It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 25 Sentenced to Death in the U.S. are Innocent, Study Claims

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Why thank you.

I am not sure what question you want answered.

First off, there should be two reasons to put someone in jail.

One is to protect society as a whole. So sure, murderers, pedophiles, bank robbers should be locked up.

But we should be trying to re-educate and treat those in our prisons. We should be helping them.

As long as our system is based on retribution, this will never happen.

jjkenobi quotes a report that says 3 out of four ex prisoners are rearrested.

Well, what the hell do you expect. You don't help them in any way, you throw them into prison and throw them out on the street afterwards and say hey, they haven't changed. Well, no they haven't. Why would they?

How many of those 3 out of 4 simply ad another smoke of MJ.

Now, if you expand that search and go outside of the US to some of the more enlightened societies, you find very different stats. Why, because the prisons act as re-education and treatment centers.

The whole system is nuts. Prisons for profit is just so wrong it hurts my head just thinking about it.

The US has the highest percentage of people in prison in the world.

Now tell me the system can work. It can't. The system is flawed at all of the levels.

Politicians make the law, Police, police the law, judges judge the law and prisons make a profit.

The system is broken at all of those levels. Even in the most fundamental level, it is broken.

Did that answer your question?

P

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

First off, there should be two reasons to put someone in jail.

Before I answer, did you forget the second reason or am I missing something, lol? I understood your post, but I don't think I could formulate a proper response without hering the second part.

If the second part was "to educate" them, then that would only explain what would be done to them in prison and not as a reason to justify sending them there. But then earlier, you mentioned murderers, pedophiles and bank robbers so, just for fun, could you narrow the list down to ten crimes or even five that would get you thrown in prison? And how do you reeducate a sheep f###er?

The crime can only judge prison time and not the lack of education. You cant send me to jail for being stupid!

I won't go!

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

First is the safety of the rest of us.

Second is to punish but it should also be re-education.

America has already got to the stage that England got to. Steal a loaf of bread and get deported to Australia.

The punishment must fit the crime but you also need to help the person.

Let me put it this way.

A person goes to jail for violence. While there, he is diagnosed with uncontrolled PTSD due to childhood trauma. A psychologist works with him for 12 months and in the end the condition is stabilized and the person is no longer a threat to himself or society.

Do you keep in in jail for the next five years or let him return to society.

As it is now, he will emerge with greater issues than when he went in ... but he has done his time ... so release him. Of course he will come back!

Right now, the system wants him back because he is a cash cow for the prisons.

P

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

America has a Recidivism rate of 74%

Other countries can get it down to 10-20%

What does that say about the US system.

P

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

well answer this how do you give justice to someone who was prosecuted g.o.d. forgive put on a death sentence and killed yet s/he was innocent. this article is talking about the not guilty. justify please
edit on 4-3-2015 by MimiSia because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2015 by MimiSia because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join