It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2,700-Year-Old Osiris Statues, Small Sphinx Unearthed at Karnak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Link

A team of archaeologists from the French-Egyptian Centre for the Study of Karnak Temples has made a new discovery near the temple of Ptah at Karnak, Luxor, Egypt, during routine excavation works.

Another great discovery. I can only imagine what is buried beneath all that sand. I just want to suck it all up with a giant vacuum cleaner to reveal all of the secrets that hide beneath.

“Built during the reign of Thutmose III (1479 – 1424 BC), the temple of Ptah was restored, enlarged and adapted throughout the period before the reign of Emperor Tiberius (14-37 AD),” the scientists said.

Below: Head of 2,800-year-old statue probably representing Imhotep, an architect, high priest, and physician who lived around 2650 BC.

“The dig has yielded 38 statues, statuettes and precious objects, making this an exceptional find, both for the quantity and quality of the religious artifacts brought to light,” they said.

Below: Osiris statuette and figurine.

The article didn't mention any signs of looting so that's good. Its upsetting to think we only get what's left after the reaping. Grave robbers and looters who prevent us from understanding our past to the fullest have there special place in hell.

These artifacts date from the 25th Dynasty, also known as the Nubian Dynasty (760 – 656 BC) – the last dynasty of the Third Intermediate Period of Ancient Egypt, and include 14 statues and figurines of Osiris, three statuettes of baboons, two statuettes of the goddess Mut, head and fragments of a cat statuette, two unidentified statuette bases, and several inlays – iris, cornea, beards, headdresses.

Below: Statuette of a goddess discovered near the temple of Ptah.

I find it interesting that for a place built 3,500 years ago, it contained so many different treasure from vastly different time periods such as the statues of Osiris found only 2600 years ago. As recent as this find may be, there have been many amazing discoveries already found at the site of Karnak and the Luxor area. You will be amazed!

Pictures of the newly excavated sphinx are slim at the moment. Archeologist have recently been given the green light for restoration and pictures should start emerging soon.

“The statuette is complete, with the exception of the nose that seems to have disappeared in antiquity. The left front paw, broken, was found positioned on top of the right front paw of the sphinx against the edge of the pit. No inscription was found for the moment, but the restoration of the sphinx starts only.”

edit on 8-3-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Couldn't they take the sphinx out of the pit? I would like to see the face.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
Couldn't they take the sphinx out of the pit? I would like to see the face.

It probably looked similar to this one. Isn't she beautiful?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

I was thinking the same thing, would love to see what the original face was.

Great thread eisegesis, S&F. I too wish they would allow more excavations, especially under the sphinx.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

We are now entering the drone era. Think of the possibilities.

Imagine sending mini drones through the deepest, darkest caves in existence only to discover 2 Pac, Elvis, Hitler and every kid who's face was ever on a milk carton. They each have their roles. Hitler does dishes, sweeps and dusts in his pink apron, Elvis is a hunter/gatherer who collects glow worms and blind lizards, while 2 Pac holds down the fort. The kids are used for slave labor until they mature only to be served as tomorrows soup of the day. True story bro.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

What is this, an ancient Egyptian temple for ants?

But seriously, nice find.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

What is this, an ancient Egyptian temple for ants?

edit on 8-3-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
I would like to see the face.

This is what most interests me. I have read many compelling threads/posts on ATS suggesting the head of the Great Sphinx of Giza was actually carved out to replace its original lion head. So I find it fascinating this one appears to also be a humanoid face.

I suppose they were just making statues in that tradition and unaware the Great Sphinx originally had a lions face [if in fact it did].
edit on 8-3-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

I have never seen an image of the sphinx that brought to life what it could have been like in my mind like that before. Thanks for sharing.

Nice.
edit on 3 8 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

i think the dig started in 2008 , i was in Luxor at that time when a man was digging out the footings for an extension on his house and he uncovered a sphinx .
it was reported that there was a row of sphinx's on both sides of a road leading to the karnak temple .

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Some more fascinating info...

A completely new recording method was used during the dig that made it possible for them to virtually reconstruct each step of the discovery with millimeter accuracy. How amazing would it be to download the excavation site, slap on VR goggles and start digging. Hurry up future!

The excavation of the objects was recorded by a topographer specialized in archaeology who made a series of photogrammetric reconstructions by high-density image correlation, from the discovery of the first object until the complete removal of the statues from the pit. This technique consists in compiling hundreds of photographs taken during the fieldwork to make a virtual 3-D reconstruction of each step of the excavation. By linking these photogrammetric reconstructions with very precise topographical reference points -- to within a few millimeters -- this method makes it possible to locate all the objects after they have been removed and study their layout in detail. It also enabled the scientists to assemble a video of the whole removal operation, which needed to be completed rapidly due to the objects' value, while preserving the data collected on the site as it was discovered.

top topics

join