It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

safe space for satelites ??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Gosh I'm going to be more and more confused about our world...I found this:

from space.com SAN FRANCISCO -- A pocket of near-Earth space tucked between radiation belts gets flooded with charged particles during massive solar storms, shattering the illusion it was a safe place for satellites.

The safe zone was thought to be virtually radiation-free, a good region in which to deploy satellites so they'd be protected from the potentially debilitating effects of magnetic storms that can slam into Earth at millions of miles per hour within a day of leaving the Sun.
But a new study of a string of severe storms last year debunks the notion. Scientists discussed the work here today at a meeting of the American Geophysical Union.

The once-suspected safe zone is called the Van Allen Radiation Belt Slot. The Van Allen belts are like two donuts of electrons around Earth, all trapped by the planet's magnetic field. The safe zone is a thick circular ribbon of space between the two donuts, from about 4,350 miles (7,000 kilometers) above the planet to some 8,110 miles (13,000 kilometers) up.

I'm totally not a science gig, so please could somebody explain what it means?

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
It just means that the spot in space around the Earth where scientists once thought was safe for satellites isn't.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
well this I figured out myself, but what does it mean - we cannot put more satellites, unless we have to find another place for them? Why do we need to put satellites there??

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazzgul
well this I figured out myself, but what does it mean - we cannot put more satellites, unless we have to find another place for them? Why do we need to put satellites there??

We can put the satellites there if we want. There were plans to put or move satellites there in case of a coronal mass ejection hitting the Earth. The radiation belts were thought to deflect the incoming radiation, which it turns out they don't. It's basically saying that there's not a real safe place to get satellites into if a really bad CME heads our way.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I don't think there will be a problem with launching more satellites...most are well sheiled from radiation (hence all that metalic foil). Maybe they sill just have to add more or use thicker foil.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Well, by sending more sattellites we will have a backup shield, just in case our Magnetic field ever decides to "stop working".

top topics

join