowing more about you. One suggestion is to go to the internet archive and download audio files of "Bashar". You can also find some clips on YouTube but internet archive is more comprehensive. Listen to many things before giving up if at first you don't like it. He is supposedly a channeled being. But that doesn't really matter who or what he claims to be. Just focus on the information and how it might help you. That's all that matters. He helped me a lot and educated me on a number of things and really filled in some gaps in my understanding of reality. I played a short clip for a friend and it brought her to tears and even though she has only heard minutes of it, it changed her outlook and understanding of life etc. Bashar may not do it for you. But the idea is that something or someone might. You just have to keep trying.

A pill won't save you. It often will only numb the issue and keep you from solving what it really is that plagues you. There has been alot of terrible advice from people saying to do get medicated that I would stay away from.

Also learn to meditate. It's free and anyone can do it. And it has a very good chance of helping you. It will help you realize things really do come from within. Yoga can help with that too.

Good luck.

edit on 24-3-2015 by metaphysicalninja because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun thats one of the BIG issues today. Take a pill to feel better.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I wasn't going to add to this thread until I read some of the responses. There are many good things said but a couple that were not.

First, about 'choosing' the way you feel. Yes, you do. But you don't realize that you can until you've done some preliminary work paying attention to the monologe in your head, the stories you tell yourself about yourself, what others 'really mean' and 'what they are doing to you'. You need to notice and be aware of your 'self-centeredness'.

Someone mentioned Buddhism but any form of regular meditiation, without expectation, will help.

Second, happiness (peace, contentment, ease and well-being) is our natural state. It is a product of being fully present in life and not about things and activities. Happiness is a function of attention and intention and with practise will eclipise the ego's chatter and self-obsession.

Someone talked about acceptance and that's an important cognitive skill to practise as well. Practise not fighting everything, being mad about everything, just feel it. The less you try to fight or escape whatever it is you are feeling at any given time, the stronger that feeling will become. "Whatever gets repressed, gets expressed", is a phrase a psych teacher of mine used a lot. Those nasty feelings, those helpless and hopeless feelings, use them as an object of your meditation - explore them and they will lose their hold over you.

But you have to hurt enough to be willing to work on YOU consistantly. Expecting something outside of yourself to 'fix it' is a fool's errant - it ain't gonna happen.

A couple of resources if you are interested.

"The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle is a good one (I argued at the book through two readings - lol)
"Don't Bite the Hook" by Pema Chrodron (really helps with the whacked perspective we have on things)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope suicide is a bad choice. Life is a gift never return it unopened. No matter how painful or pointless life seems keep in there for the long haul you have to finish. Someone was talking about not murdering well that includes not murdering yourself. You never know what tomorrow will bring. Once your gone you cant come back.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
We choose how we feel, and how we react to situations that arise in front of us moment to moment.

Most people though choose to blame others for the way they feel: "He made me so mad!"

No, you allowed that individual to make you feel the emotion of anger. When you learn to detach and just worry about yourself and not what others think/say about you, you've recovered a huge chunk of your personal power. Why give that away to someone else by wasting energy on them being upset/sad/angry?

EDIT:
I'd recommend "The Five Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz for someone just getting started. "The Power of Now" might be a little heavy for some people right off the bat.
edit on 24-3-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
They say true happiness cannot come from an external source but rather from within. How can this be the case when all you feel inside are sadness and inadequacy? Where is the happiness supposed to come from? Find a hobby to take part in? What if you are not really that talented or skilled at anything? Ask friends to spend time with? What if their presence does not do anything for you? Exercise? Well it doesn't really help. Play games to distract yourself from the reality of your existence and escape the issues in your life? Been there, done that.

Do this, do that, listen to that person, seize the day! After all, you only live once, right? Be the best person you can be. Do the things you most enjoy in your free time. Form strong, meaningful relationships with others. Think of what you do have and be appreciative of it, not worrying about what you don't have. Admire the achievements of others and share in their joy, don't be envious or have a chip on your shoulder.

I've heard all this advice, but it doesn't really address anything. The best I can do is continuously remind myself that this current feeling is only temporary and will pass by. Then, I will be in a more positive, clearer and better state of mind.

How about trying meditation, And also self medication with medicinal mariuhana, wich contains Low THC, And a larger portion of CBD?
I know it may sound crazy, but i cannot see no reason to not try? Find a quiet And chill place at home, once a week, watch a movie with Low sound, Low music of you're taste, smell of flowers, good food, water.

It does only seem like you have a negative set of mind, And nothing realy bad going on inside, BUT! Give it Some more time to see if it goes of?
If mariuhana is a Tabu with friends And family, Then don't tell anyone either, keep it to ure self, And have Some self control, ONLY once a week, not less, not more often.

If You medicate with doc. Pill jar, i'll have to say that it isn't a very good solution.

Good Luck, And happy findings

Peace

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join