It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Customs Quietly Launches Facial Recognition Experiment at DC Airport

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

The next time you come back from overseas and flash your American passport at Washington, DC’s Dulles airport, customs officers might take a picture of you and use facial recognition technology to figure out if you really are who you say you are.

On March 11, the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) quietly rolled out a new facial recognition pilot program to help custom officers catch “imposters,” or people using a passport that isn't theirs, an agency spokesperson confirmed to Motherboard on Wednesday.

US Customs Quietly Launches Facial Recognition Experiment at DC Airport

Well this is the capital after all. Ratcheting up security there has a lot of national security bonafides. I am wondering how long they will end up keeping the data? Could they in the future roll back time and say catch you talking to a woman not your wife and blackmail you with the images into doing something for them. I know blackmail is a major use of spying information so I am concerned this is going to be used for influencing political figures more than protecting the homeland.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Oh they didn't have this already ?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I have been under the impression for some time that my bank machine uses it. If I hide my face when I walk up to it and put the card in, nothing much happens. Then when I face forward, it begins.

Actually I'm rather surprised that DC hasn't been using it already.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

So you're telling me that if you're looking away you have to do an aboutface before the ATM will respond?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Ha! Some cats are on the fur ball tonight, so to speak.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Brits have been using it on their poor huddle masses for a LONG time. They have cameras everywhere. Much bigger deal there because its the size of Kansas. The issues seem to be around the quality of the image. I would expect that this would be something we would probably want to happen. The bigger issue is who exactly are they comparing pictures too.

Source

Facial rec in UK

V

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I bet they've had it for a long time.

Now they tell you it's a "test".

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Do you mean like a test of how people will react when they become aware of the facial recognition technology being deployed to access points in the US?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   

That's possible.

Like the slow boiling frog theory.

They do it first, then tell you later.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   

I always give the cameras the 1 finger salute. I've pretty much determined I have no privacy, even in my own home. Welcome to the "change" . So long the U.S. we knew.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

I always give the cameras the 1 finger salute. I've pretty much determined I have no privacy, even in my own home. Welcome to the "change" . So long the U.S. we knew.

I guess at least you are making an acknowledgement and expressing yourself. That fact that we do and say nothing "is" giving our consent.

As I say quite often, "You teach people how to treat you." If you do and say nothing when someone mistreats you, it is the same thing as telling them that it is okay, and they can continue, because you are going to allow them to do with and to you whatever pleases them.

My mother likes to remind us that "no" is a valid answer. I like to remind that saying and doing nothing is "nonverbal" consent.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

It's iimpossible for me to keep my mouth shut. I was conditioned by growing up in a household of 6 sisters, 2 parents and 1 bathroom!

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   

When people do or say nothing in the face of oppression it is not consent it is capitulation and recognition of an inability to fight back against the oppressor.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence

When people do or say nothing in the face of oppression it is not consent it is capitulation and recognition of an inability to fight back against the oppressor.

I don't want you to think I am playing a game with semantics, but I think if I agree with you, then I am being hostile to towards those that have decided to give their consent without dissent.

Definition of CAPITULATION:
1 a set of terms or articles constituting an agreement between governments

2 a: the act of surrendering or yielding
b: the terms of surrender

I may be wrong, but I read your post to say people that say or do nothing are just rolling over and taking the cowardly way out. That they have given up without trying, they believe there is no hope, and we are doomed regardless.

I think the truth is they are "very" hopeful. They want to believe someone is going to step up, stop the madness, and prevent the chaos. They have listened to enough keyboard warriors and internet intelligentsia, that they are convinced, in their own minds, that the cavalry is just around the corner. I don’t know if it will make a difference or if it will be too late, when it becomes crystal clear that the cavalry isn’t coming, the elected officials have flown the coop, the cupboards are bare, the military is abroad, and our only hope lies in our own hands and that of our neighbors.

You may be right, but I still believe we have a chance to turn things around. If we are doomed regardless, then we have no choice but to try. If the outcome is going to be the same, doing nothing guarantees it, while trying may fail, it provides us with that kooky outside chance that we may actually win.

top topics

join